Author Topic: Trailer tires 101  (Read 9178 times)

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
Re: Trailer tires 101
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2012, 06:54:18 PM »
Thought I would share an email I got concerning LT tires and ST tires. This is a response I got from Goodyear.

Sent by:   Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 1144 East
       Market Street Akron, OH 44316 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Mr. Gabel,

Thank you for contacting our web site. You don't "derate" an LT tire when
using on a trailer application.  You do "derate" a Pmetric tire if you use
it on a trailer or on a truck.  Reason is an LT tire is designed to operate
at max load 100% of it's life.  A Pmetric is designed to operate at max
load only part of its life.  Rule of thumb is to "derate" a Pmetric in this
type of application by 10%.

If you've had good luck with the Marathons on your trailer, I would
continue to use them.

Jennifer - Consumer Relations

To:   goodyear_cr@goodyear.com
cc:
Subject:   Contact Us request from www.goodyear.com

A Goodyear website user has submitted a request through the corporate
contact form.  Please address the concern accordingly.

Name: Gabel, Scott
Email: dunebound69@neb.rr.com
Phone: 4024290388
Address:
7100 Starr Street

Lincoln, NE 68505
Heard many people say you can use a LT tire on a trailer instead of a ST.
They are saying a LT is better on a trailer than a ST tire. I have always
run the STs (Marrathons). I was also under the impression you had to derate
the load capacity of a LT if put on a trailer. Can you clear this up for
me?

If you are not the correct recipient, please notify the Goodyear Global Web
Operations team of the email error and we will update our website contact
list.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 07:17:48 PM »
Wait till that LT causes a serious issue and the story will change when a lawyer tells it. BTDT. I use only ST tires now no matter what. Not taking it in the shorts again.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 07:21:25 PM »
Trailer tires are a scam. I have been running LT tires on mine for years. All the trailers that go to Baja get BFG all terrains and brakes on all axles. Have overloaded the shit out of some of them and no problems to date.

The New toy hauler I bought has Goodyear G614 RST 235/85/16 load range G tires on it. Holly hell, I didn't even know they made G rated tires till I got that thing. They are not cheap either. Hopefully they last a while because I'm not really looking forward to replacing them.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2012, 05:09:56 AM »
I know on my old "little" toyhauler, loaded wasn't 5000 lb.  Had new P tires when I bought it at max 35psi had obvious sidewall flex.  Looked like tire was low.  Lost 2 tires and slight damage to trailer before I got them swapped to ST's.  Always front axle.  To finish trip home in middle of night, I slowed to 65 and aired those P to 45psi so sidewalls didn't look half flat.  N Ala concrete interstates and the turnpike thru/to Tulsa had some dips and uneven slabs that make your butt pucker when you hit them.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 06:23:03 AM »
Trailer tires are a scam. I have been running LT tires on mine for years. All the trailers that go to Baja get BFG all terrains and brakes on all axles. Have overloaded the shit out of some of them and no problems to date.

The New toy hauler I bought has Goodyear G614 RST 235/85/16 load range G tires on it. Holly hell, I didn't even know they made G rated tires till I got that thing. They are not cheap either. Hopefully they last a while because I'm not really looking forward to replacing them.
Scam or not ,you do not want to have a LT tire cause an catastrophic issue on a trailer. In that case YOU put the wrong application tire on the trailer and in doing so took on all liability. I don't care how good that LT tire is,wrong application = you just got fooked in court. That's IF you can even get an attorney to take the case. BTDT.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline deano

• VIP
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 01:54:56 PM »
i hear both sides but my personal experience i am with master, my last set of st. i ran over ten year , lost 3 last trip bought 5 new ones

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2012, 04:09:19 PM »
I'm not saying that LT's aren't up to the task. They easily are. It's just that IF something goes to shit,as I had happen, you'll wish they were ST's if YOU are the one who put them on there. If the manufacturer put something other than ST's on it then HIS business liability  insurance will kick in , probably,unless he's out of business.......................
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2012, 08:11:39 PM »
legalities and loop holes that is the lawyers dreams!  they are good at it and by changing anything from the sticker or tag on the trailer..........yes you now hold the liability!    I know st tires are only rated for 65 mph and I have ran mine up to 80 mph before. this is not a good idea when pulling a trailer but it happens some times.  I can see the lt tires having this advantage over st's but still none of us have any business running those speeds pulling trailers or campers , just too many bad possibilities!  i have always gone under the belief that st tires are pretty much shot after 5 years and letting them sit for too long will put flat spots in them coupled with age and well I blew 2 in 4 hrs in the middle of the night and those had no signs of dry rotting on the side walls or in between the tread. when they blew they did some damage but no fires luckily.  most important thing and the camper and trailer manufactures don't seem to believe in this is install tires rated for your load application or a tad higher!!!!!!!!
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2012, 08:53:23 PM »
3 of my 4 trailers now have 14 ply rated ST's on them.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2012, 08:57:31 PM »
A bit of info.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTrailerTireFacts.dos

Always inflate trailer tires to the maximum inflation indicated on the sidewall.
Trailer Tire Facts
Trailer Tire Applications

Trailer tires are designed for use on trailer axle positions only. They are not built to handle the loads applied to, or the traction required by, drive or steering axles.

Inflation

Always inflate trailer tires to the maximum inflation indicated on the sidewall.
    Check inflation when the tires are cool and have not been exposed to the sun.
    If the tires are hot to the touch from operation, add three psi to the max inflation.
    Underinflation is the number one cause of trailer tire failure.

Load Carrying Capacity

All tires must be identical in size for the tires to properly manage the weight of the trailer.
    The combined capacity of the tires must equal or exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of the axle.
    The combined capacity of all of the tires should exceed the loaded trailer weight by 20 percent.
    If the actual weight is not available, use the trailer GVW. If a tire fails on a tandem axle trailer, you should replace both tires on that side. The remaining tire is likely to have been subjected to excessive loading.
    If the tires are replaced with tires of larger diameter, the tongue height may need to be adjusted to maintain proper weight distribution.

Speed

All "ST" tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.
    As heat builds up, the tire's structure starts to disintegrate and weaken.
    The load carrying capacity gradually decreases as the heat and stresses generated by higher speed increases.

Time

Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
    In approximately three years, roughly one-third of the tire's strength is gone.
    Three to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire.
    It is suggested that trailer tires be replaced after three to four years of service regardless of tread depth or tire appearance.

Mileage

Trailer tires are not designed to wear out.
    The life of a trailer tire is limited by time and duty cycles.
    The mileage expectation of a trailer tire is 5,000 to 12,000 miles.

Why Use An "ST" Tire

"ST" tires feature materials and construction to meet the higher load requirements and demands of trailering.
    The polyester cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable "P" or "LT" tire.
    The steel cords have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements.
    "ST" tire rubber compounds contain more chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking.

Storage

The ideal storage for trailer tires is in a cool, dark garage at maximum inflation.
    Use tire covers to protect the tires from direct sunlight.
    Use thin plywood sections between the tire and the pavement.
    For long term storage, put the trailer on blocks to take the weight off the tires. Then lower the air pressure and cover the tires to protect them from direct sunlight.

Maintenance

Clean the tires using mild soap and water.
    Do not use tire-care products containing alcohol or petroleum distillates.
    Inspect the tires for any cuts, snags, bulges or punctures.
    Check the inflation before towing and again before the return trip.

Keys to Avoiding Trouble

Make sure your rig is equipped with the proper tires.
    Maintain the tires meticulously.
    Replace trailer tires every three to five years, whether they look like they're worn out or not.

Trailer Tire Warranty

The Carlisle trailer tire warranty applies to the original purchaser for three years from the date of purchase or until the tread depth reaches 3/32".
    The OE (original equipment) warranty goes into effect at the time of the trailer purchase

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2012, 05:30:50 AM »
Does anyone actually wear out a set of tire on a trailer.  The old trailer had P tires with a higher laod capacity than the ST I put on it.  Trailer had max GVW of 7000 and P tire rated at 1875lb ea.  Most would think it be good  thumb down.  I think its the bouncing and lack of better suspension found on a car that causes the sidewalls to flex and seperate.   The thing is, you'd think it do same on a car.   
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2012, 05:38:07 AM »
Does anyone actually wear out a set of tire on a trailer.   

Yes, it can happen.  I hit the curves so hard the trailer fishtails around each corner.  The look on the oncoming driver's face is always a good time.  Point is my trailer tires wear out like Jimmie Johnson on a 12 lap run at Martinsville.  Going slow is for girly men. 

Give it a shot, I am confident you will have so much fun you will give up on the whole buggy thing and just start whipping the trailer around mountain roads. 
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

LiveWire

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2012, 09:08:13 AM »
I plan to switch my trailer to LT tires, but they will support far more weight than. Since my trailer tires always need to be replaced due to age, I will be running the same tires on the tow vehicle and the trailer. I can then buy new tires for the tow vehicle early and always have near full tread. The partially worn ones will go to the trailer and be replaced based on age. The trailer plate says it is 10K, but the axles on it now are 5 lug. I haven't looked too hard, but only seen 5 lug axles rated at 3500 each. I don't load it to 7K anyway though. Maybe somebody replaced 6 lug axles with 5 lug at some point. I picked up a pair of 8 lug 6000 lb axles. With those under there and E rated LT tires, the remaining tire after a blow out won't be so heavily overload and need replacing.

The email from Goodyear would put the liability back on them if you thought it was an issue. If concerned, it would probably be best to use Goodyear LT tires though. Discount tire is very liability paranoid. They sanded the powder coat off the back of my wheels where they mount. They claimed it had to be metal on metal or the wheel wouldn't be straight. I asked if they really thought hand grinding them would produce a surface more true than the thickness variance in the powder coat. I did not get an answer. Now they will have to pound the wheels off with a sledge when the dielectric response from the aluminum and steel locks the wheel on the hub.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2012, 11:50:32 AM »
Does anyone actually wear out a set of tire on a trailer.  The old trailer had P tires with a higher laod capacity than the ST I put on it.  Trailer had max GVW of 7000 and P tire rated at 1875lb ea.  Most would think it be good  thumb downI think its the bouncing and lack of better suspension found on a car that causes the sidewalls to flex and seperate.   The thing is, you'd think it do same on a car.

I think a lot of this is that car tires get balanced and have shocks on them where many trailer tires do not have shocks and not too many people actually balance trailer tires.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2012, 03:25:22 PM »
I plan to switch my trailer to LT tires, but they will support far more weight than. Since my trailer tires always need to be replaced due to age, I will be running the same tires on the tow vehicle and the trailer. I can then buy new tires for the tow vehicle early and always have near full tread. The partially worn ones will go to the trailer and be replaced based on age. The trailer plate says it is 10K, but the axles on it now are 5 lug. I haven't looked too hard, but only seen 5 lug axles rated at 3500 each. I don't load it to 7K anyway though. Maybe somebody replaced 6 lug axles with 5 lug at some point. I picked up a pair of 8 lug 6000 lb axles. With those under there and E rated LT tires, the remaining tire after a blow out won't be so heavily overload and need replacing.

The email from Goodyear would put the liability back on them if you thought it was an issue. If concerned, it would probably be best to use Goodyear LT tires though. Discount tire is very liability paranoid. They sanded the powder coat off the back of my wheels where they mount. They claimed it had to be metal on metal or the wheel wouldn't be straight. I asked if they really thought hand grinding them would produce a surface more true than the thickness variance in the powder coat. I did not get an answer. Now they will have to pound the wheels off with a sledge when the dielectric response from the aluminum and steel locks the wheel on the hub.
Trailer Tire Warranty

The Carlisle trailer tire warranty applies to the original purchaser for three years from the date of purchase or until the tread depth reaches 3/32".
    The OE (original equipment) warranty goes into effect at the time of the trailer purchase

If it gets in court I'm betting this will apply. The chances are remote but it happened to me. Just saying. ............
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal