Author Topic: cv boot  (Read 4027 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
cv boot
« on: September 21, 2008, 11:00:37 PM »
so some how, over 15 feet away, a stray piece of hot metal from welding landed on one of my cv boots ans put a tiny hole in it. enough to puke grease when the suspension is cycled. i cleaned it all with a little carb cleaner and rag, then used some hi temp permatex black rtv silicone to seal the hole..  will this work or am i gonna have to replace the darned boot?
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: cv boot
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 06:52:28 AM »
I've done that in a pinch.  Make sure you leave a "plug" on the inside and outside of the boot to keep it anchored in the boot.  If the hole is in the fold of the boot it ain't a gonna stay though. If it's in a flat portion you've got a chance it will stay.  Keep an eye on it though either way.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 02:52:36 PM »
I am just asking here but depending on the size of the piece of metal that entered the boot and its composition (it could be tough or become true grit once crushed in the CV's workings) it might get in the CV an ruin or at least damage it to some degree? Taking it apart and getting the piece out and a new boot might be cheap insurance vs it crapping out at the beginning of what should have been a good weekend. Might not have to replace all the grease if you find the offending metal piece without it getting into the works. Just my thoughts.   
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Admin

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 04:59:38 PM »
Them s-10 boots are about 15.00, not to dificult to change, you could put some fresh grease in them at the same time...

borris

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 06:56:42 PM »
I gotta agree with bug and nutz but in a pinch as said it could get you by.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 10:00:52 PM »
Sounds like good motivation to go through the cvs to clean and regrease them. It sucks to have boot problems in the desert. Spend the $15 or so dollars and replace it. Just a tip, I soak my cvs in gas for about 30 mins prior to cleaning.It takes off 90% of the old grease and makes the cleaning a whole lot easier.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 02:25:32 AM »
well this is the first time i have ever dealt with cv's so im kinda scared to take the boots off and mess with them. lol.  not sure what kind of grease or anything about cv's. much help is needed.  also i had no idea the boots were so cheap. thanks..

Admin

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 04:56:28 AM »
well this is the first time i have ever dealt with cv's so im kinda scared to take the boots off and mess with them. lol.  not sure what kind of grease or anything about cv's. much help is needed.  also i had no idea the boots were so cheap. thanks..

Advanced auto parts, they come with grease and a clamps, you will need a 15.00 tool as well tho.. ;D

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 10:28:11 AM »
what special tool? to put the clamps back on? i may have one around the shop somewhere, there is everything there but metric nuts.. lol

borris

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 04:06:35 PM »
They're just mysterious-not magical! :) Don't worry about it .If they fall apart we'll walk you through putting it back together. 8)

Admin

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 04:14:08 PM »
The trickiest part is getting the cvs off the axle itself... ;D

borris

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 08:33:47 PM »
I know you've done it so tell him the tricks.

lee1969GB

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 12:38:27 PM »
Any pics of the tool and bands, I could do with one, cable ties have limited success.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 10:28:19 PM »
my buddys 91 olds cutlass has a band break and a boot come off when he was driving.. we just put a hose clamp on it and 3 years later. still on there..  cheap fix i suppose?

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 03:52:50 PM »
this is an update..  to fix the holes i had in these boots..   

i cleaned the rubber boots with carb cleaner, and then rubbing alcohol. then i spread high temp black rtv silicone gasket stuff all over the hole and built it up thicker right over the hole..

now after driving the piss out of my buggy, its still holding strong and not pulling away at the edges at all..  this was cheaper fix then replacing the boots. 

also, the holes were cuased by welding spatter, they werent tears, or cracks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal