Author Topic: car derived sxs  (Read 52590 times)

Offline Baloo

Re: car derived sxs
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2020, 07:06:30 AM »
oh and yes fox air shocks are available here  in fact i  have 3   used to be 4 but one got lost in the move  5:

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2020, 12:59:47 PM »
slowride, any thoughts??
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Baloo

« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2020, 01:04:36 PM »
well i suppose the first question is should it be rear engined ?
 and this is the uk  no sand dunes here unfortunately   

Offline Baloo

« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2020, 01:23:48 PM »
i wouldn't oppose a front engined buggy but i dont want a high bonnet line so that would push me down the route of a flat four engine like a subaru mated up to a rear wheel drive gearbox  which might make packaging the front and rear A arms easier ???
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 01:36:00 PM by Baloo »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2020, 01:42:01 PM »
oh i would put it all in the rear. now mid or rear engine is up to you. so in the picture that cradle the engine was bolted too, that would require trailing arms ( ta's).   muliti link or rear a arm need to pivot down the center of the cv. on engine choice i would go with the trans that has bolt on cv's, plunging bolt on cv's. you'll want atleast 3" plus of plunge for ta's.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #140 on: August 05, 2020, 01:46:24 PM »
so the link i posted on the last page, it has some basic info on ta design. now the photbucket pic that is blocked, that had a good diagram. i assume he opted out of photobuckets huge mess and new yearly fees and thats why it blocked. not a lot of info out there on ta's, that i have found. i have never built them and do not plan on it. i pre fer a 5 or 6 link, a-arm or even a 4 link rear end over a ta. thats my personal opinion now.  4 links are not a favorite but imo still better then a ta lol

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #141 on: August 05, 2020, 01:49:07 PM »
i remember the videos of you running through the field/dirt track. so definately want to build a front steer front end. you want oversteer for those runs. rear steer is under steer and sucks offroad imo.  sooooo, the audi/vw engines you have access too.......is there cv flange bolt circle the same as the plungin porshe 930 cv joints or even type 4 vw cv joints?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness

Offline Baloo

« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2020, 02:00:43 PM »
the vw ones are bolt on  and i think they are plunging  will dig them out and have a looksy

Offline Baloo

« Reply #144 on: August 05, 2020, 02:01:45 PM »
which pic of engine in cradle are you referring to ?

i would prefer A arms

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2020, 03:15:18 PM »
this is the pic i was referring to. it may be an engine stand more than a cradle. so if you mount this in a cradle then you'll want to get the trans positioned for equal length axles....as close as you can.  the pivot points ( center of heims or center of bushings) of a arms needs to pivot on the same plane the center of the cv does. same at the wheels and even though plunging cvs change a tiny bit you still want to aim for the center of the cv housing.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2020, 03:33:48 PM »
this is the pic i was referring to. it may be an engine stand more than a cradle. so if you mount this in a cradle then you'll want to get the trans positioned for equal length axles....as close as you can.  the pivot points ( center of heims or center of bushings) of a arms needs to pivot on the same plane the center of the cv does. same at the wheels and even though plunging cvs change a tiny bit you still want to aim for the center of the cv housing.

ah yes that frame  its just so i can run the engine up   but you make a good point about drive shaft length, the golf has unequal shafts one is about a foot longer than the other   that will be a problem wont it  unless i can use 2 long shafts and offset the engine/box ?    will investigate that

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2020, 04:55:52 PM »
two long shafts should work. if its a 2 seater then you'll have room to center the output flanges of the trans. now if your going stock u joints and axles then 12" of travel is prob a better idea. you won't know until you find out max deflection for the stock cv and length of axle to be used. with an a arm rear end or multi link .....you can design it for neg camber and true stroke.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 05:00:24 PM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2020, 05:02:52 PM »
this is not a great video for sure  ;D i was having an issue with rcv's plunging cv's and made the video to illistrate this. if you look, pause the video in spots, you'll see that the bolts that connect my heims to the frame and wheel bearing carrier are centered with the pivot of point of the cv. this is the only way to get the bending moment the same for the least amount of stress on the cv and least amount of axle plunge required.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2020, 11:57:28 PM »
thank you     looks a whole lot easier with a transaxle than a  transverse engine and box
i will do some measuring and see how wide it comes out with 2 long shafts, might be to wide
i could switch to something with a transaxle like an audi but that starts to make the buggy long
still it gives me something to think about lol

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal