Author Topic: CVT a bike engine  (Read 13300 times)

Admin

Re: CVT a bike engine
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2009, 08:12:02 PM »
Nitrous is cheap!!

not for a 2 smoke... ;D

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2009, 08:14:40 PM »
  You can't run off the primary clutch basket because it spins the wrong direction, to make it work, you would need to add a second shaft with a set of gears to run the cvt off off that spins the correct ratio, and since you already like the ratio of the primary gear, your basically gonna run a 1:1 ratio off it to the cvt. 

You are only a slightly higher ratio in 6th. gear than trying to run off the primary, so why not just stick it in 6th, gear, disconnect the shifter off the motor, and run the cvt off the motors output shaft, you have to have a second set of gears to get the primary to spin in the correct direction, just use 6th. gear and it's the same thing, only 5 or 6 more foot pounds of torque and you don't have to rig up some complicated mess.....

Admin

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2009, 08:17:02 PM »
  You can't run off the primary clutch basket because it spins the wrong direction, to make it work, you would need to add a second shaft with a set of gears to run the cvt off off that spins the correct ratio, and since you already like the ratio of the primary gear, your basically gonna run a 1:1 ratio off it to the cvt. 

You are only a slightly higher ratio in 6th. gear than trying to run off the primary, so why not just stick it in 6th, gear, disconnect the shifter off the motor, and run the cvt off the motors output shaft, you have to have a second set of gears to get the primary to spin in the correct direction, just use 6th. gear and it's the same thing, only 5 or 6 more foot pounds of torque and you don't have to rig up some complicated mess.....

the only downfall I see is the lack off rpms... but ideally the sprocket would be the easiest way to do it, the cvt clutch could sit on its own bearings, and shaft over to the motor, eliminating the hammering action of the cvt on the engine...

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2009, 08:26:52 PM »
But do you have room for that???
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Admin

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2009, 08:29:08 PM »
But do you have room for that???

Yes i could do that..I can move my trans back a pretty good bit to acomidate the extra length...I just dont see good clutch tuning at 6000 rpm.. that would be near redline of the engine as well...

Admin

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2009, 08:32:45 PM »
I think my solution is to drop a 800 in it and call it good, has about 35% more hp and torque, probbaly enuff to overcome my gearing issue a good bit...

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2009, 08:45:11 PM »
I can't argue with the 800 engine for curing some issues.

If you move the tranny will that screw with the CV alignment of the Drak setup?

Still thinking the drive clutch BEHIND the tranny you got on a shaft with a chain driving it would be the ticket! But still a tad funny looking. Is there room for that?

I have missed a Artic cat 660 turbo four stroke that had hit a tree but was running perfect and no motor damage for 700.00 bucks. I figured in a light machine that would be good but I have seen some videos of them in some two seat minis and it was decenlty impressive.

Just gotta shop around and be first. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Admin

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2009, 08:47:37 PM »
I can't argue with the 800 engine for curing some issues.

If you move the tranny will that screw with the CV alignment of the Drak setup?

Still thinking the drive clutch BEHIND the tranny you got on a shaft with a chain driving it would be the ticket! But still a tad funny looking. Is there room for that?

I have missed a Artic cat 660 turbo four stroke that had hit a tree but was running perfect and no motor damage for 700.00 bucks. I figured in a light machine that would be good but I have seen some videos of them in some two seat minis and it was decenlty impressive.

Just gotta shop around and be first.

I can rotate the trans backwards, and keep the cvs in the same place, it kinda lays forward as is....

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2009, 09:05:38 PM »
http://www.rhinoforums.net/showthread.php?t=17392

You can see some links here or look up rhino wheelies on youtube but the links at the above will show you a rhino "type" vehicle with a 660 turbo cat engine.

You can find more about it at Glamis.com or the main glamis dunes site as well.

I do not know if the motors built or stock. I was led to believe its stock.

The terrain does favor the wheelie some. But still.

Just to show a little about this particular four stroke sled engine.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 09:07:27 PM by Nutz4sand »

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2009, 09:05:49 PM »
You would actually need to put the motor in the lowest gear.  The problem with using 6th. gear, (or the primary gear) is your geared high, to get the rpms down to a more useful level, your gonna have to have a huge cvt setup that will drop the ratio down considerably just to take off, using the lowest gear, you start from there and going up in gearing isn't such a jump.

Ok, I sat and calculated this out for about 30 min., so i'm fairly confident all my numbers are correct.  What I basically did was to figure out the gear ratio from the primary to first, then through a 5:1 gear box (20.871:1), I did the same thing in 6th (8.321:1). I then figured the ratio from the primary and 1st. as a starting point, and divided that number by 20.871:1 to see what I needed for a low cvt gear.  I then figured the ratio from the primary and 1st. as a starting point, and divided that number by 8.321:1 to see what I needed for a high cvt gear. 

I then multiplied the primary and 6th. gear, then divided that number by 20.871:1 to see what I needed for a low cvt ratio. I then multiplied the primary and the 6th. gear, then divided that number by 8.321:1 to see what I need for a final high cvt ratio.

20.87:1  final drive in 1st. going through stock tranny and a 5:1 gearbox
8.32:1     final drive in 6th.  going through stock tranny and a 5:1 gearbox

using 6th. gear off the motor, you'll need a cvt that can get you
12.54:1 for a low gear to achieve the 20.87:1 final ratio going through the stock tranny and 5:1 gearbox
5:1 ratio for high gear to achieve the 8.32:1 final ratio going through the stock tranny and 5:1 gearbox

using 1st. gear, you'll need a cvt that can start you off with a
5:1 for a low gear to achieve the 20.87:1 final ratio going through the stock tranny and 5:1 gearbox
2:1 ratio for high. gear to achieve the 8.32:1 final ratio going through the stock tranny and 5:1 gearbox

It's far easier to achieve the 5:1 and 2:1 ratio from 1st. than to try and hit the 12.5:1 and 8.32:1 ratio of using 6th.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 09:09:03 PM by Yoshi »

Admin

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2009, 09:21:21 PM »
You would actually need to put the motor in the lowest gear.  The problem with using 6th. gear, (or the primary gear) is your geared high, to get the rpms down to a more useful level, your gonna have to have a huge cvt setup that will drop the ratio down considerably just to take off, using the lowest gear, you start from there and going up in gearing isn't such a jump.

Ok, I sat and calculated this out for about 30 min., so i'm fairly confident all my numbers are correct.  What I basically did was to figure out the gear ratio from the primary to first, then through a 5:1 gear box (20.871:1), I did the same thing in 6th (8.321:1). I then figured the ratio from the primary and 1st. as a starting point, and divided that number by 20.871:1 to see what I needed for a low cvt gear.  I then figured the ratio from the primary and 1st. as a starting point, and divided that number by 8.321:1 to see what I needed for a high cvt gear. 

I then multiplied the primary and 6th. gear, then divided that number by 20.871:1 to see what I needed for a low cvt ratio. I then multiplied the primary and the 6th. gear, then divided that number by 8.321:1 to see what I need for a final high cvt ratio.

20.87:1  final drive in 1st. going through stock tranny and a 5:1 gearbox
8.32:1     final drive in 6th.  going through stock tranny and a 5:1 gearbox

using 6th. gear off the motor, you'll need a cvt that can get you
12.54:1 for a low gear to achieve the 20.87:1 final ratio going through the stock tranny and 5:1 gearbox
5:1 ratio for high gear to achieve the 8.32:1 final ratio going through the stock tranny and 5:1 gearbox

using 1st. gear, you'll need a cvt that can start you off with a
5:1 for a low gear to achieve the 20.87:1 final ratio going through the stock tranny and 5:1 gearbox
2:1 ratio for high. gear to achieve the 8.32:1 final ratio going through the stock tranny and 5:1 gearbox

It's far easier to achieve the 5:1 and 2:1 ratio from 1st. than to try and hit the 12.5:1 and 8.32:1 ratio of using 6th.

yoshi, right now my car runs 8600 rpms, the cvt is right on the crank, 0 reduction, i think the cvt is about 4:1 at take off, it shifts to about 1:1 idealy...the problem with the bike motor in 1st gear, is the clutch will only spin like 2500 rpms... it needs to spin around 7500 minimum i think... my inital gear ratio would be about 18:1 makes up for the crank torque numbers, rather than the multiplied torque number that a shifter car has. it probbaly near instanly shifts to around 2:1, so the ratio then changes to what about 9:1 if i hold the ratio in the cvt longer the rpms wont stay flat, they will rise quickly them lower as it shifts, the cvt system really is a pain in the ass to get right, i still dont have it right, lol...Ideally what i need right now with the current setup is to have the engine maintain 85-8600 rpms, and have a final fnr reduction of about 6:1-7:1, Odypilots is 10:1 in his pilot, same engine...I feel its a bit to low...so my inital gear ratio should be about 28:1 shifting rather quickly to 14:1 then ultimitley to 7:1...

Admin

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2009, 09:26:18 PM »
I think your numbers are right on actually, the problem is getting the clutch to work effectivley in the small rpm range that it is spinning...

Admin

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2009, 09:30:17 PM »
http://www.rhinoforums.net/showthread.php?t=17392

You can see some links here or look up rhino wheelies on youtube but the links at the above will show you a rhino "type" vehicle with a 660 turbo cat engine.

You can find more about it at Glamis.com or the main glamis dunes site as well.

I do not know if the motors built or stock. I was led to believe its stock.

The terrain does favor the wheelie some. But still.

Just to show a little about this particular four stroke sled engine.

they have put the 660's in the formula crosses as well, Livewire has a few engines now, they are turbo as well, id rather keep NA myself, and they have a hefty price tag as well...

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2009, 09:30:32 PM »

Admin

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2009, 09:33:56 PM »
hmmm,..sounds like you need something like this and stick a rev limiter on the  motor for 8500 rpm..http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562068.htm

;D Suzuki makes a car motor that is the same litres as a busa, we wondered if the heads and jug would fit the block...Looks very similar...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal