Author Topic: L/S Fall trip 2012  (Read 19371 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: L/S Fall trip 2012
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2012, 03:16:29 PM »
on my rail the outer's which are stock f150 outers ran hotter to the point you coldn't hold your hand on them for more than a second or two. the iners which are the non plunge 930's ran hot but you could hold you hand on them but still got very warm.  now carls cv's were opposite when I checked his with the temp gun, his 930 was hotter.  I know good grease will help and I didn't take the time to clean out the stock grease they came with the f150's that is on the 930's i used good cv grease.  I can see the link susp flexing but not enough to create what i'm talking about. i have never seen a uj drive have the kind of play back and forth the cv have. when you jack it off the ground jerk the wheel back and forth look at the play in the cv's and splines on the axle. it is a lot more than a uj or atleast any uj i have ever built. now I started with 3/4" available plunge and wound up adjusting the rods out to only 3/8" available plunge and that stopped the banging. the axle has clips on both ends and it is possible the axle was hitting the f150 cv wheel side but noooo way it was hitting the cup on the 930 sprocket side with 1" spacers on the cv cups.  before I adjusted the rods out you had to throw the axle all of the 3/4" to make it bang off the ground. also noticed that even sitting still the axles won't plunge until you roll the wheel back a hair or jack them off the ground and the axle would release and plunge freely so freely they slide back down on there own. that little bit of tension was enough to keep the splines from sliding on both mine and carls and mean locked to the point both hands you can't make it plunge!!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:18:37 PM by Dsrace »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2012, 03:22:23 PM »
fabbr do you have clips on both sides of the cv's?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2012, 05:34:15 PM »
Even after no seat time and working on rail for first two days we had a blast. Rail did good but I e got a list of things to change or fix. I couldn't believe no one had a 930 over cv boot?  Wtf.  I didn't run cv boot flanges on inner cv and bolts pinched boot til it tore. I will fix that.  My cv's were hot. Not burn hot but warm. But I didn't hear the noise on mine. Could have been open exhaust. Lol. I only ran clips on inner cv's. drove straight thru to home, 18hr short nap dinner for Candice's birthday and now for bed!!!!  Wish more could have made trip cause u can't have too many supervisors while you work. Lol

Thanks for help everyone and all in all a good trip!!
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2012, 06:09:05 PM »
that 12r is one hell of a motor!! that will be one running sob in the spring and was this week as well. nice wheelie too!!

also yours had the same tq lock on the splines on the axles as well sitting still with a slight amount of pressure. also I know the higher the angle the more heat they build and at full droop I am at 36 degrees so that could be another piece of the puzzle on the heat as well.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:15:09 PM by Dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2012, 06:13:56 PM »
carl did one hell of a job getting that rail zipped up and running btw!! i was impressed.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2012, 10:58:53 PM »
fabbr do you have clips on both sides of the cv's?
2 clips,one on each end ,outside of star. Splines are free to slip. Gives about 3/8" plunge if needed to allow for small deflection.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2012, 11:08:55 PM »
Even after no seat time and working on rail for first two days we had a blast. Rail did good but I e got a list of things to change or fix. I couldn't believe no one had a 930 over cv boot?  Wtf.  I didn't run cv boot flanges on inner cv and bolts pinched boot til it tore. I will fix that.  My cv's were hot. Not burn hot but warm. But I didn't hear the noise on mine. Could have been open exhaust. Lol. I only ran clips on inner cv's. drove straight thru to home, 18hr short nap dinner for Candice's birthday and now for bed!!!!  Wish more could have made trip cause u can't have too many supervisors while you work. Lol

Thanks for help everyone and all in all a good trip!!
Glad you guys had a good time. Just too many things effed up my plans this time. Be there in the spring tho!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2012, 07:54:11 AM »
the sand was really soft like baby powder and damn smooth in many spots. the night got damn cold too!! great riding though

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2012, 08:16:11 AM »
I'm beginning to dislike soft sand. It's like driving through a big bowl of grits.  rofl Starting to like hardpack much better.  8)
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2012, 12:44:30 PM »
Cv's did lock, roll just a tad and axle would plunge. I had set at about 3/8" plunge.  I was happy with rails performance and it needs tuning BAD!  Time to fix and update and get to work on trailer mods!  And everyone should get a home theater with a 100" screen to wath vids on!  Lol thanks Enemy.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2012, 01:40:49 PM »
ya enemy's drive in theater screen was incredible!!!!!!

soft sand robs a lot of power and i got buried quick in one spot so bad I really didn't know if enemy myself and my wife were going to be able to get the rears out but we got it!!!! lol lol     carl got his stuck once too but got it free before we got to him but he had plenty of light to see what he was doing lol

lush

« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2012, 06:46:20 PM »
dsrace's  car looks pretty tough and carls is a hell of a jump over the little green monster  I hear carl that zx really rips.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2012, 06:48:53 PM »
dsrace's  car looks pretty tough and carls is a hell of a jump over the little green monster  I hear carl that zx really rips.

stop by and check it out

lush

« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2012, 06:54:23 PM »
I have been wanting to the last couple weeks just haven't made it the far.    you know its a long drive : )

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2012, 06:58:44 PM »
Lush, you could drop by and see mine if that's closer. 

Long drive!!!  LMAO LMAO

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal