Author Topic: porsche bits  (Read 2064 times)

Offline Baloo

porsche bits
« on: April 01, 2010, 10:07:09 AM »
hello boys

l have come by some porsche bits and pieces for nothing thanks to emptying a garage out for a friend,  not one for throwing things away l find myself pondering another buggy biuld  eyes  but l know nothing about porsche mecahanicals so l am looking for some schooling here,

l assume they are related to vw beetle components ? if this is the case then there must be thousands of buggys out there biult from them,
the sort of thing l have in mind is like the green one in this thread
http://dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=2419.0
    but with a shorter rear end and longer bonnet and perhaps the seats pushed back a little further,

so what l am asking is is the 944 rear axle any good for use in a buggy, it looks simalar to a beetle but with alliminium trailing arms and disc brakes instead of drums,
the torque tube looks like it would shorten down by 18" or so leaving the gearbox in the stock position at the rear and the engine at the front (ish)
dont have the porsche engine so it would be a choice of what l have around either the rover V8 ( buick ?)  or a mazda rx7 rotary,

is there any buggy sites that are for this type of buggy or vw anyway,
what do you think guys, usefull bits or junk ?

Andy

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
Re: porsche bits
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 11:14:31 AM »
I use 944 (type 4 CVs) in my double A-arm rears to suit Piranhas. I have really put them through some $hit and they always worked well.

Islander

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 10:25:49 PM »
I've always wondered about why you don't see more rotary engines in buggies?

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 10:34:36 PM »
I've always wondered about why you don't see more rotary engines in buggies?

There are a few Rotaries at Silver Lake sand dunes and I have seen a good few at Glamis.

They do not make a lot of low torque but will rev to the moon it seems.

You might find a few on Youtube if you search for Rotary buggies or sandrails.

Now days the Subaru motor is prefferred by many as it makes low end torque and will still rev like a rotary AND they are easier to find! 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 07:19:28 AM »
Every now and again you see one.  They sound absolutely wicked when done right.  They seemed to be the real hot item for a bit.  That was short lived and they got a reputation for expensive real quick.  Don't know if that was deserved or not.  At this point it seems to hurt the sale of a car - like a beam car or a VW motor does. 

I think there greatest downfall is that the backyard tuners don't mess with them too much.  Far easier to work on, and in some aspects understand,  a subaru, ecotech, honda, or LS1, etc.  That whole pesky concept of a wobbly egg in an elongated hole really baffles folks on how to make them tuner motors.       

here's a picture of one in a buggy...

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 07:40:27 AM by Yummi »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Baloo

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 12:45:30 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal