Author Topic: shaft driven  (Read 4424 times)

Offline Wyattboche

shaft driven
« on: December 01, 2010, 10:54:50 PM »
I know Honda makes a shaft drive v twin. Just can't remember which one of hand. Has anyone ever built a mini-buggy with shaft drive versus chain drive? How come you don't see more shaft driven motorcycle buggys?

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: shaft driven
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 11:09:22 PM »
The gear ratio would be wrong and difficult to change.

The wheel is driven out one side of the shaft drive housing so how do you get the power to wheels on both sides?

No really powerful powerplant choices.  However I bet a V-65 Magna would do pretty well.

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 11:18:48 PM »
The gear ratio would be wrong and difficult to change.

The wheel is driven out one side of the shaft drive housing so how do you get the power to wheels on both sides?

No really powerful powerplant choices.  However I bet a V-65 Magna would do pretty well.
I was thinking of a 9" ford rearend center section. Probably would be to heavy though. the nine inch you can adjust the gear ratio without pulling the hole rearend apart.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 12:18:42 AM »
Check out Bdkw1s build at the other site.  Goldwing motor with an aluminum quickchange rear.  I like the goldwing because it has a u-joint output instead of an enclosed oilbath setup that would be difficult to adapt to.

9" would be way overkill for any motorcycle motor IMO.

Some of the imports have a ring and pinion diff setup that feeds halfshafts instead of a solid rear.  But I doubt that any are extremely narrow.  Could probably find it in any front wheel drive vehicle that also offers a four wheel drive option.  Ford escape comes to mind,Subies, etc.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 05:51:35 AM »
Goldwing wont scream, but it a torquey little thing .  Didn't many of the Goldwings have reverse too, for old people.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 06:05:11 AM »
I was thinking of a 9" ford rearend center section. Probably would be to heavy though. the nine inch you can adjust the gear ratio without pulling the hole rearend apart.
  Since when? You gotta pull the axles,same as any rear end. Did you  mean you can just change out the pumpkin? Still got a lot to do to change it out.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 10:41:26 AM »
^^ I thought you just pulled the ring gear assembly out and changed ratios. You probably right fabr, I have never delt with one. I have only seen gear ratio's done on a latemodel car before. Must be different setup.

LiveWire

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 12:01:49 PM »
An 8" is similar in style to a 9". A 32 Coupe project my brother started has an 8" in it. He can narrow either. I looked at one when he was doing it. I don't see a problem narrowing one to the extreme and modifying the wheel flanges to bolt a 930 joint to. I think the advantage of one of those is more gear ratios available along with making the change to 930 joints at the same time. He has a 7.3 gear in his pulling tractor's 9". 8" rear ends and I think the 9" as well have a longer axle on one side than the other. If narrowed to the max, the pinion would not be centered. Possibly, that could be used as an advantage tying in a shaft drive bike engine.

Offline vidio1

• Fabricator
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 01:49:03 PM »
I think the biggest advantage to the 9" diff is that you can preset the ring & pinion of your "pumpkins" on the workbench and change them out in the pits with just basic hand tools and a tube of RTV.......

chrishallett83

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 05:57:41 PM »
Nissan make a series of nice strong IRS diffs - the model number tells you how big the crown wheel is in mm.

So, R180 = 180 mm crown wheel (approx. 7 inch diff)

R200 = 200 mm crown wheel (approx. 8 inch diff)

These buggers come in ratios down to 4.900:1, have four spider gears and many are factory LSD. There is a long nose and a short nose version, you'll want a 'mongrel' built up unit of the short nose with the 4.9 gears and the LSD centre. It's a viscous LSD, but it's pretty good if you get a new unit (these are the diffs they put in the Skyline GTRs...)

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 06:59:51 PM »
Goldwing wont scream, but it a torquey little thing .  Didn't many of the Goldwings have reverse too, for old people.

Yup, runs off the starter motor. It has a speed limiter on it than I plan on by-passing.......... Eventually.

As for screaming.......... Turbo on 7PSI makes 205HP.

djkwwq

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 06:38:01 PM »
The stability of the shaft drive, etc. then I would consider replacement. Currently still waiting to see.
I'm outa here cuz I'm a SHIT BAG SPAMMER

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 07:13:44 PM by Spec »

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 05:02:29 PM »
Why couldn't you put a drive shaft from the splined shaft on the motor connecting it with a cv, to a rear end like a 7.5" ford? Then you could change the gear ratios to suit. Would it be to much stress on the motor? Id use a 7.5" cause they are cheap and easy to find and should be able to handle motorcycle hp and torque.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 12:33:06 AM »
Back to the original question on the Honda V-twin...........

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/27733-New-Trophy-Rhino

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 05:58:03 AM »
Wyatt is cheap and easy  rofl

Its good to see you at least admit it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal