Author Topic: And accident waiting to happen  (Read 8820 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
And accident waiting to happen
« on: October 28, 2013, 05:21:21 AM »
Well I got the toy hauler jacked up and on stands to put the new shoes on, and low and behold what did I find.  First thing was both hubs on the front axle were not sounding good when I spun them.  Pulled them off and both had one bearing that was toast.  Come to find out that when I had that axle replaced back in 2009 because of a bent spindle the alignment people must have thought that the spindle nuts were head nuts and had them tightened down way to much. While I was working on the new bearings I found a ton of slop in the suspension. So glad that I decided to go with a set of Dexter's E-Z Flex spring hangers.  These things are the cats meow. Here are a few pictures That I took over the last week. I don't think this trailer would have made one more trip to Yuma or Idaho.

Here is the old and new of it. All the axle gear on this trailer is just six years old.  Better check you trailers guys if you have a sprung trailer. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
Re: And accident waiting to happen
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 05:57:09 AM »
Looks like your gettin some of my luck Rollin around with stuff like that.  Wonder if spindle wasn't freezing up some and wearing that tire?  I'd say you caught just in time. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 05:58:10 AM »
Looks like 99% of all trailer equalizers/spring systems. The setup that almost all trailers use is just about as big a POS as there has ever been. Most trailers get pulled one trip and then parked tho. Unlike what we do.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 06:44:03 AM »
Looks like your gettin some of my luck Rollin around with stuff like that.  Wonder if spindle wasn't freezing up some and wearing that tire?  I'd say you caught just in time.

Actually the side that the tire with the flat spots came off of the driver side of the trailer.  The bearing on that spindle was the better of the two.   It was the curb side spindle that had the bad bearing.  I did not take a picture of the rollers in that bearing they were all chewed up like the back of the race and the D washer was.  If I were to call this problem I would say that the worn and elongated rockers were letting the axle jump and shake like a bad shock on a car. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 07:18:19 AM »
do you balance the trailer tire/wheel?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 10:03:24 AM »
scary isn't it!!!!! i don't see any shocks on the axles in those pics? does make a diff....imo and i know those dexters are waaaaay beefier!!!!!!!!!!! 

6 years old and worn through the nylon bushings and slotting the holes in the rest already!! makes you scared to drive next to a camper on the road don't it!!   mine were already shot with 12 trips on them!!   
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 11:26:15 AM by Dsrace »
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 11:53:28 AM »
Service centers scare me too. I took my trailer to Rocky Mountain RV in Albuquerque for some warranty issues after I bought it. I bought it out of State.

While I was there I told them that I had lost a hub cap and if it was going to cost much more than $20-$30 to skip it since I can find them online cheaper. When I went to pick it up I had a bill for $125 to repack my bearings. I ask why they repacked my bearings since it is a new trailer... and because it had easy lube axles. "Well, your hub cap fell off and got dust in the bearings."  nono nono nono

I raised hell and refused to pay the bill. After arguing with me for 10 minutes the service manager finally dropped the bill after I told him to shove every "award" plaque they had on their wall up his ass and informed him that my melt down was about to be heard by every customer on their lot.

At first I wasn't sure if their tech was really stupid enough to believe that a cosmetic hub cap was there to protect the hub bearings even though there is a dust cap to even keep dirt off the grease zerk or if they just thought I was stupid enough to believe it and run up my bill. I wish I would have checked. The next season I pulled the hub caps to grease my axles. I pulled the little dust cap off to find grease everywhere where he had packed it onto the spindle nut and the grease zerk missing completely. He really was that stupid!

From that point forward I decided that I would do all maintenance and repairs on my trailer myself. I'm scared to death when I pass anything on the road that says Rocky Mountain RV on it.
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 12:45:41 PM »
do you balance the trailer tire/wheel?

Always. 

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 12:52:42 PM »
scary isn't it!!!!! i don't see any shocks on the axles in those pics? does make a diff....imo and i know those dexters are waaaaay beefier!!!!!!!!!!! 

6 years old and worn through the nylon bushings and slotting the holes in the rest already!! makes you scared to drive next to a camper on the road don't it!!   mine were already shot with 12 trips on them!!   

Real scary.  Just what I told my wife.   Next time I'm passing a trailer with spring axle's on it I'll be sure to speed it up to get around them.  Seeing what mine looked like with just six years on them.  I am researching the shocks and also bump stops. 

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 03:56:38 PM »
Mod's need to move this to toy haulers trailer forum.  I can't finger it out. 

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 04:21:49 PM »
Mod's need to move this to toy haulers trailer forum.  I can't finger it out.

Thanks Fabr.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 05:30:23 PM »
No problem!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 05:56:29 PM »
Well that's 2 EZ Flex customers from DTS now.. After seeing this, I'm am going to be #3!
Where are your guys buying from? I got to start shopping.
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 06:56:02 PM »
I may have to crawl under my trailer. It's new with only 3 trips but that = 6000 miles. Some of the roads get pretty damn ruff. Last trip nice road with a ramp onto a bridge. Truck and trailer left the ground. Airborn!  Had to change pants next fuel stop.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 07:01:29 PM »
And possibly remove some seat foam?
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal