Author Topic: Boxed trailing arms  (Read 7123 times)

Offline Yoshi

Re: Boxed trailing arms
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 07:13:58 AM »
I've been thinking about switching to the boxed arms for a while now, but was under the impression it would take a lot longer to weld them up than to just building them out of tube.  I've seen them done different ways, with some that have quite a bit of internal cross plates, and some that have none at all, I wasn't sure the best way to go about constructing them, but I may go ahead and gets some drawings over to the plasma cutter so I can at least get a set built and see what I think.......

What's the most common thickness to go with?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:19:03 AM by Yoshi »

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 11:12:40 AM »
Some well place bends cut down on welding time significantly.

bottom plate .156-.187
side and top plates .090-.125
internal ribs .060-.090

MC powered buggy's are going to be on the lighter side.

01SANDRAIL

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 03:03:28 PM »
The ones that I am building right now are made almost entirely out of 11ga. mild steel plate.
There are some other braces or (Ribs) inside as well. I am hoping to get them put together real soon. I am in the process of moving into the new bigger shop so as soon as that happens I am going to get some hood time and try them out. I know how long it takes to make a good set of tubular arms and I think these will be much faster. I will let you know once I have completed both sets that I am making.

standfast

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 02:46:35 PM »
If I were you I would make those top and bottom plates extend past the side plates and make them key together.  This
will give you a stronger inside corner weld as opposed to the more prone to cracking outside corner weld. BDKW1
suggested that to me after mine were already done and wished I could have gone back and used his advice.  Mine
have not cracked and I don't think they will but the idea made sense.  Then doing like that would make keying the parts
together easy and make assembly a cakewalk.  Boxed arms go together MUCH faster than tube arms.

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 04:02:55 PM »
I believe I posted this up before but I will do so again as it may be a great refrence for someone to use if they wish. This is a set that I drew up in CAD to have cut for a race truck. These are the front lower control arms for a double A-arm 4X4 suspention...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 06:57:02 PM »
Anyone want to show some pics  of the bung attachment/anchor  method they use in the sheetmetal.Seems to me like this is rarely addressed, and I'm curious as to how some of you have done it. . 
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 09:05:30 PM »
the above arms are used with mono balls.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 12:21:24 AM »
Anyone want to show some pics  of the bung attachment/anchor  method they use in the sheetmetal.Seems to me like this is rarely addressed, and I'm curious as to how some of you have done it. .

On A-arms, I do the side plate first and weld the insides with the mig and tig the outside edges.

On a trailing arm in the rear, I have 4 pieces the hit it. The inner to get tiged to the end and then the outer pieces  hit about half way down the bung and get tiged on.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal