Author Topic: Split From, Re: 09 SR2 assembly log... Aka Jeffco, Ya right..  (Read 29267 times)

trojan

Re: Split From, Re: 09 SR2 assembly log... Aka Jeffco, Ya right..
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2009, 01:44:36 AM »
Alchohol to rinse any lubricant away and heat and water(two of the main components needed for oxidation)to rust the chain.

+1

As stated earlier, chains have a "minimum" length. If you insist on running a chain that is  "too short" then an oil bath is the only "real" solution ;)

the reason a radiator works with just air flow is that the radiator is constructed to take most advantage (surface area) of what is available. blowing air directly on the chain does not present enough surface area to make real use of the principle ;)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2009, 06:26:30 AM »
+1
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SPEC

« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2009, 09:53:01 AM »
Wow Fabr, Trojan, and I all agreed...
OH FOOK....
RUN FOR THE HILLS AND PRAY.....
THE  WORLD IS GONNA END TODAY
 b:1 :c :m :n :s :r

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2009, 09:59:54 AM »
Naw,the water is going to start circulating in the correct way downunder now.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2009, 10:06:32 AM »
+1

As stated earlier, chains have a "minimum" length. If you insist on running a chain that is  "too short" then an oil bath is the only "real" solution ;)

the reason a radiator works with just air flow is that the radiator is constructed to take most advantage (surface area) of what is available. blowing air directly on the chain does not present enough surface area to make real use of the principle ;)

I gotta get on board here.  I agree.  Are the planets all lined up today or something?

Out of curiosity, what was the point of the alcohol?  Straight water would be best IMO.  It's like sweat.  The evaporation would cause quite a bit of cooling.  I won't go into where THAT idea came from originally. ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2009, 10:10:51 AM »
He made alcohol possible also. ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SPEC

« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2009, 10:58:20 AM »
I think ANY water soluble lubricant would be bennefical... Altho messy. i saw a local guy who was working with different vegatable oils to Lube his saw mill...altho apples to oranges...several different types prolonged the cutting edge and they all kept the saw cooler longer

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2009, 10:59:50 AM »
Good luck with the band-aids guys.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2009, 11:19:28 AM »
He made alcohol possible also. ;D

;D

Your starting to see my logic!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2009, 11:39:20 AM »
+1

yoshi , I was wrong his chain does get hot at lower speeds as well but cooks at highs speeds. let me re-phrase that at high speeds ( after he stops ) touching his chain is almost ( but not quite ) like touching a wood burning stove while there is a fire burning inside it.

trojan I agree, I think a sealed box with oil would be the best way at the current length or on any chain. the chain definitely needs to be longer in this case. I think such a sealed chain case would make this box even better but with a double row chain ( not two seperate chains ), I think this would be a stronger way to go not to meantion greatly minimize chain maintenance.

In my opinion fans or ducts won't or fix this issue at all, possibly minimize it. we are not looking to minimize the problem rather solve it. on the other rails I have built from steel to aluminum sprockets they have all been roughly 100 links ( there is one that had an 86 link I think ) not much shorter than the bikes and have had no issues with chains getting hot ( that I have seen or been informed of from customers rails to my personal rails ) so now we have a short chain that's not out of alignment and cooks fast at medium to high rpms.

I do understand and appreciate telling a customer that your product will only handle 200hp  when infact you know it will handle 400 hp ( #'s are for example only ) but to tell someone 1k hp then 800 then 600 then 200hp max that doesn't fly. even if enemy would have talked to 3 different people they need to get there story staight. it's not that hard to say ok look we designed this to do x and we are going to advertise it capable of only x, tell the sales crew and run with it!

just another thought, on ememy's jeffco box the sprocket is allowed to move back and forth a little according to jeffco this is the way they designed it ( or atleast this is what one person said per one phone call to jeffco) but what if while in motion this actually creates more friction via the chain rubbing on the side of the sprocket more and not to meantion the sprocket itself slipping on the splined shaft?

ok I have a few pics of a king sand car, I want to know how this set up doesn't cook chains? I think it has to or his customer don't get on it for more than a short burst. look how close the counter shaft sprocket is to the drive sprocket!
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2009, 11:44:13 AM »
I don't know why that posted the same pic twice. bug if you could kill one of those pics thanks. here are a couple more pics of that unit.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

trojan

« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2009, 12:13:09 PM »
F' me! a couple more mm closer and he can do away with the chain altogether :o

trojan

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2009, 12:20:32 PM »
Out of curiosity, what was the point of the alcohol? 

lowers the boiling point of the coolant.

SPEC

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2009, 12:49:53 PM »
Depending on the strain of alcohol...It boils between 157 and 243 degrees* F
Wood alcohol is at 157...But it's about the evaperatory release of energy, where it gets it's cooling capacity from

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2009, 04:36:25 PM »
well whats the deal there!!!!????!!!  thats crazy short..      also the alcohol was brought up because it cools alot as it evaporates!!!
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal