Author Topic: motor mounting  (Read 4053 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
motor mounting
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:06:37 PM »
so i have come to the point where im mounting my gsxr..  what is the best way/ most common way to get your motor straight? even if your frame may be off.. or even if your offsetting it to the side a bit..  i need help with this.
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: motor mounting
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 10:34:43 PM »
Kinda subscribing to see what others say but I have seen an old sprocket with a piece of straight metal bolted (I have heard of it being welded to the sprocket too but would be scared that would warp it) to a sprocket then the sprocket gets bolted to the motors output shaft. This then sticks back to line up along the rear sprocket.

Since nothing is more important than the chain being in alignment (except maybe angle which you already dealt with) . This piece of straight metal is a guide to the rear sprocket. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 05:56:23 AM »
Part of theproblem of course is not only lining it up but actually holding the thing in position while doing brackets and such. Not an easy task for sure. 
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 07:53:02 AM »
well i already made front mounts, and we used a flat part of the motor on the back with a square and tape measure to go off the frame (parts that were actually straight and equal) but it still seems crooked.. so im gonna start over, and was looking what others were doing.  i used that method nuts, when im putting the rear drive in, but i need to atleast get the engine straight first.  So i need to know what your guys do..lol 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 07:59:42 AM »
Find the true centerline of the car and go from there then.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 08:02:13 AM »
I used a similar method to Nutz.  I also from a center point towards the front of buggy measured to an equal point on ea side of motor.  I'm sure its not perfect, but nothing is.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 08:45:33 AM »
I was going to suggest some of Doug's adjustable engine mounts that I swore I saw at some point.  They were threaded to push against the engine before locking the mount bolt down.  Could probably adjust the angle a smidge to.

Alas I can't find them.  His forum is a mess.  kick

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 09:31:27 AM »
Part of theproblem of course is not only lining it up but actually holding the thing in position while doing brackets and such. Not an easy task for sure.

I am sure some of yah have likely seen this before but if not I thought it was pretty clever. dunno if it will help Voodoo at this point but if not it may on the next one!
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 10:10:57 AM »
Im out of money.. so dougs parts are out of my budget. althought i do have everything i need to make buggy drivable again... i think ill attach the metal to the countershaft sprocket and then use a square or something to align it with the frame rails... even if they are crooked then ill just align my rear sprocekt to the countershaft srpocket and it will be good.. as long as my wheels are straight..

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 10:12:55 AM »
Sprockets aligned is far more important than the frame rails aligning with the motor.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 10:46:02 AM »
well yea, but i cant make my rear drive untill i ahve the motor mounted.. so i need to get it relativly straight first, without having a rear carrier in place......

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 11:06:16 AM »
Gotcha there. I was not totally sure how far you had glued the new bits together yet. 

Hopings it exceeds the old way tenfold! 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 11:12:43 AM »
WHY do you want to mountr the engine first? Better to get the drive in first so that you can maybe get the engine installed where you can avoid an idler sprocket.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 12:21:49 PM »
7 months of hard riding and i never had an isue with the idler sprocket. i dont have the capacity to make a nice adjustable rear end...   

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 12:33:45 PM »
7 months of hard riding and i never had an isue with the idler sprocket. i dont have the capacity to make a nice adjustable rear end...

Just looking at your new spool pics back on the build thread. You could MAYBE (if space permits) simply slot the bolt holes the spool bearings go in and use bolts at the front threaded into nuts welded to the frame in front of the bearings to hold it solid (So the bolt heads pressed against the bearings)

Remember if the whole rear moves a little you take up slack on the top and bottom so it does not need to move as much as a single idler. You would not neeed real long slots.

Just thinking outloud so to speak.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal