Author Topic: Say What? Bad day at the dunes  (Read 21820 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Say What? Bad day at the dunes
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 06:28:32 PM »
ditto.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 07:49:54 PM »
Box in the mount, 2 flat plates make a poor structure.

+1               and we don't want ya to give up your spot either! lol
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline WelderPat

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 08:05:42 PM »
 I am not sure but the third pic looks like you are swinging three different arcs.
It looks like the two lower are parallel to each other and the one closest to the camera is contrary to them.
 Is that what I am seeing?
There is always free cheese in a mouse trap.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 09:18:04 PM »
I am not sure but the third pic looks like you are swinging three different arcs.
It looks like the two lower are parallel to each other and the one closest to the camera is contrary to them.
 Is that what I am seeing?
Welder
I think what your seeing is the whole carrier is rotated 45 degrees, so the lower two arms look one on top of the other.
Two of the three Travis rods two lower swing the same ark. While the upper shorter rod swings a little smaller ark.  Rear tires pretty much travel straight up and down. No caster or camber over 20 inch's.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 09:32:04 PM »
fast did design and build it right , I have seen it in person and the placement of the the rods isn't the problem.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline WelderPat

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 05:12:07 AM »
Welder
I think what your seeing is the whole carrier is rotated 45 degrees, so the lower two arms look one on top of the other.
Two of the three Travis rods two lower swing the same ark. While the upper shorter rod swings a little smaller ark.  Rear tires pretty much travel straight up and down. No caster or camber over 20 inch's.

Now it looks totally different.
I apologize for the PUTI.
How did the other side do ?

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 07:19:31 AM »

Now it looks totally different.
I apologize for the PUTI.
How did the other side do ?

The other side is beginning to crack.  You can run your finger inside the bracket and feel a crack or where the metal is starting to separate. Both sides will be completely rebuilt.   Mite be a good thing because the car has had seven years on the axle bearings and carriers.  Mite be time to replace them.  That's not bad for a pair of 1982 chevy 4x4 s-10 front carriers from Auto Zone.  Still tight no play in them at all. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:21:23 AM by fastcorvairs »

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline WelderPat

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 08:15:55 AM »
Seven years ain't bad.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 12:10:14 PM »
Well got the shock all torn down and low and behold I think I can save the shaft.   I buggered it up some getting the end off thinking it was toast but my ten inch buffer took care of the scratches. the aluminum end was all jacked up but the threads and the shaft are still nice and straight.  Got a little carried away on the buffing wheel with a tad to much pressure.  Started smelling something burning, stepped outside thinking it was a grass fire leaving the buffer running. When I come  back into the shop the center of the buffing wheel was glowing red and starting to throw off sparks.   drowning grab the water hose.  Wew only lost the pads on the buffer.  Need to let up on the pressure some.  ;D

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 06:36:53 PM »
Got the carrier all tore down and the axle bearing out. Not bad by the way I mite even reuse the bearings.  Absolutely no play and they do not spin.  You have to turn them and there is no sound or roughness in them what so ever.  Also decided to try and see If I could straighten the trailing link brackets some before I cut them off the carrier.  Low and behold they came out really good.  Going to fish plate and add some new gusting and call it good.  I'll tig weld up the torn places and then put some fish plate over them.  In the pictures you can see that the inside wall actually tore the weld off the carrier. There was no penetration for the first half inch or so.  Need to get the drivers side off and get them to the blasting shop to remove the powder.   Being the powder coaters throwed my granny apple green powder out because it was out dated i'll have to go with the hammer tone silver and black like my front and rear suspension.
    Got to looking at my springs and the top tender was bottoming out some.  That could have been some of my troubles.  Just the passenger side.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 06:42:00 PM »
More pictures after heat and hammer found a torn boot to. 

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 06:47:44 PM »
Box in the mount, 2 flat plates make a poor structure.

It is simi boxed just did not go far enough with the top plat on the bracket. It'll get some new bracing when I am done this time.  alot of this damage could have been done for a long time.  Just got to the point that it couldn't hold on any longer. 

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
It is simi boxed just did not go far enough with the top plat on the bracket. It'll get some new bracing when I am done this time.  alot of this damage could have been done for a long time.  Just got to the point that it couldn't hold on any longer.

It's a U shape at best. From the material ripping above the weld on the outer plate it's pretty obvious it needs more support back there. The front endges buckling in did not help this either, had they stayed strait it's doubtful you would have had an issue. When you box in the rear section, make it wider than the mount to help spread the load out. Then plate in the front side to keep the plates from buckling agian.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2014, 12:35:58 AM »
Fill it in here.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2014, 07:35:25 AM »
Fill it in here.

I plan to fill that area to be part of the complete fish plate on the sides.  I'll fill the top back in all the way to the up right.  Also going to put tabs on the top of the trailing arm bracket and tabs on the side of the up right and build a rod end arrangement that will tie the two together.  That way any pulling force will transfer back to the heavier plated up right also.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal