Author Topic: long but very nice read on oil  (Read 1258 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: long but very nice read on oil
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »
I read that the first time about 2 years ago and have followed up on it several times. It really makes a person think about what they believe about oils. I was amazed at what his testing revealed. The problem with his results is his completely BS refusal to reveal his test apparatus . This refusal just makes all his testing hearsay and not much more. Do I believe it to be accurate? I don't really know and there is no way to know without his revealing his top secret testing methods and the apparatus he uses. In all honesty,I tend to believe it but without anything other than his word on it ,it is just plain BS until his tests can be verified by independent sources. If a person digs into it his detractors have some very valid points and his arrogance in dealing with them brings everything he says into question. It IS well worth the time to read though.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 11:51:30 AM »
When reading the entire thing pay close attention to his statements on high zinc oils. Most performance guys swear you must have high zinc to prevent wear. This is absolutely untrue. Chevrolet ,way back in the 70's very explicitly said so. Yes,Chevy offered high zinc "break in" oils and zinc oil supplements. WHY??? From what I could find out it was just to appease the high zinc mentalities. Is there anything actually wrong with high zinc oils  Maybe,maybe not. It all depends on the rest of the additive package. Chevrolet did NOT want high zinc oils in an engine under race conditions. Why????? It was because the zinc can and would cause deposits on the spark plugs that would begin to glow red hot. I think we all know what happens then. The engine begins pre-igniting and destruction would follow. Personally,I avoid high zinc oils -period.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 04:27:51 PM »
Section 2 is especially enlightening IMO. Well worth the read.

I'd been running the Quaker State 5W30 Ultimate Durability oil in big buggy ,then decided to go back to the 15W50 Mobil 1 that I ran in the race engines but may now go back to the QS UD. It is much higher rated than the M1 according to 540rat's ranking. Then again I may go to the Amsoil at the top of the list since I am a "dealer" .
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal