Author Topic: frame guessting  (Read 8822 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: frame guessting
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 08:02:49 AM »
I see you met Fabr!  He used to be head smack talker over there but he got banned.  rofl

Welcome to the site.
Get it right! ;D I was banned,unbanned and MADE MODERATOR, and then banned AGAIN!  LMAO LMAO rofl rofl rofl
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Glock n Ballz

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 08:22:35 AM »
Look, it breaks down like this:
Im a first time builder, in my garage with barely enough money to piece together a buggy and barely stay married in the process. Those notch drop pieces are free and they fit into the intersection of 2 tubes where they meet pretty well. 90 degree works well, even shallower and steeper angles will accept these little scrap pieces. I disagree with anyone who says these to not add strength. Firstly, none of you can scientificly prove otherwise, so right, there---end of discussion already. But I'll bite. One of you (please be mstrfabr) try and prove otherwise. Who said the welding made it weaker?? You sir might be mentally challenged . My tube is 1.516 dia. Some quick pi gives me 4.76265044 inches of weld all the way around the circum of tube. (I can explain for the special people who don't know 6th grade math) lets say an average "scrap gusset" that I use only utilizes a 1/4 of it's circumference. Lets just call it an inch for aguements sake. 2 gussets on either side of a 90 degree intersection, that would be 1 inch of additional weld bead on one side of the gusset and another on the other side, for 2 inches of additional bead for 1 gusset. So add 2 more incehs from the gusset on the other side and thats 4 additional inches of weld bead holding those tubes together. (Yes is sort looks like ass, or at the very least not what everyone is used to) so when you take the 4.75 inches of weld on the intersection itself and add another 4 inches that 8.73 inches of weld.

Uneeded? Unproveable. And you Wyatt...Dont be my buddy on one forum and then talk smack behind my back on another...follower.  kick
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 10:25:26 AM by Glock n Ballz »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 10:04:24 AM »
I'm going to reply like this. Restate your post without the insults if you want to discuss it.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Glock n Ballz

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 10:41:48 AM »
Im going to reply like this:

Turn about is fair play. Why is it cool for you guys to voice your opinions but I cant voice mine?
Isn't that why you were banned from MBN Mastr? Too much, too rude, uncalled for comments, etc?? So dont get all high and mighty on me about being insulting.-homie dont play that. Besides, you were all havin a ball insulting my work until I caught wind of what was going on.

You'll never be invitied to a BBQ at MY house. thumb down

Now, go ahead and try to explain why my gussets suck.

Oh, yeah..Wyatt, you dont even have a buggy, WTF are you doing here?  Sarcasm

Im in the  wrong forum!!

Glock n Ballz

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 10:44:01 AM »
In fact, to the first moderator to read this...please cancel my acoount.

Respectfully,
Mike Hudgeons
Fort Worth, Texas.

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 10:51:35 AM »

Turn about is fair play. Why is it cool for you guys to voice your opinions but I cant voice mine?
Isn't that why you were banned from MBN Mastr? Too much, too rude, uncalled for comments, etc?? So dont get all high and mighty on me about being insulting.-homie dont play that. Besides, you were all havin a ball insulting my work until I caught wind of what was going on.

Im in the  wrong forum!!
Probably cause I just sold the one I had

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 10:59:27 AM »
And you Wyatt...Dont be my buddy on one forum and then talk smack behind my back on another...follower.  kick
I'm not your buddy on the other forum. wrong forum I do not spend much time on the other forum. If you have a problem with me xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 05:46:28 PM by masterfabr »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 11:05:37 AM »

Im in the  wrong forum!!
You are more than welcome to voice your opinions and discuss the merits till time ends for all I care  however you will not continue to act like this on DTS. No where has anyone said you can't voice your opinion. You HAVE been told to stop the insults. Last warning.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 12:29:58 PM »
 rofl rofl I dont think that I read anywhere they sucked.  He said any added strengh was negated by all the welding in a small area, making the tubing more brittle along the edge of weld.  Now if you did it for bling then fook anyones opinion your is all that matters. 

Glock, really wish you'd stopped by B-4 I think some of these guys could have helped you out.  MBN is a good place too, but so many just go with the flow and dont cause no stink.  I came to the forums to find the safe, correct, best answers to my build.  I can find out how cool my stuff is from the neighbors kid.  He is 10.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 01:43:20 PM »
Glockedballs, Thank you for editing your post.It's just as insulting tho.......... eyes
rofl rofl I dont think that I read anywhere they sucked.  He said any added strengh was negated by all the welding in a small area, making the tubing more brittle along the edge of weld.  Now if you did it for bling then fook anyones opinion your is all that matters. 

Glock, really wish you'd stopped by B-4 I think some of these guys could have helped you out.  MBN is a good place too, but so many just go with the flow and dont cause no stink.  I came to the forums to find the safe, correct, best answers to my build.  I can find out how cool my stuff is from the neighbors kid.  He is 10.
That is the concensus among most fabricators. It wasn't a slam on anybodies idea but it is not the accepted way.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 01:56:36 PM by masterfabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 01:44:31 PM »
As to it not being provable that there is/isn't a benefit from all those gussets,I'm betting the guys with FEA can.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 03:46:55 PM »
 gg: ff: gg:
This post has been edited due to content.

SPEC

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 03:49:41 PM »
Wow boost you got edited for content rofl

Offline Grimm Reaper Racing

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2010, 04:53:28 PM »
All of the FEA in the world won't prove anything.  It's applied force in one direction.  It doesn't take into consideration what has happened to the material in a molecular sense.  All of that heat input in that small of an area only to shorten the distance most forces would act on it by a couple of inches, is not only a waste of welding rod/ wire, but unnecessary weight, and is likely just making the area more brittle do to the HAZ.

I will say this though.  If you want to do it Glock...Fook everybody else and do it however the heck you want to do it.  Don't let these guys or me stop you.

Oh and your comment...
Who said the welding made it weaker?? You sir might be mentally challenged .
  No one said it would be weaker.  It was said that it would likely be more brittle.  I'm going to agree on that one.  All that heat and weld input into a small area.  I'm thinking there is more than just a little grain growth there.  That's not my opinion, that's a fact.  As for Masterfabr being mentally challenged... Well lets just say that might not be too far from the truth.  His challenge is mentally he has NO FILTER!  rofl rofl  But at least he sticks to his guns and tells it like it is.  I for one appreciate his candor.

But all joking aside, I nor anyone else needs to prove anything to you, because you've already gone ahead and welded those things in.  Time will tell if it helps or hinders your buggy chassis strength.  Good luck with your buggy build, welcome to the site, and we hope you'll stick around.  There is a lot of experience in this group of individuals, and most of the time they are very helpful, the other times they're just foolin around.  Don't take any criticism too seriously.  It's your build, do it how you want.
See you all duneside.😎🤙

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 05:41:31 PM »
Couldn't agree more. Except for the FEA stuff. ;D ;D ;D I agree that it will not be taking into account unknown changes in the metalurgy but it will allow a person to apply loads in differing directions and amounts that will show if the gusset would improve the joints function/integrity,whatever, assuming equal properties of the metal used. There is evidence tho that suggests  gusseting like that will actually increase the likelihood of the tube failing where the gussrt ends and the tube begins to bear the full load due to concentrating loads in the tube itself instead of the joint.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal