Author Topic: busa motor  (Read 1825 times)

Offline cleppla

• Fabricator
busa motor
« on: May 24, 2009, 07:24:08 PM »
I am going to look at a Hayabusa 1300 this weekend coming up.  I think its just block, coils install, water pump.  Am I correct. I would still need: fuel injectors(intake), exhaust, rectifier, fuel pump.wiring harness and ECU?

The guy wants a pretty cheap price on it and might be a steal.

Chris
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 07:30:00 PM by cleppla »

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: busa motor
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 10:57:15 PM »
A motor you cannot see run from someone you do not KNOW you can trust is usually worth its weight in scrap metal.

Paying more than that is a gamble.

Hunting down all those extra parts can be a real time comsumer sometimes and the extra cost of the individauly parts might be more added than buying a wrecked but running bike.

Plus not to many people sell GOOD Hayabusa's cheap.

Short of tearing it apart and inspecting and checking parts with a micrometer you might be buying a really cool boat anchor.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline cleppla

• Fabricator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:23:29 PM »
Here is what the guy said about it.  He wants $950 for it. I figured I could at least tear it down and recoup most my money in parts if its real bad.

"1300 Suzuki Hayabusa motor that was purchased to put into a Radical Motorsport Racecar. Not sure on the year is either. The team was sold and here lays a motor. The last time it was in a motorcycle it ran. It has been sitting in my garage for a few years but not in the weather. I am not sure what parts are supposed to be there but it is pretty much in tact and looks like it is ready to be put in something"

Chris

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 02:01:49 AM »
Sounds like it may well be a good score :-\
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 08:19:21 AM »
Run the other way.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 09:14:29 AM »
run fast! thats too much $$$ for that not knowing.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 09:16:46 AM »
Even if it's good ,by the time you but the other stuff needed you'd be saving very little and risking a lot.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline cleppla

• Fabricator
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 12:51:07 AM »
What are thoughts on buying a Kart kit? (ebay)     I dont have the cash to lay out for a wrecked motorcycle.

Chris

artie on edge

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 04:00:27 AM »
What are thoughts on buying a Kart kit? (ebay)     I dont have the cash to lay out for a wrecked motorcycle.

Chris

Hi Chris, IMO I wouldn't buy it this way (the engine that is) BUT, it is a small outlay up front and then a series of outlays as you acquire bits. It may cost more in th long run but it will be easier to do in short squirts (if that makes sense), another BUT is that you will need to be intimately acquainted with the workings of the Busa electrical, fuel and electronics systems to make it work.....

That's all aside from the fact that the engine may well be a POS, you dint know...that's the point really... you dint know and are taking it on faith...

The other point is that if you are short on cash, a busa isn't the best beast to be playing with. Parts can be horrendously expensive and unless you know them inside out, paying for expertise can also cost an arm and a torso (costs more than a leg).

I dint have that much 'faith' in strangers...sorry but 47 years tends to breed a certainlevel of pessimism into ya... ;D

Camel

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 05:03:24 AM »
Motorcycle engines don't like to sit for too long either.  Especially years.

Another thing you need to check on a 'cheap' motor is the ownership.  Busa's hide their serial numbers on the rear of the crankcases.  If ever you buy an engine get the serial number first, even if it is over the phone.  You can check it visually later.  If it's a stolen motor and the seller is unaware,  an 'encumbered' vehicle check through your motor registry department should be able to tell you if it's stolen and/or has money owing on it.

If they are aware they'll backpedal or mysteriously have sold the engine between going to check and getting back to you.

Ask me how I know to check for these things!

Fortunately I got out of it without losing the engine, my money or copping a 'receiving stolen goods' record.

Camel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal