Author Topic: Boomer's Rig  (Read 9369 times)

Boomer-61

Re: Boomer's Rig
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2010, 06:38:17 AM »
I agree about the turning down concept but I am keeping my options open.  In my limited mind, bigger is better, ie the shaft.  I can jump up a tooth or two and get the inside dia where I need it.  That will get it to a point where chain wrap will be adequate and to fit the 1" dia shaft.  Where is good source for sprockets and hubs?  I have some split key'd hubs I can use I suppose but solid would be better.  I still need some sprockets with a large enough ID.  I see things on the different sites but they lack complete details about size, ie the two sprockets I bought in which the ID's are way too small.  I can always run a tensioner/idler cog to get more wrap if need be but I'd like to avoid it to simplify things. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 06:45:02 AM by Boomer-61 »

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2010, 08:00:47 AM »
I'd get a keyway cut in the jackshaft between that brake disc and the clutch.  Doesn't have to be keyed all the way only couple inches in center.  Tractor Supply has keyed hubs that you weld sprocket too, 1" hub and sprocket as small as 12 teeth.  Dont remember how many teeth on that final sprocket but a 70t 520 sprocket is prob 12".  Might be better keeping the 40 sprocket and doing a double chain sprocket setup to keep smaller.  Plus I've been wanting to see someone do it.  ;D
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Boomer-61

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2010, 08:33:12 AM »
Thanks Carl, you want me to be the test lab victim! ;D  Yeah, I thought about that too, that big old sprocket hangs down detracting from my ground clearance.  Anyone out there use a double jack shaft set up?  I hate to complicate issues but if it'll work out better in the long run....

Boomer-61

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2010, 12:08:53 PM »
Carl,
    I ran a lot of numbers this weekend and couldn't figure out a good combination to maintain my 7-1 ratio with the double shaft idea so I think I'm stuck with what I got. I did get the "weldasprockets" from Tractor supply.  I got a couple and the smallest one for a one inch shaft is 16 tooth.  They had smaller tooth counts but they wont fit a 1" axle.  That changes my ratio to about a 6-1 so not a huge compromise.  I do have a guy that can cut that keyway for me so I'm off and running.  Thanks for your help.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2010, 01:29:36 PM »
my local bomgaars has 11tooth weld-sprockets
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Boomer-61

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2010, 07:32:53 AM »
Voodoo, the problem I had with the lower tooth count sprockets is that the hole in them was too small to accomodate the mounting hub for a 1" dia axle.  Do the sprockets at Bomgaars have 1" ID holes and ready for mounting on a key'd axle?  The other issue I noticed is that the smaller count sprockets had such a small OD that the chain would rub on the hub.  I'll do a search for Bomgaars and see what they have.  It would be nice if they had one to fit my need and I could run the lower tooth count and maintain my ratios.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 07:51:42 AM by Boomer-61 »

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2010, 07:43:22 AM »
i dont think they show squat on their website.. i'll go after wokr tonite and see.  i'll look if they have them for a 1" shaft, and weather a chain would rub or not.

almost forgot to ask which chain size? 40 series? i know the 11tooth ones i was looking at before were for 50series.

Boomer-61

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2010, 09:38:54 AM »
Yeah, I checked them out and you're right, no on line cataloge.  I'd get both and I have both a 40 series and 50 series chain and sprocket.  I'm mocking things out with the 40 series and if I get it all up and running I will eventually run the 50 series.  If you verified that they have them and are in stock, I could call and have them ship'm out to me.  That'd be a big help and I'd really appreciate it.  I don't want you to go out of your way on my account but it'd be like someone asking me to go to Home Depot.  I just need an excuse to go. ;D

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2010, 10:39:29 AM »
i go to lunch here soon. i'll swing over there and see what they got.  if they have what you need i can get it and ship it to ya.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2010, 12:17:26 PM »
went to bomgaars.  Smallest sprocket for 1inch shaft in 40 series is 16teeth.  smallest in 50 series is 13teeth.   but!!! smallest sprocket there was 11teeth(cent hole of 1-1/8", which the hub for it fits a max of 7/8" shaft) you could easily bore that to 1inch.. and have the keyway made to match.

Boomer-61

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2010, 01:40:03 PM »
Thanks for looking.  That's what they had at Tractor Supply and I picked up both.  I even got one with a smaller hole and tried expactly what you suggest, bore it out.  It's hardened steel and working it with a file for 10 minutes barely touched the steel.  I think I would have to take it to a machine shop to get it bored out.  But Hopefully I can get what I have to work.  I just need to get it running with what I have and fart around with fine tuning later. Thanks again for checking that out for me.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2010, 03:11:46 PM »
machine shop can do it easily.

Boomer-61

needs parts
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2010, 03:11:55 PM »
I'm looking for some mounting tabs for 1" dia tube steel.  The hole needs to be for a 1/2" bolt.  The prefered distance from the tube to the center of the hole needs to be as close to 1" as possible.  I need 16 if anyone has any lying around their garage needing a new home.  The other thing I need is heim joint spacers, the high offset alignment type that take the 5/8 hole in my heim down to 1/2".  I need 16 of those also.  If I'm not making myself clear enough I can take some picures of exactly what I need. 
Thanks. 

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2010, 03:46:32 PM »
I bought my bushigns from this guy.  the link is for tabs like you need but radius for 1.5" tube. I messaged him and he will make whatever radius ones you need. just tell him you need them to fit 1" tube.  but i know my 1"PST (pipe size tube) is actually 1-1/16".   

Ebay Tabs
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 03:48:45 PM by Voodoochikin04 »

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2010, 07:14:19 PM »
Thanks for the PM Boomer. I can certainly help you with these parts and be competitive.  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal