Author Topic: car derived sxs  (Read 52097 times)

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: car derived sxs
« Reply #195 on: August 22, 2020, 06:13:46 AM »
the pic above with what looks like an orange redish lower control arm, what did that come off of? it looks diff than the one rear end you just posted a pic of. those inner cv's on the pair of axles you just posted a pic of are what i call tri pod cv's https://en.oreca-store.com/gkn-tripod-cv-joint-24-splines-gi2600i.html what they look like. i do not know the correct name but they don't allow for higher angles. if your going to keep those then you'll need to see how far they will articulate or if there is a rating on them.  that complete rear end you pictured looks to have a bushinged tie rod which a lot of irs rear end designs have. this is why i used the term bump steer.  i like that irs rear end you have pictured. when you have time, pull a wheel and get a close up pic of the knuckle/ hub.  also i wonder what spline count is on the axle where it goes into the inner cv.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 06:15:41 AM by dsrace »
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #196 on: August 22, 2020, 06:28:11 AM »
maybe you can cut that tri pod cv housing and make some reg cv's cups to weld on to it. then could bolt 930 cv's on? i did something similar on a couple builds.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: August 22, 2020, 06:56:55 AM »
I doubt there is any modern era car out there that doesn't have the entire drive train offset to the passenger side. Gives a bit extra room for the drivers feet. No one notices till they do something like this. Most just assume all is centered. I know I did once upon a time.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Baloo

« Reply #198 on: August 22, 2020, 09:43:43 AM »
the pic above with what looks like an orange redish lower control arm, what did that come off of? it looks diff than the one rear end you just posted a pic of. those inner cv's on the pair of axles you just posted a pic of are what i call tri pod cv's https://en.oreca-store.com/gkn-tripod-cv-joint-24-splines-gi2600i.html what they look like. i do not know the correct name but they don't allow for higher angles. if your going to keep those then you'll need to see how far they will articulate or if there is a rating on them.  that complete rear end you pictured looks to have a bushinged tie rod which a lot of irs rear end designs have. this is why i used the term bump steer.  i like that irs rear end you have pictured. when you have time, pull a wheel and get a close up pic of the knuckle/ hub.  also i wonder what spline count is on the axle where it goes into the inner cv.

hi
   the lower wishbone in the picture painted with red oxide primer is MX5,   mk 1 and mk 2   were like this 

when the mk 3 mx5 came out it switched to the same floor pan as the RX8  so the most of the suspension is interchangeable,   now 5 link instead of A arms

will see what the standard cv's give in terms of wheel travel, can modify if  required ,   having trouble getting the driveshafts out of the hubs at the moment   tight little buggers   5:

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #199 on: August 23, 2020, 04:29:00 AM »
very interesting and you have quite the selection to choose from  ;D i hadn't heard of a mk3 either so very interesting. great pics

Offline Baloo

« Reply #200 on: August 23, 2020, 11:47:56 AM »
right i found a few hours to make some progress

had to take the 9" grinder to the mazda hub to get it to fit in my home made press   but i dont need it anyway, i hope

Offline Baloo

« Reply #201 on: August 23, 2020, 11:49:54 AM »

i seem to have around 15" of travel with out binding the cv's  using the stock drive shafts  so aiming for 12"  sounds ok to me ?

Offline Baloo

« Reply #202 on: August 23, 2020, 11:55:38 AM »
ds   can you share dimensions ?  how tall is your hub in the picture ?

im using the rx8 wheels i think so ive got lots of room in an 18" wheel

Offline Baloo

« Reply #203 on: August 23, 2020, 12:05:41 PM »
i was thinking of making some bearing carriers like this that will bolt into a hub  like yours  ?

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #204 on: August 23, 2020, 07:10:38 PM »
thats great on the axle angle, sounds like 12" should be ok. provided you keep axle plunge to a min. i have never had any faith in the tri pod cv for offroad but try it and see. my wheel bearing carriers fit inside 15" rims so your 18's would be n o issue. i will measure them in a few.

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #205 on: August 23, 2020, 07:34:02 PM »
9 1/8" wide x 9 1/2"tall x 4" deep. 3 15/16" center hole.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #206 on: August 31, 2020, 02:53:14 PM »
hi
 right i got slowed up a bit,  had  to finish stripping the free RX8 that was clogging up the workshop  while it was upside down i made a jig to locate all the subframe fixing points and the shock mounts   you never know when it might come in useful  5:
  so the body shell is now ready to go  i robbed the seats the steering column and all the pedals etc

Offline Baloo

« Reply #207 on: August 31, 2020, 02:57:34 PM »
then i went back to playing with the RX8 diff and drive shafts,   made a frame to hang the diff from to save it rolling round the bench

long drive shaft seems to move up and down 18" before i can feel it binding so 12" should be a safe bet ?

Offline Baloo

« Reply #208 on: August 31, 2020, 02:59:33 PM »
ds   what distance do you have  vertically between the rose joints at the wheel end   and then again at the chassis end ?

and how long are your A arms  i think mine are looking like 23" long

thank you

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #209 on: August 31, 2020, 05:29:58 PM »
nice progress!    so if your the distance  ( up and down ) from upper hiem mounts to lower is equal to the carrier. i do not produce more than -.5* camber in the rear. i also have less than 1/8" axle plunge.  i would say 12" seems to be a safe bet on those axle if you keep the plunge to a bare minimum. the only way to find out is to try it!!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal