Author Topic: Rhino/jeep hybrid  (Read 2980 times)

SPEC

Rhino/jeep hybrid
« on: October 09, 2008, 03:51:43 AM »
This is more of an input thread at this point.
I have been tossing around the idea of building a cushy utility vehicle, soft suspension, 4 wheel drive and it has to have reverse....and a cage,
I've never been a Rhino fan until lately 8)
I read a thread on a guy who built a mini log skidder out of shortened jeep front ends he cut the long tube off and welded the short side on so it used standard axles, he had some industrial motor on it...
So I'm thinking...I got 2 jeeps (crappy brown jeep is almost toast) on how to build a long travel UTE out of spare jeep parts, and the CBR 1000 thats collecting dust in the shop

RC51 Rhino

Re: Rhino/jeep hybrid
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 06:42:09 PM »
Look into my thread...The rhino thing didn't do me alot of good until I built what I have now. I've done the Jeep thing three times, enjoyed it alot, lots of rock crawling, trail riding and my latest, a TJ was a ball in Rocky Point. Might do a Jeep again, but the side by side thing seems to be where it's at right now.

SPEC

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 05:27:36 AM »
RC,
I was drooling over your build thinking That thing would be great as a cushy woods hauler, The Specinator likes to putz and enjoy the scenery so I was thinking that since she tends to bury stuff...too cautious... then panics and stands on it... 4 wheel drive would be necessary at least till she gets over the fear of tossing some mud/sand around...It's gotta be cushy so I can spend some time in it...(garbage spine, and arms)I'll see if I can use some of that guys pix..

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 09:37:02 PM »
Might also look into mounting a small 4 cyl. car engine and tranny side ways and use the drive axles for driveshafts out to something like Suzi Sami axles... air shocks and a simple 'three-link' (trianulated four link?) on both ends would give a supple ride and still provide the travel you would want for the rompin' that may ensue...

SPEC

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 02:38:55 AM »
I'll be whacking up the silver jeep this week end...motor is stuck but the rest is good what do you guys suppose I should keep off of it?
I was thinking keep the transfer case and diffs,,,tossing the motor and trans...Obviously recycling all the aluminum...No title other wise I'd pull the motor out of crappy brown jeep...

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 09:14:21 AM »
I think the transfer case mid mounted with a small 4 cyl. front drive engine turned sideways (tons of gear reduction) and a nice long four link would be cool! You could use the rockcrawler air shocks or a set of King or Fox airs.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal