Author Topic: Frame Table  (Read 3424 times)

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
Frame Table
« on: December 23, 2009, 02:33:57 PM »
I'm close to getting started on my cuda, but I still need a frame table. I intended to build it out of wood to keep cost down and just dismantle it when I no longer needed it, but then I thought why not just build a table out of Metal and keep it for a welding table when I am done. I need it to be small to keep cost down and for ease of storing. I'm thinking 3'Wx4'Lx24"T on castors with a 1/4" plate for the work surface and an expanded metal lower shelf for storage. Just called to get a price quote for the plate and I'm looking @ about $130 for the material including a $10 cut fee. So I'm guessing around $200 to build the table vs. probably $60 to build it out of wood. Any thoughts or suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 02:38:06 PM by komelika »
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Frame Table
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 02:40:04 PM »
have you decided what car you'll build? i'd suggest making it large enough to allow the entire lower cage to be on it. Orrrrr.............
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SPEC

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 02:48:44 PM »
We have a thread for the ultimate build table ;D

http://dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=208.0

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 03:09:51 PM »
Awesome table spec! Very impressive, but light years out of my league and budget.

This is along the lines of what I am thinking. Not exactly, but close enough.

http://zeroreality.com/welding/equipment/1/table.jpg
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 03:35:12 PM »
Just make it aslarge a your base frame.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 03:39:07 PM »
I hear ya. Looking through the build logs on the barracuda I have seen some small tables. I think 3'x4' will be plenty big, but I will go through the plans and get some measurements.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 05:22:33 PM »
http://dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=1607.msg35736#msg35736

Might ask that guy. Rumor is hes made a Cuda or two on that table.... lol
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 05:32:26 PM »
24" seems kinda low.

To make it take a part,make a frame for the top,weld short lenghts of tube to the four corners,make legs(more tube but smaller) slide into the four corner tubes,nuts on bottom of tube,bolt in nut to allow adjustment.

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 05:46:45 PM »
Actually on a Barracuda as long as you have a way to build the base frame flat (the square tube part) you'll be ok.  After that you just build up from that frame.  The only time you reference the bottom surface is to locate things like shock mounts, etc. for that part you can just clamp a straight edge to the bottom to give you a reference where you need it.  A bigger table is nice to pile all the parts on while your building it though :)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 05:51:34 PM »
Another idea another buggier (Names Magnum) showed me that I would copy if I already did not have a large table is pictured below. I still may change my top to be like this.

Its 2 inch square tubes with gaps so he can put "C" clamps thru it. You need to make sure this part is made flat of course.

The table top sits on one of those ATV jacks so he can raise or lower it. Then when done he can pop the table top off and lay it against the wall. A GOOD ATV jack could later be used to hold the Cuda off the ground for storage or work too.

The last pic is a good budget table. But floor level working can be tough. But it could be raised easy.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:00:22 PM by Nutz4sand »
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 09:47:08 PM »
24" is a good height to build on.  It's only low when working on flat stuff.  So once your base frame is done, it will be just the right height for everything else.  Nobody wants to carry around a fookin step stool to reach the top of stuff.  My saw horses I work on are 24" and I love 'em.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 09:49:13 PM »
I'd agree. My rotisserie is usually at approx 22-24" but I amshort of 6' by about 6".
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 11:06:07 PM »
My table is 4' X 7'. I built it when the 1/2" steel plate on top cost me $200. That is cheap in todays steel prices. The cart in the link above is only 2.5' X 4' and I use it to finish off the Cuda chassis while making room on the main table for another chassis. I trustthat my cart alone would be big enough to build a cuda on. Use Lances advice on the flat bar clamped to the bottom.

No worries!

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 09:01:29 AM »
24" is a good height to build on.  It's only low when working on flat stuff.  So once your base frame is done, it will be just the right height for everything else.  Nobody wants to carry around a fookin step stool to reach the top of stuff.  My saw horses I work on are 24" and I love 'em.

Yes but he wants to use it as a welding table when done,is your general work bench 24" high?

If you make the legs like i mentioned,you can have two sets of legs(which is just tubing)and switch back and forth.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 09:03:56 AM »
24" is great to weld while seated. Personally I'd prefer it.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal