Author Topic: OUT WITH THE OLD VW. IN WITH THE SUBARU  (Read 48290 times)

Offline big dave

OUT WITH THE OLD VW. IN WITH THE SUBARU
« on: July 26, 2016, 12:36:56 PM »
Will I have started the motor swap. putting a turbo Subaru in. the back half of the car has been together for quit some time and it shows. found things I did not know was cracked out and some that I did. cutting it out and replacing it with new. this is just what I got done so far. Ya the down comers in the back do not match. but the starter his to fit in there to. take it easy on my welds.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: OUT WITH THE OLD VW. IN WITH THE SUBARU
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 04:46:23 PM »
your going to enjoy the new motor! so does this mean your going to make the LS sept trip??
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 07:40:27 AM »
SUbie vs VW,wonder who wins that?   ;D  Gonna be like a brand new car!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline big dave

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 08:11:41 AM »
this is the set up I'm thank about running for cooling DSRACER
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 08:38:46 AM by big dave »

Offline big dave

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 08:16:46 AM »
the old Vw ran out good, it was far from stock. but I like the reliability of the Subaru. I thank the hp is going to be about the same. FABR. my vw was a 2332 cc the Subaru is a baby motor at 2.0 so I my loose some torque. but I could not pass, on the set up. the price was right.   I got some of the welding out of the way last night. some look good, some look like they will hold. lol  YA I'M NOT A WELDER. HA HA HA . but paint will help. and they will hold. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 08:36:02 AM by big dave »

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 03:13:28 PM »
You did have some serious cracks in the frame  5:  Good to see you getting it fixed and a new engine.  Where did you score the motor at?  Does it have a turbo; looks like it?  I have heard the 2.0 subi's have really good bottom end. 

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 03:48:03 PM »
this is the set up I'm thank about running for cooling DSRACER

For comparison, my radiator is 14 x 32 with 2 Spal 12" fans.  The fans do run quite a bit, but I have never seen over 190 degrees. 

Offline big dave

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 04:24:35 PM »
You did have some serious cracks in the frame  5:  Good to see you getting it fixed and a new engine.  Where did you score the motor at?  Does it have a turbo; looks like it?  I have heard the 2.0 subi's have really good bottom end.
One of the guys I ride with here, had bought it out of Arizona 3-4 year back. I would say it has 30 hours at best on it. but as it goes, he felt like he needed more HP, so he is up grading to v6 Buick supercharger  motor. sold it to me for less them half of what he had in it. adaptor, ecu, wiring . all I have to come up with is the radiator and fual pump. Oh ya it is a WRX motor turbo. I just hope it runs as good as the VW did. lol

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 05:05:28 PM »
question for fast and budlight 69....... on the 2.0 suby is there a stroker crank available? what is the stock comp ratio? fast you told me you put turbo heads on 2.5 motor in the green car before you sold it and that they really woke the engine up.....were those the turbo heads only used on the japan cars or what?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 05:06:03 PM »
One of the guys I ride with here, had bought it out of Arizona 3-4 year back. I would say it has 30 hours at best on it. but as it goes, he felt like he needed more HP, so he is up grading to v6 Buick supercharger  motor. sold it to me for less them half of what he had in it. adaptor, ecu, wiring . all I have to come up with is the radiator and fual pump. Oh ya it is a WRX motor turbo. I just hope it runs as good as the VW did. lol

your geared better than he so i bet you'll be happy and if not then 2.5 it is lol

Offline big dave

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 06:05:25 AM »
For comparison, my radiator is 14 x 32 with 2 Spal 12" fans.  The fans do run quite a bit, but I have never seen over 190 degrees.
  the ecotec guys our running the Cherokee radiators on the 2.3. so I fell good about running it. in the Cherokee its cooling a 4.0 6 cylinder. my simple mind says  it will work. ha ha ha You cant beat the price.

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 08:22:01 AM »
question for fast and budlight 69....... on the 2.0 suby is there a stroker crank available? what is the stock comp ratio? fast you told me you put turbo heads on 2.5 motor in the green car before you sold it and that they really woke the engine up.....were those the turbo heads only used on the japan cars or what?

I don't know of a stroker crank.  The stock comp ratio for a non-turbo engine 10.5:1.  My JDM 2.5 was too high to turbo, I had to get another short block from outback. 

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 08:43:15 AM »
Don't know of any strock'er cranks for the 2.0's.  Mite think about going with a interocular on it.  Would greatly improve the life of the motor with a turbo.  And put OutFronts phone number in your phone and assigne a speed dial number to it.   LMAO

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline big dave

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 09:51:28 AM »
FAST The intercooler is in the plan.  thanking I will design it myself. outback makes a great product. BBBBUUUUTTTTT one in collage and one getting close to it,, makes me a tight ass. lol necessity is the mother of all invention. they say!! I made all the plumbing on the turbo VW so how hard could it be.   5: 5: 5: 5: 5:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal