Author Topic: Adding an alternator  (Read 5928 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
Re: Adding an alternator
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 07:09:08 AM »
no im not getting pissed.. lol.     just figured if i had it putting out good power within the range im normally cruising.. that things would be good..   my axle will never spin faster in any gear than it will in 6th at high rpms.. thats WHY ive been going off my engine rpms...     

but ok, i asked for help because at the time i posted the thread I couldnt think of how to do this..   

LETS DO IT FROM THE MPH THEN.....         (its just easier for me to figure my axle rpms from my engine rpms)

ok so i top out at 99mph according to gearing calc.....   now what?
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 07:51:58 AM »
IMO,what you're not catching is that the LOW rpm is what you should be concerned about. The load on the electrical system is approx the same at idle as redline. You will be running the battery down when at lower speeds.Soooo, you NEED to have it charging even at very low road speeds.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 07:58:48 AM »
yea ive gotten that the whole time..  the ONLY  reason i want to add an alt..  is to provide some better charging to my battery... duh right? lol.   

ill put this thread on hold till i get my alt.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 07:59:14 AM »
Is there a place near you that does rewinding?

You might be able to get your bike alternator rewound for more amps, and fit an aftermarket diode pack to handle the increased current.
I agree that that MAY be the best thing to do. I know where you can have a higher output regulator/rectifier built. They built me a couple of 40 amp units for the busa. The busa makes 30 stock. They said the stator could handle the 40 amps stock. BUT they also will rewind your stator if necessary.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 08:23:36 AM »
yea ive gotten that the whole time..  the ONLY  reason i want to add an alt..  is to provide some better charging to my battery... duh right? lol.   

I assume you are considering a small 1 wire 30 amp approx output alt? If so ,that's a good choice. I know from a fubar that they will withstand approx 26000 rpm for a short time. LOL!!!!! On my dragster I run an electric shifter. FOr some reason it failed to shift on a run. Datalogger showed almost 13000 engine rpm. Alt was at a 2:1 overdrive. Even on a normal run I'll run 8000 shift rpm so for many years it handled 16000 rpm on a regular basis.  What I'm getting at is that, IMO ,you don't need to worry about top speed rpm of the alternator and would be better served concerning yourself with getting an adequate rate of charge at LOW speeds most of all. That's where most of your battery discharge will occur due to lower charging rates from the alt at lower rpms.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2010, 08:30:37 AM »
sounds like a plan..   im just gonna get a chevy truck alt and configure it for one wire.... did it on my nova..

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2010, 11:35:37 AM »
I assume you are considering a small 1 wire 30 amp approx output alt? If so ,that's a good choice. I know from a fubar that they will withstand approx 26000 rpm for a short time. LOL!!!!! On my dragster I run an electric shifter. FOr some reason it failed to shift on a run. Datalogger showed almost 13000 engine rpm. Alt was at a 2:1 overdrive. Even on a normal run I'll run 8000 shift rpm so for many years it handled 16000 rpm on a regular basis.  What I'm getting at is that, IMO ,you don't need to worry about top speed rpm of the alternator and would be better served concerning yourself with getting an adequate rate of charge at LOW speeds most of all. That's where most of your battery discharge will occur due to lower charging rates from the alt at lower rpms.

If they'll handle that many RPMs then there really is no need to calculate anything.  Put the biggest pulley you can fit on the axle and call it good.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2010, 11:39:14 AM »
yea really..  lol.. 12" diameter pulley will be max unless i want it below the frame.. (no)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2010, 12:48:13 PM »
Sort of what I was saying in my original exaggerated reply.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2010, 11:51:44 AM »
so besides tom pro who else sells alternator conversion kits?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal