Author Topic: Chinese buggys  (Read 19268 times)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
Re: Chinese buggys
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 05:20:18 PM »
Better location than being used as a bumper. 

So it made a week before you took the cutoff saw to it.  Is that a record?   rofl
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 12:19:14 AM »
Better location than being used as a bumper. 

So it made a week before you took the cutoff saw to it.  Is that a record?   rofl

yes it probally is, but its bolt on/off so its reversable, should l need to,  you just have to alter things dont ya  :laugh:  will be out testing next week, video on the way   

Andy

Offline Baloo

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 01:27:29 PM »
l made the tank 3" wide as that was how wide the sender unit is so that just about fits, a couple of airline fittings welded on for the fuel out and return to tank,  couple of coats of paint and its ready to install

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 01:27:53 PM »
I'm betting the buggy is a fun ride.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Baloo

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2012, 01:37:49 PM »
I'm betting the buggy is a fun ride.

its better than you would think a chinese buggy is going to be  :o

l will be out next week with my pal who bought my old pilot of me, we can pit one against the other and see the relative performance, even at 30 years of age a pilot is still a good bench mark ?

l bought the buggy to examine really as l want to build a 2 seater this year, l reasoned that  these chinese buggys may have started of poor but after churning them out for years they must have learnt something and improved the design,    once l get sorted l can post up pics of the layout and dimensions of this one and we can disscuss and redsign the buggy frame and suspension, maybe even post up all the drawings of the  "modifyed" so as anyone who wants to build one will have access to dimensioned plans ????????
l want to push the rear frame rails further apart  to open up the engine and box choice a bit more, do you have the audi 20v turbo engine over there they are plenty powerfull and cheap over here

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2012, 01:54:36 PM »
If my memory serves me................. the pilots and Odysseys before them were Japanese made. Bottom line is that the Chinese build crap when requested to without any reservations. They CAN build better and WILL in the future. I believe the rest of the world should take notice of that fact and pull it's head out,try to figure out how to compete ,and quit whining about Chinese stuff.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Baloo

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2012, 04:44:34 PM »
dont you just love weekends when you get to work on your buggy

tank is painted and fixed in, seats are back in and l have made the new rear bumper

bit more of a roundy arse on her this time  :laugh:

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2012, 01:07:46 AM »
a bit nicer looking.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Baloo

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 02:54:11 PM »
l finally got  fed up of waiting for it to dry up and took the buggy out for a quick test,
ended up testing the durability of the gopro more than the buggy   :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grzzQHewNiY&feature=plcp

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:56:34 PM by Baloo »

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 04:43:10 PM »
Baloo!!!!!!!!!!!

What you doing not putting on your five points.  You know better then that.   Come on man we can't have you getting hurt or injured here.   Shape up man.  GoPro is a tuff little bitch huh. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 07:16:30 PM »
so,what are your impressions of the buggy and just where in Hades did you have the go pro mounted in the first part of the vid???????????
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Baloo

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2012, 01:45:17 AM »
so,what are your impressions of the buggy and just where in Hades did you have the go pro mounted in the first part of the vid???????????

l was using one of those new anti -gravity mounts  for the camera, its linked by wireless to the buggy and is supposed to follow 3' out and 3' behind the buggy but l think there was something wrong with the communications as it kept wondering off into the bushes,  :laugh:

impressions of the buggy ?, l love it it handles well, very predictable, lift off over steer would describe it l think, you can  come steaming into a corner lift off the power sharply for half a second turn the  wheel the way you want it to go stamp back on the gas and the back just powers round and helps you around the corner,  steering could do with being a bit quicker but then its just a car steering rack at present so that needs upgrading and of course it needs more horsepower, but dont they all lol, its got a nissan micra K10 engine fitted at present, 1000cc and a whopping 52 hp l think, but thats 20 odd hp more than my pilot ever had but still nowhere near enough,   the nissan micra K11 engine is a 1300cc 16v engine and is the next step, around 80 bhp and more revy, but the big advantage l am hopeing for should come from the CVT gearbox its fitted with,  l bought a couple of micra's up cheap one manual and one cvt so if the cvt fails l have a plan B with the manual box,  man there is a lot of wiring on a modern fuel injected car, the ecu and tcu want to know everything that is going on in the car from all the usual inputs from the engine sensors to inputs from the aircon, light switch, brake light switch, it also needs to know when you put your foot on the gas pedal  at 5% to work the powder clutch and 40% throttle to change the friction/drive rate to improve acceleration, lot a lot of wires but l printed the ecu pin out on an 8'x4' panel and pinned it on the garage wall, nearly there lol,  l made a test bench up for the engine and box so as l could run it up and get it to function properly with out having it installed in a buggy that way l can tinker with it while still using the buggy,  new engine and box is 32" wide which gives me some problems if l want to use double A arm so l might have to go trailing arm,  maybe not as precise as double A arm but  trailing arm might be easier to package and make stronger  ??    wil get you some pics of the stock suspension

here's the engine test bed

cheap nissan micra's are starting to gather lol

and l gave the buggy a run round my track yesterday but its still soaking wet, 6" of water in some of the ruts and the grass was wet and slippy like driving on ice so l was a bit carefull with the throttle after l ripped the front left mudgaurd off on a tree  eyes

picture seems poor on YT yet on my computer its amazing, must be YT dumbing it down ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIEjlM4YEMg&feature=plcp
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 04:20:50 AM by Baloo »

Offline Baloo

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2012, 12:48:59 PM »

ok l lied about he anti-gravity camera mount,  radio shack were out of stock so l just used a length of 1" box section steel instead, but its to flexy so l will try a bit of 2" next time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgSoZkDGskY&feature=plcp

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2012, 02:19:38 PM »
The rear axles ,is there a slip joint in them?
Let me know when RS gets the anti gravity mounts back in stock. I need one or 2.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2012, 06:39:59 AM »
Baloo your having way to much fun with that anti gravity mount.  You may have to work on finding a wider trail so it don't get so tangled up in the bush.  Glad to see your five points on this time.  I liken you getting into that buggy to me trying to stuff my self into a sardine can.   rofl

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal