Author Topic: molested st2  (Read 11044 times)

Offline Tydra

• VIP
  • GRASSHOPPER
molested st2
« on: February 12, 2009, 05:53:16 PM »
so i've decided i need a winter project. i've decided to build a single seat mini-buggy. i had a 1600cc dual port vw based 2 seater as a toy when i was in high school... sadly it had to go when i needed money for university. i surfed around looking at plans. after protodie told me he didn't have plans available and deciding the rorty design seamed a little to complex i settled on the badland st2 longtravel. i purchased the plans and modelled it in 3d cad so i could make sure i understood where everything went and upgraded based on the weaknesses i've read about the design.
i started by tubing the whole frame, eliminated almost all the square stock. i went looking for an engine, thinking 500-600cc, happened across an ex-stunt bike at a salvage yard a little bigger (2003 ZX-9), bent to shit but runs great, got a great deal for this much power (150hp @11000rpm, 74.5 ft.lbs @9200rpm http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kaw...ninja_2003.php). added a RickS design rear end. i decided to go with type 4 cv axles. i'm mounting the motor in front of the rear drive to keep the center of gravity low and closer to the front.
so far i've got:
-most main tubes tacked together
-plate for the rear carrier, rear uprights, spindles a few other things lasered
-some sub-assembly tacked
-complete running zx-9r motor
-poly seat with two tone cover
-oem gauge cluster
-5 gallon racing fuel cell
-trailer hubs and spindles
-gps
tools(only the ones i bought to build this thing):
-20x24 two car attached garage
-licoln 175
-homemade got-trikes bender
-cheapo HF tube notcher
-digital angle finder
-abrasive chopsaw
parts on the way:
-wheel stubs, hubs and center shaft with flanges from rickS
-soon to be ordered heims, HMSs and bungs from bug
-soon to be ordered bearings and flange from oshawa bearing
-second round of steel to finish frame and suspension

i went at it strong til just before christmas then cash got tight, i'm almost back on top of it now and since i survived the job cuts at work it's time to get back into it.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:56:18 PM by Tydra »

Offline Tydra

• VIP
  • GRASSHOPPER
Re: molested st2
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 06:03:50 PM »
more pics and one of my other toy, more pics to follow once i get back on my desktop.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 08:48:14 PM »
we all like pictures here - you will fit in just fine.
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Tydra

• VIP
  • GRASSHOPPER
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 08:49:57 PM »
so here's where i ask you guys for help, i need a lot of parts. i'm hoping that some of you have some spare, extra or change of plans parts gathering dust that i could take off your hands for a fair(cheap) price. so here's the short list:

-2x wilwood ps1 calipers and pads (or equivalent)
-4x CVs (type 4, 928, 944)
-4x CV boots
-2x 18 3/4 axle 33 spline
-1x 8" end load rack and pinion
-2x 10" travel shock (air or coilover)
-2x 14" travel shock (air or coilover)
-1x 5 point harness
-1x in line brake balancer

i'm sure i'm forgetting something, if you have something else you think i could use. let me know. PM me with your offers, let's help eachother out, i save some cash, you make some cash. everybody wins.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 09:01:03 PM »
so here's where i ask you guys for help, i need a lot of parts. i'm hoping that some of you have some spare, extra or change of plans parts gathering dust that i could take off your hands for a fair(cheap) price. so here's the short list:

-2x wilwood ps1 calipers and pads (or equivalent)
-4x CVs (type 4, 928, 944)
-4x CV boots
-2x 18 3/4 axle 33 spline

-1x 8" end load rack and pinion
-2x 10" travel shock (air or coilover)
-2x 14" travel shock (air or coilover)

-1x 5 point harness
-1x in line brake balancer

i'm sure i'm forgetting something, if you have something else you think i could use. let me know. PM me with your offers, let's help eachother out, i save some cash, you make some cash. everybody wins.

I have just bought most of those parts.  If you don't want to waste time on Fleabay, there are some people here that can help.  PM them, they all gave me great service:

LiveWire

Doug Heim

Bugpac

Rick S.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 09:18:14 PM »
Good to see you bringing your build log here.
I'm sure that Doug Heim can help you with your cvs, bus axles, and shocks.
Did you get the Pics of the axle stuff?  I emailed them a few days ago.

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 09:37:54 PM »
Yeah I can help with most of that, I'm a fox dealer as well so i can get you air shocks. Not sure of your budget but they are $230 ea and I ship for free. If your a VIP I am still offering 10% off excluding shocks.

I have the CVs and axles but I like to keep them for kits as there sometimes hard to come by. Seems like when it rains it pours. When I find them I either find a $hit load or few or far between, sometimes cheap, sometimes expensive. I never know so that's why I like to keep them for kits. I have 928 axles and CVs but they are not type 4 just so you know. Type 4s are found on Porsche 944, 924 and VW Thing that I have personally found so far.

Welcome to DTS FAB! ;D

Rick S.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 09:46:52 PM »
If could probably part with 4 of the cv's that you need. I have quite a few.
We'll just need to find you the 18 3/4" bus axles.

Offline Tydra

• VIP
  • GRASSHOPPER
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 09:55:38 PM »
yeah rick i got the pics, the parts look great, i'll have the cash for them this weekend or early next week.  if you can spare the cvs, that's wicked, then we just need to figure out shipping (scary thought).

thanks doug, i meant 928, 944 or type 4 CVs, the shocks are a ways down the road. that kind of cash takes a while, gonna get most of it done before i make that order.

here's some more pics.

Admin

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 05:17:19 PM »
I can ship whatever your getting from me to Rick S to accompany his stuff, save on that Canadian freight, Ill get back to you tomorrow on them few parts... ;D

Offline Tydra

• VIP
  • GRASSHOPPER
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 03:13:16 PM »
picked up my fuel cell today, it's a little small 3-3.5 gallon but it'll get me started. uncle gave it to me, he pulled it out of one of his samurai rockbuggies. i forgot my camera, next time i'm out i'll get some pics of his trail rig.

Admin

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 04:16:36 PM »
I think youll be amazed how far that 3.5 gallons will go, Id suspect in your buggy, 20+ mpg easily...

Offline Tydra

• VIP
  • GRASSHOPPER
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 05:05:18 PM »
i hope so... got a few more parts today... hit a couple scrapyards... if you live near Toronto, ON and you're looking for vw parts check http://bradsbeetlemania.com, he's getting closed down do to land development but he's got tons of everything, picked up 2 complete bus axles for $25 each. i only needed to axles but got a set of type 2 CVs and 3 usable boots (spares) out of the deal. after dismantling and cleaning, one axle is prestine, the other is pitted pretty badly (lower left). i think it's still usable, what do you think? if not i'll go get another one. also picked up a complete radiator out of a '96 civic for $40, needs a cleaning a maybe a coat of high temp paint and it'll keep things cool.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 05:06:57 PM by Tydra »

artie on edge

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 05:38:33 PM »
Mate all looks bloody marvellous, kiler deal on the bits you picke dup but idont like that axle either. If you use the engine with 150hp you will find that WHEN it lets go it could do some serious damage to the rear end. At those prices Id go back and get  couple more (can never have too many bits laying around!).

Of course it might never let go if you do not use that 150 horses, say just putter round slowly and enjoy the scenery.... like hell, you got you use it! Love your build, keep it up... :)

Admin

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 06:00:20 PM »
My buggy gets about 5 miles to the gallon... ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal