Author Topic: CAD apparently does NOT stand for Carboard Aided Design  (Read 8999 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: CAD apparently does NOT stand for Carboard Aided Design
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2009, 06:09:57 AM »
BTW I have used SW and Alibre.Alibre is very similar to SW for far less money BUT I'm getting a bit pissed at Alibre and some of its' "quirks".They WILL screw you. I may well change to SW in the future.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2009, 06:54:33 AM »
Yeah I am!! ;D
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline Grimm Reaper Racing

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2009, 08:00:49 AM »
Just thought I would throw in my two cents.  A few years ago, as a mechanical engineering student, I was just starting to learn many different CAD programs.  I'd say the easiest program to use or shall I say the most user friendly program I've come across is Solid Works.  It's not my first choice though.  I would prefer to use a combination of AutoCAD Mechanical 2009 and Inventor 2009.  Like the others said before, It's very helpful to solve problems in 2D and then design your parts in 3D.  Also with Inventor, it has a very nice stress / strain analysis function that I find very helpful.

I have a great example of this too.  When I first got the plans to build the Barracuda I modeled it completely first.  I found that most of the components had a factor of safety in the 4 to 4.5 range.  That's overkill for me, so I used Inventor to make the the chassis lighter and still give me adequate strength, ie. a safety factor of about 1.5 to 2.

Artie, if you want a student version of Inventor just pm me and I can get you hooked up.

See you all duneside.😎🤙

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2009, 08:24:44 AM »
Details man,details! Please.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

artie on edge

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 03:05:59 AM »
Well guys, its been a few months now since I acquired Alibre. Yep im damned impressed BUT at the same time damned frustrated.

A question for you Alibre users: Is there an easy way to draw tubing ie: modelling up a frame/chassis? I really cant find any 'help' function that makes sense.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 08:28:33 AM »
I have used Alibre for quite some time.It can be very frustrating .I was recently bit in the ass when it shifted a bore position even tho I had it"locked" in place-AGAIN.Very embarassing and just plain unacceptable let alone costly.  I will likely be changing to SW soon. I have wasted too much time with Alibre.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

hero_saku39

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 09:41:04 PM »
Well guys, its been a few months now since I acquired Alibre. Yep im damned impressed BUT at the same time damned frustrated.

A question for you Alibre users: Is there an easy way to draw tubing ie: modelling up a frame/chassis? I really cant find any 'help' function that makes sense.

there is not an "easy" way like with SW.  You have to sweep a feature (representing the cross section of whatever tube you are using) along a path.  Sometimes you have to cut along the path for relief then sweep.  The "easiest" way may be to do all of your tubes as features on a part.  Then keeping a copy of it safe you can delete portions and export certain features to a new part and have individual parts for each tube.  Definately not easy.  Bi-directional sweep inter-part inside an assembly would be a big help but as far as I know that feature is way down the list.

You appear to have progressed very well......when you have a better way let me know. ;D

eggman

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2009, 12:26:29 PM »
If you are wanting to keep it simple and free, try google sketchup.

We have designed several bumpers with it and no problems.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal