Author Topic: Not a buggy - get over it. Yummi's Jeep.  (Read 4852 times)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Not a buggy - get over it. Yummi's Jeep.
« on: July 21, 2013, 04:37:29 PM »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
Re: Not a buggy - get over it. Yummi's Jeep.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 04:52:49 PM »
If it were me, i would mount the winch to a receiver so it could be moved to the rear if needed.

Second thing i would do is for safety. People tend to carry a lot more STUFF in their 4x4s than buggy guys. That being said, build some kind of an interior rack to secure all the stuff you throw in the back. When you nose it into a rock, or a slow rollover, that stuff will be flying around like crazy.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 05:09:42 PM »
Wonder if they make a cargo management system? 

One thought was expanded metal between rear and front seats cause the rear are folded flat for the dogs.  Guess a better option might be netting that can be removed in the event we ever have folks in the back seat? 

In case of roll over I worry more about doggies than the rest, thought expanded steel to keep doggies from wanting to come up front. 

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 07:02:27 PM »
Wonder if they make a cargo management system? 

One thought was expanded metal between rear and front seats cause the rear are folded flat for the dogs.  Guess a better option might be netting that can be removed in the event we ever have folks in the back seat? 

In case of roll over I worry more about doggies than the rest, thought expanded steel to keep doggies from wanting to come up front.

They make some very nice doggie safety harness.  Something you should think about.  They are a full harness with some leader straps that connect to the safety belt latches.  Incase of a roll they would just be suspended but could not choke on them.  Then use your expand metal between the back cargo area and the back seat. 

http://www.petsmart.com/family/index.jsp?f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo&numResultsPerPage=192&categoryId=2767119&lmdn=Dog+Collars%2C+Tags+%26+Leashes&f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2767119&fbc=1&fbn=Taxonomy|Harnesses&fbx=0&OVMTC=Broad&site=&creative=35628367176&OVKEY=harness%20for%20dog&url_id=150251640&adpos=1t1&device=c&devicemodel=&gclid=CKOJn8PzwbgCFabm7AodsnIALA

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 02:23:12 AM »
So, what got me prompted to do this is last time out we got a flat.  Need new tires.  Given that it is trail rig, I figured this would be fine choice?  Any thoughts?  They are 31" equivalents. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 03:02:59 PM »
Good suggestions so far!! I have no clue on the tires tho.  The Corbeaus are just like the ones in new car if standard size Corbeaus. I'm not too big a guy and they fit me snug. I think you are just a bit bigger than I.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 05:30:51 PM »
Good suggestions so far!! I have no clue on the tires tho.  The Corbeaus are just like the ones in new car if standard size Corbeaus. I'm not too big a guy and they fit me snug. I think you are just a bit bigger than I.

This your subtle way of calling me fat?   rofl

They are tight.  I figure it will keep that fat girls out of the ride.  I have dropped some weight since you last saw me, so they should be ok. Long as I don't confuse my ass with my ego i should fit.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 06:07:33 PM »
 LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO  No,I wasn't insinuating a thing.  ;D ;D ......................really!! I think I'll really like mine as the arm cutouts in the sides really allow full freedom of movement and don't seem to interfere with steering at all. Something most seats haven't given me.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 06:11:02 PM »
I must be retarded.  Really don't need another project.  Insert banging head on wall smiley here. 

Yep, decided to spend some money today.  Guess it is time to jack up a perfectly good jeep? 

So last time out got a flat.  And it begins...... 

Running 235/75/15.  Opted for 31/10.5/15 - hope they clear.  Guys at Big O were nice enough.  Opted for the Big Foot XT as they had more wiggle room on that and it came with you know super duper road hazard warranty that covers everything but what I did to them.  Course that doubles my tire budget but figured a more aggressive tire would be better. 

I bought five so I will have full size spare.  Yeah, that's a problem.  See, now I figure I need a place to put that as I doubt it will work in spare location.

Course that means likely going to have to trim fenders.  I have seen some that look great with a trim, some not so much.  Here's to hoping I can figure out the great one. 

Tend to this whole tire issue, spare mount, then onto undercarriage armor, install suspension seats and a Safari rack thrown in just for grins I guess. 

Will throw up some pictures when tires are done.  Here is what I am starting with.   Guess there might as well be some before and "after" pictures?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 08:37:46 PM »
Yummi,the 50/50 antifreeze/stopleak works well in street tires also.You're gonna have fun trail riding!!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 05:07:39 AM »
Well, the up-sizeed tires fit and cleared.  Will still be triming fenders, etc.  Might as well make this the most capable trail rig I can?  Looking to be a solid 4 rig and then just run 3's. 

Took it out Sunday, ALONE, on a relatively easy trail and well, it decided to get funky.  (It is a well traveled trail and was not too worried about it.)

Stalled, would not run well, etc.  Did not leave us stranded and by the end of the loop it finally threw an error code.  Cool.  It was scheduled to go see my favorite auto mechanic anyways.  Now he will have something to do to it.....  LMAO It is clearly a fueling issue.  Exactly what I don't know. 

But reminded me not to do that shit alone, and get a recovery bag safely stashed on this rig.  Also going to have to get a CB and GPS.  The local off road guys use a specific channel and some guys monitor it.  Shana was so not looking forward to a 5 mile hike out.  Stopped and met a nice guy who takes a big poly tank to water some trees.  He calls them the "sacred beer trees."  Just in case you beer drinkers were wondering where they are - I now know. 

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 09:00:49 AM »

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 09:11:34 AM »
Is it tough to get in and out of with the corbos?

looks like you lost some headroom? (Now that I look again ,maybe not)

NICE

you lose a flip flop during the install?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 09:13:10 AM by Hammerworks »

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 09:12:05 AM »
Lookin good. I bet you look like a trucker getting out now. You have to slide forward, turn and back out of the Jeep ass first.  ;D

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 09:22:01 AM »
Lookin good. I bet you look like a trucker getting out now. You have to slide forward, turn and back out of the Jeep ass first.  ;D

Kind of.  Like I say trade offs.  Ehh.  Better to use the seats than sell them at a loss. 

Now onto to bumpers and exterior tire rack.  31" will not fit in factory spare position and no sense being off road without a full size spare. 

May cut the fenders.  Really trying to avoid that but want to be able to run a 3 / 3.5 and that may require disconnect of sway bars which would stuff tires into fenders.  Figure it would be better to do it on my terms than getting them all stuffed and bending shit?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal