Author Topic: Say What? Bad day at the dunes  (Read 21825 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Say What? Bad day at the dunes
« on: May 09, 2014, 08:41:46 AM »
Well finally got a day off to run down and play for a day and wouldn't you know it! Just was not my day.  Loaded the buggy up on the day trailer Wednesday night just before the storms hit.  Backed it under the carport and unhooked so I could put the truck up out of storms.  Come out Thursday morning at four thirty backed up and hooked it all back up and away I went, every thing looking good.  Little Wendy but the cloud's were clearing as I drove south the the sand. Got down to LS fired up the buggy to warm up while I was removing the tie down straps.  Well this is where it all started going south.  Buggy died.  Well OK no biggy just restart and continue with what I was doing. Nope. no restart. Start the long process of why.  check out all the grounds and start checking to see what the hell was going on. Well no fire to the fuel pump, or injectors.  Jumped some wires and varooooooooom it fired.  Will I hate it when that happens because you really don't know what was wrong.   So out on the sand we go,  Making lots of tracks and running good smooth sand because of all the wind, so over to Thunder Alley we head.  Make a few passes at thunder alley and all of a sudden it's like i'm hitting the rev limiter at 5500 or so.   Thing of it is I don't have a rev limiter.  So pull over to check it out and the car just up's and die's.  Same or crap no fire to the fuel pump or injectors.  Pull my Motec off and put on Jerry's car and his car fires up and runs good.  Well not to bore you all much longer we found that the hi dollar shrink fit terminal that I put on the ground for the Motec so this shit don't happen was bad.   We all headed back to camp for lunch and to put a new terminal on my ground wire.  No need for the terminal when I got back.  Let the pictures speak volumes for themselves.  This is what I seen while getting ready to put the new terminal on. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Say What? Bad day at the dunes
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 10:00:40 AM »
WTF happened to the suspension????????????????
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 10:36:07 AM »
WTF happened to the suspension????????????????

Well you tell me and we'll both know.  I'm thinking that the shock has to much leverage on the assembly as a hole.  I think the new limit strap saved the day to.  The forward trailing link bracket was not properly welded.  Lot's of thing could be playing out here.  All of which I am the only one to blame.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 10:52:33 AM »
What was boost set on??  ;D

Damn!!  Took me a min to see.  You had me thrown off with the whole elc story.  Sometimes little problems we fuss at are saving us from disaster.  Luckily no one was harmed, not even an ice cream maker.  See you in 2 weeks. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 10:54:50 AM by Carlriddle »
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 10:54:12 AM »
The pic appears to show a bent shock shaft or lower eye. What's with that? Did you bottom it out hard at some point? The link mount can be easily made stronger without any added weight also.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 10:58:58 AM »
this.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 11:05:29 AM »
this.
And 3rd pic down.

Stupid copy paste pic not worky.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 11:19:41 AM »
yup,might be cam angle tho.........................
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 12:28:28 PM »
What was boost set on??  ;D

Damn!!  Took me a min to see.  You had me thrown off with the whole elc story.  Sometimes little problems we fuss at are saving us from disaster.  Luckily no one was harmed, not even an ice cream maker.  See you in 2 weeks.

Wrong!!!!!!!!!! did that on the way home from Glamis last January.  That's a whole new story.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 12:33:38 PM »
The pic appears to show a bent shock shaft or lower eye. What's with that? Did you bottom it out hard at some point? The link mount can be easily made stronger without any added weight also.

I think it has been a recurring thing.  To many bottoming s out.  Plus the shock wanting to push the whole carrier assembly, or rotate it clock wise.  I had to mount my lower shock mount hi like it is because it would have interfered with the trailing arms if not.  To get it at a lower spot I would have had to increase the with to a point that I would have had to remover the wheels to get it in a trailer. 

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 12:38:10 PM »
Ok so I have been looking for a new shock shaft.   Anyone know or have a link?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 01:05:45 PM »
Stouter mount will cure that.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 01:19:08 PM »
if those are fox shocks you can buy just a shaft with a eyelet on it. fast your right on the shock leverage idea pushing back on that carrier. I can't tell from the pic but looks like those forward link tabs are only welded on the side not top and bottom? if so then the plate prob started tearing where the weld ended?  I only say this cause I had a similar instance a number of years ago with my v6 rail and I was using aluminum radius rods that did bend under the load of the shock pressure while dropping in off a dune lol there are pics and a video on here somewhere of it. I mounted my shock to the back side off center of the axle and it was creating a twisting motion on the carrier until the aluminum rods folded. I went to steel and moved the shock forward so it was pushing straight down on the carrier , as best as possible, and pretty much in the center to slightly forward. I mounted in the rear for clearance reasons and that didn't work lol  that does suck and has survived a lot all this time. are those carriers made out of chromolly? if that is mild steel like mine then make those forward radius rod plates out of hot 50 next time and go 1/4" thick. just my opinion of course. this is what I learned from my heavy v6 rail and have moved it on over to my mini's as well I figure why not if it's a little over kill lol lol  that does suck but better the way it happened then at glamis right before a landing!
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 01:58:04 PM »
if those are fox shocks you can buy just a shaft with a eyelet on it. fast your right on the shock leverage idea pushing back on that carrier. I can't tell from the pic but looks like those forward link tabs are only welded on the side not top and bottom? if so then the plate prob started tearing where the weld ended?  I only say this cause I had a similar instance a number of years ago with my v6 rail and I was using aluminum radius rods that did bend under the load of the shock pressure while dropping in off a dune lol there are pics and a video on here somewhere of it. I mounted my shock to the back side off center of the axle and it was creating a twisting motion on the carrier until the aluminum rods folded. I went to steel and moved the shock forward so it was pushing straight down on the carrier , as best as possible, and pretty much in the center to slightly forward. I mounted in the rear for clearance reasons and that didn't work lol  that does suck and has survived a lot all this time. are those carriers made out of chromolly? if that is mild steel like mine then make those forward radius rod plates out of hot 50 next time and go 1/4" thick. just my opinion of course. this is what I learned from my heavy v6 rail and have moved it on over to my mini's as well I figure why not if it's a little over kill lol lol  that does suck but better the way it happened then at glamis right before a landing!

Amen bro. that would have really sucked.  Really don't have room for .250X2 so I'll cut the old one's off and build new one's from .1875 4130 and weld in some support some where.  Will do my best to get er done for the end of the month.  Don't want to give up my spot at LS I got rented.   thumb down

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 02:46:02 PM »
Box in the mount, 2 flat plates make a poor structure.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal