Author Topic: Machine working a CV ???  (Read 7174 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: Machine working a CV ???
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2009, 09:14:57 PM »
To heck with the extra pound,  Mine are gonna be bolt on.  If there is a problem, three bolts and replace it.

Good luck with a 3' trailing arm in the lathe.  ;D

I'd bet it would fit in the mill....
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2009, 09:18:44 PM »
Actually I think the original reason for the machined sleave was cuz the part the bearings were suposed to be pressed into was a giant cast piece, not the flanged type that bolts on with three bolts either.  I don't have any objection to welding a flange on the sleeve and then bolting the whole thing on.

Admin

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2009, 09:23:37 PM »
Actually I think the original reason for the machined sleave was cuz the part the bearings were suposed to be pressed into was a giant cast piece, not the flanged type that bolts on with three bolts either.  I don't have any objection to welding a flange on the sleeve and then bolting the whole thing on.

good idear... ;D

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2009, 10:04:10 PM »
I thought you were trying to save weight!?  those inner joints are heavy!  I think I got a handle on what you are trying to do.  What I learned from my first buggy was that the 1" keyed shaft will not hold up, and neither will the hubs if you are thinking of the same ones I am.  I also don't like the three bolt stamped flanges that hold the bearings.  I tried them on a 1" axle the first go around and after less than an hour, we had bearings rotating in the flanges and sheared keys.  It weighed 320lbs dry and had a 350cc engine  for reference.  I really think you should take a looke at the VW shafts and maybe even the hub assembly we have been filling your thread up with.  I know the shafts will be lighter and I think they cost the same as the ones in your link.  I will try to find the specific make/model they are off of.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2009, 10:16:27 PM »
I don't think I saw in this thread anywhere but how much wheel travel are you going for and what is the 400cc motor? (cvt or shift? Two or four stroke?

If your looking for light weight scoping craigs list for an independant quad may be the key to real light weight. 

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2009, 10:16:33 PM »
88-92 VW Golf/Jetta GTI axles.  driver's side and are 16.25" long from CV center to CV center.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=A1C&MfrPartNumber=667005&PartType=945&PTSet=A
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 10:28:58 PM by Boostinjdm »

Bug

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2009, 10:37:35 PM »
Thanks for the great info, just googled that model CV and came up with some great stuff. preciate all the help and patience.  8)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 11:06:56 PM by Buginator »

plkracer

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2009, 02:44:44 AM »
I used Jetta vr6 parts. The outer cv is beefier and so is the hub. I think the bearing is still the same. The inner joint was like a modified type 2, wider with smaller balls. Not type 4 though, but the splines are the same. I can get 20* of travel without clicking. They started to click around 22, so I backed off.

LiveWire

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2009, 08:34:11 AM »
Bugs car uses 3+6 (beadlocks add 1") wheels plus the hubs are not original, they have an integrated 1" negative offset to them so the leverage would be equivalent to 2+7 wheels. Shove the bearing into the wheel more and they will last longer. If using the off the shelf hub, i would probably just replace it with the bearing. I have about a dozen of those steel tubes already machined and another 6' of DOM tube for them if anyone is interested. I can get the half shafts too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal