Author Topic: Crazy Fast Build  (Read 49978 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: Crazy Fast Build
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2013, 02:02:44 PM »
He knows his place......................hehehee
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2013, 09:38:58 AM »
I think I am not exactly following here where is the 35* bend, on the rear to lower the rear lower link mounts?  The connection points for the rear links will be in the same plane as the connection points for the front lower arm.  Same is true for the upper mounts as well.  I am thinking I would be looking for the front to be 1" higher in the front I like to keep the car basically neutral front to rear so it doesn't push though the corners even though I will have cutting brakes.

The 30" tire is the road tire for around the ranch.  I will be setting the suspension with 1100 paddles.

why i asked..........if you go with a 7.60 5 rib or cutting tire on the front it should measure 28" tall depending on manufacturer. if you run 28 or 30" in the rear then you will have a balance issue. when i say balance i mean equal ground clearence front to back. now you really prob want the front to sit 2" higher than the rear w/o passengers. the tube you have welded across the lower frame behind the seats that you rear susp and engine cradle will weld to might need to be changed. i put a 35* bend on the ends of this tube to drop it 3" down. the reason for this is where the lower a-arm mounts to the front susp cradle is at the bottom and the spindle stub is located at the bottom of the spindle upright so the center is low. even if you could mount your rear links or lower a-arm in the rear at the same point , your wheel bearing or hub center will prob wind up centered on the carrier, so you already have lost ground clearence compared to front. now my bet is that loss with a 30" tire will amount to prob 2" to 4" ( depending on angle of rear cradle) and depending on where you mount your jeffco you might not be able to mount the lower rod/a-arm tabs as low as the front cradle so another 1" to 2" ground clearence loss too. this is why i drop that tube down the 3" and then brace it to the frame accordingly. and i do mean brace it!  not saying you need to change it but you might want to consider it now rather than later, i know you were baseing your build off pic but you can't see all in a pic.the fram looks good from the pics but the front cradle looks real nice btw  ;D

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2013, 10:37:05 AM »
I think the rear center bracing is more needed w/a-arms than link style.  The forces are just placed at diff spots on frame.  I know on my A-arm I had some serious frame flex problems first time out at dunes.  DS did a great job supervising me while I welded tubes at dunes.  Then I added more tubes when I returned home to carry the forces thru the bottom of the chassis. 

PS. by supervising I mean he sat in a chair w/cold beer and watched.  rofl ;D rofl

sat in carls chair drinking one of his beers and watched!    LMAO LMAO  I did have some extra tube I gave him to weld in so that was my job   rofl rofl
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2013, 10:42:13 AM »
I think I am not exactly following here where is the 35* bend, on the rear to lower the rear lower link mounts?  The connection points for the rear links will be in the same plane as the connection points for the front lower arm.  Same is true for the upper mounts as well.  I am thinking I would be looking for the front to be 1" higher in the front I like to keep the car basically neutral front to rear so it doesn't push though the corners even though I will have cutting brakes.

The 30" tire is the road tire for around the ranch.  I will be setting the suspension with 1100 paddles.

1100 paddles are 31" tall and factor for ground clearance in your cad model and you'll see what I am talking about. I set the rail nose up 2" so that once two occupants sit down inside the rail it sit level but I pre fer mine up so I set mine a little higher. the tube that runs left to right on the lower frame in the far back in the first picture. this tube is the tube you seat mount tubes will weld too as well as your engine/suspension cradle if you continue to copy one of mine. if you are not then I am not sure where all of yours will mount. this tube is the one I talk about to lower the rear cradles to get the equal ground clearance I talked about in my post.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2013, 10:43:03 AM »
He knows his place......................hehehee

;D

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2013, 07:43:39 PM »
So I guess I am going to cut those bottom bars out and do the floor similar to how the rest of you have done it.  My head is just to close to the frame. I was hoping to keep the floor flat so one piece of metal could cover the entire rail.

Been working on the parts that rear carriers mount to i.e. built them thru them away rebuilt them and so on.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2013, 07:50:09 PM »
My floor is flat.  I can relate to the " built them thru them away rebuilt them and so on." thing too!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2013, 06:36:51 AM »
I would try to stay with flat floor too, just easier.  The pic of the seats in car, they look real high from floor.  Out of car on ground they dont look that high?  How did you mount?  I mount back seat bracket at floor level and raise front to a comfy angle.  I'm tall. 6'4", and have 6" head room on my DS copy.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2013, 08:10:57 PM »
I installed them on a slide so the kids can adjust and drive. I also raised the front of the seat four inches to give it that angle.  The slide and the 1.25 tubing add 3 inches the seat.  Maybe I did get the frame height right.

Off to do some more grinding.......

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2013, 07:08:37 PM »
Put a large order in with SandParts.com because Anthony is a supporter of this website.  I have started receiving some of those parts.

Here are the 2.5 Sway Away shocks for the rear.  This would have been hard to do on purpose but the two shock boxes where taped together and during shipping the two valve stems hit each other breaking both of them.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2013, 07:27:02 PM »
Well,that sucks but I'm sure he'll get new stems for you . Lost the charge but you'll need to have a nitrogen bottle available anyway to air up when changing oil levels and such while tuning them.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2013, 07:29:03 PM »
It's a wonder how much of anything gets to us undamaged . Between crappy packaging and freight providers we ain't got a snowballs chance in hades. LOL!!!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2013, 08:05:51 PM »
ya know the funny part it they will blame it on the person that packaged it rather than on the rigid roller coaster they call a conveyer belt!

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2013, 08:40:34 PM »
I'm betting some delivery person along the line just threw them on the dock or truck floor.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2013, 11:32:04 PM »
Steering Parts from Sand Parts.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal