Author Topic: RPM Act------PLEASE Act  (Read 1185 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
RPM Act------PLEASE Act
« on: January 15, 2019, 07:38:00 PM »
RPM Act Advances In House

The Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act took a major step forward on Dec. 6, as the U.S. House Energy and Commerce Committee passed the bill with a bipartisan vote of 33 to 20 to make it eligible for consideration on the floor of the House of Representatives. The bill (H.R. 350) clarifies that it is legal under federal law to manufacture, sell, distribute and install race parts that modify the emissions system of a motor vehicle used solely for racing.

The bill has also cleared the Senate Clean Air Subcommittee, before whom SEMA President and CEO Chris Kersting testified on Nov. 14, and is pending before the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.

The RPM Act addresses a problem that did not exist prior to 2015 when the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued a proposed rule stating it was illegal to convert street vehicles into racing vehicles if the emission system is taken out-of-compliance from its stock configuration. It would also make it illegal to sell any emissions-related parts for those vehicles.

Kersting noted in his testimony that the EPA interpretation contradicts 47 years of previous agency policy, practice and industry understanding of the law as it applies to dedicated race vehicles.

Although the EPA withdrew the proposed rule in April 2017, the agency still asserts it has authority under the Clean Air Act to regulate emissions modifications to converted vehicles used solely for competition. The RPM Act simply confirms that Congress never intended for race vehicles and parts to be regulated under the Clean Air Act. 

SEMA continues to encourage industry support for the RPM Act, as the racing community and the businesses that support it deserve certainty and confidence that the EPA will not go after this American pastime. To keep the pressure on Congress to get the RPM Act over the finish line, contact your legislator using the letter generator at SEMA.org/RPMact.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: RPM Act------PLEASE Act
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 07:19:10 AM »
i remember this from way back. i actually signed 3 petitions for this along the way.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal