Author Topic: new doubles  (Read 11783 times)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
Re: new doubles
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2009, 07:17:21 PM »
Yea come on,just watch out for 2000 lb cows.  Neighbor saw you kill it you buy it, retail. :o

Here's some picks for Voodo,  I was drinking and taking pic so I hope He can make sense of.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
i spent like 4 hours.. making a new 10 degree rake front end..  btw, that is alot!!!! looks goofy.  i mounted the arms with some nice radiused tabs a made at work. tacked it all together.  lowered the buggy...  instantly got furious..  at full droop the frame of buggy was only about 1 inch off ground.. wtf!!!!!!   so at ride height it would be riding on the ground. not sure how i screwed it up so bad!!! partially blame it on the rake of the front end. gonna change it to 5..
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2009, 08:58:34 PM »
i spent like 4 hours.. making a new 10 degree rake front end..  btw, that is alot!!!! looks goofy.  i mounted the arms with some nice radiused tabs a made at work. tacked it all together.  lowered the buggy...  instantly got furious..  at full droop the frame of buggy was only about 1 inch off ground.. wtf!!!!!!   so at ride height it would be riding on the ground. not sure how i screwed it up so bad!!! partially blame it on the rake of the front end. gonna change it to 5..

OUCH!!   We need a picture of that........    Just for reference!

Admin

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2009, 09:24:46 PM »
With the short a arms, change it to zero, all rake is gonna do is limit your travel...

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2009, 11:45:04 PM »
im about ready to throw those arms away... make my own.. and use those spindles so i can have front breaks.. i bout 4 pairs of high mis spacers from phelps.. and all i would need is some quality heims and bungs that would pit my 7/8"id tube..  i need someone to tell me what to do!!!! i obviously cant make good decisons. yea that rake killed my ground clearance.  i dont need much travel because there is not a whole lot of bumps jumps or dips around here. thats why the quad arms were ideal. but these are weird, the top arm is shorter and needs to be mounted almost 2 inches out farther than the bottom arm. my new from section i made was originally square tube, then i hacked that off and made a round tube section last night.  ugh im just dissapointed and feel lost.. i just wanna stick a freakin front end on there and get on with the rest of my build!!!!!!!!! please help..  and this plead of help doesnt include me spending hundreds of dollars.  :)

SPEC

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2009, 06:00:48 AM »
VDC,
Some pix would help, rake doesn't limit your travel...It only alows the wheel/tire to travel at an angle... rearward...Before you go and whack it up get us some pix...I already know what the problem is...I did it before
Take a step back and a deep breath...
Cuz this Is going to sound like I told you so...250 and 300X spindle got a really shitty geometry setup...I posted what you would have left if trying to get the propper geometry out of them...a snout, hub, and a bunch of steel shavings...
With that said...
How do you have it set up now?
Front of rear steer?
Where on the frame is the lower A-arm mounts?
You already got all the components...If they aren't butchered up too bad... you can still salvage what you got Just, It will take some thinking
Like I said ...
Take a step back and a deep breath...
We'll get you thru this ;D

Admin

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2009, 06:24:27 AM »
when you rake a car 10 degrees with arms that are about 14" long, it most certainly is gonna limit wheel travel, the frame travel is not gonna be the same as the actual wheel travel, limiting its use...

Huh?
It moves the same... just on a different plane, Pure numbers may be lessened by the mounts needing to be angled...Loosing the frame to ground by the amount of the offset but that is minimal...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 08:27:15 AM by Spec »

Admin

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2009, 06:30:30 AM »
Whack the front end off that beetle you got and stick that bad boy on there, it will offer more suspension than your ever gonna get with quad a arms... ;D

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2009, 10:23:43 AM »
well its obvious that is to much rake.. i mounted the arms on the frame as closely to the way they were on the quad. the top arms are exactly one inch out furter than the bottom arms, when going from bolt center to bolt center. so i built my frame  with the top tubes an inch out so i could use the same size tabs for each arm. truthfully id like to just keep the spindles and build my own arms and shorten my front center section. basically do just like carlriddle did, but use heims and not balljoints.   im lost. no camera. almost ready to throw in trash.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2009, 11:37:11 AM »
I have a question. It was suggested to use quad arms and spindles EXACTLY as the were on the quad to prevent these types of problems.Why did you not do so?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Admin

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2009, 12:32:47 PM »
on a quad there like what 3" apart inside? kinda hard to replicate that on a buggy...

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2009, 12:36:36 PM »
A few inchs like a quad should not be all that hard. This picture of Tuts front end shows a dang nice layout of it. Toss in a center load rack or whatever you wish to steer with with the tierod points that close together and angle them like the quad ran them.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Admin

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2009, 12:42:01 PM »
Not hard when its setup like that, voodoos is not tho...A 48" front track is a bit small for a 2 seater as well, all that its gonna be mounted side x side...

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2009, 12:46:46 PM »
i did mount them exactly as they were on the quad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just the center is wider!!! that should not affect anything. that should not affect an geometry. yea if i made the centers only a few inches apart then my front end would be tiny.. on a wide 2 seater. that wouldnt look goofy  ::)   well whatever, sorry i asked for help.. ill just figure it out myself..

Admin

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2009, 12:54:03 PM »
Just take all the rake out and the 8" of travel will be fine, probbaly the best you are gonna get with them...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal