Author Topic: quaife reverser  (Read 2466 times)

Offline ace

• "project storage expert"
  • Grunt worker
quaife reverser
« on: July 02, 2009, 01:33:43 PM »
Hello guys,
I purchased this reverser in late 2000, before anybody really had the "all in one" boxes I.E reverse, diff, outdrives. I Had the gears made by a company called lin gear, but after reading all the posts relating to chain overheating, I am reconsidering using this set up, its a simple chain in from the engine, and chain out to the centershaft, this is going into a piranha, any thoughts?
thanks Joe

LiveWire

Re: quaife reverser
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 01:52:08 PM »
If it can handle the torque, a large sprocket on the input should reduce chain issues quite a bit. I'm not sure how the final chain will fair since it will then have more torque on it.

XRH348

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 03:08:14 PM »
from the Quaife website,
http://www.quaife.co.uk/Quaife-reversing-box

the sprockets can be substituted for flanges and the unit run "in-line"

669 pounds sterling , or $1100.
found some more info... says it should handle 350hp
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 08:00:46 PM by XRH348 »

LiveWire

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
To run inline, you could turn the engine sideways and run into a car diff.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 04:07:30 PM »
I believe that has been done quite a bit  but I haven't seen any real info as to the results in an offroad car . Apparently work fine on asphalt cars tho.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline ace

• "project storage expert"
  • Grunt worker
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 04:50:16 PM »
thanks for the input guys running inline is not an option as the piranha is quite small, as for the larger gear on the box, im just worried about the ratio, I think the motor sprocket is 13 and the box has 2, 15's and the final drive is a 60, so I think I'm geared quite low, maybe too low?
don't know, I can always put the original motor gear back on I think its a 17, I'm just worried about the chain overheating. I don't think there's much room to raise the box up over the centershaft to gain additional length.
joe

standfast

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 11:59:24 PM »
I would figure out how to run it inline to a car diff.  Maybe use a Vtwin motor that you could cut the width down on the
motor then maybe couple that unit to the motor directly.  The key is finding a IRS diff with a narrow output and short.
Maybe look into the differential on the rear of a mitsubishi eclipse/talon/EVO or something like that.

The way you are talking about setting it up will have issues for sure between the motor and the reverser with the chain.

LiveWire

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 02:53:10 PM »
For some reason, it seems many of the IRS diffs are long. My brother has fixtures for narrowing Ford 9" and 8" rear ends. I was looking at having him narrow an 8" as narrow as possible. Instead of putting standard flanges back on, I would have him put flanges to fit 930 CVs.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 04:59:35 PM »
couldnt you go as narrow as the center plus flange width?
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal