Author Topic: OUT WITH THE OLD VW. IN WITH THE SUBARU  (Read 49100 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: OUT WITH THE OLD VW. IN WITH THE SUBARU
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2016, 07:47:26 PM »
will this be done by a spring trip or fall trip to st a 2017????
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline big dave

« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2016, 06:11:37 AM »
I'm going to say spring trip. 2017.i'm not trying to kill myself putting it back together. just letting it happen. but did get some done this last weekend. then I found these great looking bearings in my rock trucks Dana 60, so I'm fixing it first. lot less work to get it back on the road.

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2016, 02:33:58 PM »
That buggy is looking good.  We'll see you next spring then..........

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2016, 10:29:51 AM »
Bearings are looking---------------"great?" WOW! Buggy will be sweet!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline big dave

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2016, 01:36:51 PM »
the buggy is coming along. thanks for the vote of confidence with it. I'm liking the way its coming together so far. just need to round up some more parts. ya I was really surprised to see the bearings in the rock truck.  I traded a VW bug for it about a year ago and have just been wheeling it. I traded for it out of Tennessee it must have spent its life in the mud and lakes down south. nice thing is the deferential  was clean. no signs of rust.  so the next step is tear into the 14 bolt corporate  in the back and hope for the best.   
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:41:35 PM by big dave »

Offline big dave

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2016, 07:10:30 AM »
Well, I have received some more parts. hoping to have it fired up by the end of the month. did run into one little problem. looks like, I need to move the rear cage some. but that is part of the fun, of this hobby right?? lol  rofl
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 07:33:12 AM by big dave »

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2016, 08:37:41 AM »
Could ya flip the turbo around?  Looks like its at an angle that may put back into cage.  But may introduce other problems with the charge lines to cooler?

Looking good.  I got to get busy on mine.....
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline big dave

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2016, 12:41:46 PM »
Could ya flip the turbo around?  Looks like its at an angle that may put back into cage.  But may introduce other problems with the charge lines to cooler?
Looking good.  I got to get busy on mine.....
flipping it was the first thing I tried. but no luck it hits the alternator pulley then. not sure what the plain is yet. I'm thanking I will just cut and lengthen the cage.

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2016, 03:25:40 PM »
Hey Dave, I had the same problem.  I did flip the turbo around, slightly bent the rear bars, then made a new bracket to put the alternator on the drivers side.  But I see your radiator line runs thru there; may not work like mine.  Not a good pic but it shows it.  Keep after it man!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2016, 03:48:05 PM »
lets see if i can put my idea into words lol,,,,look at budlights pic...pull turbo and bolt cross bar back on......bend a tube like in budlights pic and weld it to the ends of you cross bar......once that is done cut the original tube 1" in from the edges of the welds that weld the new one on. now take a 1.5" hole saw and make to end caps and weld the old cross tube ends shut and paint.!! wallah plenty of clearance now you won't have to worry about strength if you are'nt trying to get an additonal 6" or so back there. 2-4" i think you would be just fine. land on your ass end in a wheelie stance & no you won't be fine lol
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 03:55:10 PM by dsrace »

Offline big dave

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2016, 03:51:26 PM »
Hey Dave, I had the same problem.  I did flip the turbo around, slightly bent the rear bars, then made a new bracket to put the alternator on the drivers side.  But I see your radiator line runs thru there; may not work like mine.  Not a good pic but it shows it.  Keep after it man!
do you run a outback header??? the hot  side of the turbo hits my alternator pulley.  another thought I've had, is to build a small t3 flange adapter to tilt the turbo up and in closer to the motor. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 04:02:26 PM by big dave »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2016, 03:54:36 PM »
the wedge shaped flange welded on would work as long as you get your oil drained straight up and down again?

Offline big dave

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2016, 03:58:40 PM »
lets see if i can put my idea into words lol,,,,look at budlights pic...pull turbo and bolt cross bar back on......bend a tube like in budlights pic and weld it to the ends of you cross bar......once that is done cut the original tube 1" in from the edges of the welds that weld the new one on. now take a 1.5" hole saw and make to end caps and weld the old cross tube ends shut and paint.!! wallah plenty of clearance now you won't have to worry about strength if you are'nt trying to get an additonal 6" or so back there. 2-4" i think you would be just fine. land on your ass end in a wheelie stance you no you won't be fine lol
I see what your saying. but the big problem is there is no room for the air filter. the bars that go down and under the car from the rear cage, will be running right in front of the air intake of the turbo. leaving about one inch of clearance.

Offline big dave

« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2016, 04:01:16 PM »
the wedge shaped flange welded on would work as long as you get your oil drained straight up and down again?
at this point I thank the wedge is the best bet. next step build it.

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2016, 04:18:54 PM »
do you run a outback header??? the hot  side of the turbo hits my alternator pulley.  another thought I've had, is to build a small t3 flange adapter to tilt the turbo up and in closer to the motor.

Yes, it is outback.  They also make a header which moves the turbo in closer, my buddy used one.  It came with a heat shield to protect the plastic.  The wedge might be a great/cheap option. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal