Author Topic: first step of new build  (Read 57364 times)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
Re: first step of new build
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 02:27:21 PM »
Time to move on to 2nd step!   ;)
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »
baby step baby steps just like buying a chevy instead of a ford!  rofl rofl

I will have some pics before too long for all to see but had some things around the shop that required attention first like my air compressor that literally through a rod!
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 12:52:24 PM »
A month and no pics!!  What you been doing, breaking in the new camper.   LMAO LMAO LMAO

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 02:01:44 PM »
Idaho 6/24/12 6/30/12.  Better get your butt in gear.  Be there or be.  Well square. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 06:32:34 PM »
butt has been in gear but everytime I turn around someone is buying the chassis I just built for myself so off to start another one this weekend right after I get my fith wheel hitch in.

trans man

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 06:35:10 PM »
That's a good one Carl! :m :m :m :m

trans man

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 07:01:14 PM »
Where's the pics of your progress? 8) 8)

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 09:10:12 PM »
getting there but no pics yet, cause I haven't taken any  rofl  well I took several and sent to carl but those were on the phone and tiny!

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 12:32:41 PM »
ok I am not making excuses but in my defense since I started this build I have to stop to build and sell 5 front end kits and 2 more frames and mine has had to take a back seat!! I made the whole chassis out of 1.25" od .120 1020 dom except for 2 tubes that are 1.5' od, I have my reasons lol. my head sticks up about 2" higher than the head rest and ya that's a lot of head room but I figure I am only one trip away from rolling it so I want neck stretching room.  elbow to elbow is 60" and front track width with brakes and 2.5" offset beadlocks is 77" total length is 12' or exactly 143.75".  24" wheel travel with 27.5" ground clearance at full droop with the 6.70's tires. I am just finding time to get back on it but now I got 2 more front ends to build so it is what it is!!  lol  I do have a wharehouse of parts sitting around or atleast that's what it looks like!! lol  also I made a simple center console as i have made for a few others in the past and I am and will be running 2.5 fox airs so critique away.....

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 01:43:07 PM »
Looking good!  Keep on keeping on. Some things come first. Trying to get in front of ya so yours looks like the copy. Lol.  We can swap I shod be able to see over shock hoops.   LMAO

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 05:48:56 PM »
Nice, keep the pictures coming it makes it way easier to copy that way.  I am one of those front end kits, nice peace for sure.  Thanks ;)

I only had a couple of very minor points.  Behind the seats there is two tubes that runs from the top to the middle of the tube you connect the seat beats to.  When there are two tubes that run out to the bottom outer edges of the frame.  If the rubber side is wrong side up I don't think those bottom two tubes will provide much reinforcement.  You would more than like have to add some more tubes when you connect the engine but a tube from the middle of the floor to that crossing point could help support the weight of the nut behind the wheel and the bigger nut next to the nut behind the wheel if that wrong side up thing happens.

The second minor point is I would connect the two bent tubes togeither that are currently connecting the upper parts of the front end.

If you don't mind, where are you guys getting those tabs that you use for connecting the aluminum to the frame?  It seems like allot of you guys are using those exact ones.  The other question is where are you guys getting those rear carriers (sitting on the stack of tires in the back ground)?

Thanks,

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2012, 06:22:15 PM »
Nice, keep the pictures coming it makes it way easier to copy that way.  I am one of those front end kits, nice peace for sure.  Thanks ;)

I only had a couple of very minor points.  Behind the seats there is two tubes that runs from the top to the middle of the tube you connect the seat beats to.  When there are two tubes that run out to the bottom outer edges of the frame.  If the rubber side is wrong side up I don't think those bottom two tubes will provide much reinforcement.  You would more than like have to add some more tubes when you connect the engine but a tube from the middle of the floor to that crossing point could help support the weight of the nut behind the wheel and the bigger nut next to the nut behind the wheel if that wrong side up thing happens.

The second minor point is I would connect the two bent tubes togeither that are currently connecting the upper parts of the front end.

If you don't mind, where are you guys getting those tabs that you use for connecting the aluminum to the frame?  It seems like allot of you guys are using those exact ones.  The other question is where are you guys getting those rear carriers (sitting on the stack of tires in the back ground)?

Thanks,

thanks on the front end kit , i like them a lot too!!  rofl rofl

on the center of the cross brace in the rear, yes I know but have to wait till I get the rear cradle in first and oil cooler. on the front cradle, yes I know and normally I run a tube straight across the frame but i was working on it one night and saw those two bent cut offs laying there, held them up and well you can see where I went with it!!    ;) ;D  once i get farther along there will be a connecting tube just had to wait till I got the steering shaft in.

the body tabs i use are from A&A manufacturing  p/n# aa-563a  1/8" steel  1/4" hole.

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2012, 06:24:26 PM »
oh ya and the carriers you see on the rim are mine, I am getting ready to place another order at the laser cutters right soon but i have one adjustment to make to fit a deeper offset rim first plus i want 2 bolt patterns in there to fit 2 wheel bearings.

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2012, 06:30:16 PM »
ya I know what you mean carl and it's amazing how that extra 1.75" taller shock tower really stands out  but i wanted those 12" stroke 2.5's and they are 4" taller than the 2.0's!! they don't make a 10" stroke in them or they would be on there way all ready!!!    ;D

trans man

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 03:27:58 PM »
Looken good. I'm glad to see those shocks aren't sitting in the gun display case anymore! rofl rofl rofl

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal