Author Topic: oct 2009 footage  (Read 9060 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: oct 2009 footage
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2009, 11:02:04 PM »
Hey Doug Start getting the size of the people goings tail pipes and make some professional looking aluminum clamps with a little screen.

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2009, 11:03:47 PM »
Good idea

Everyone give me your pipe hole size. (keep minds out of gutter!)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2009, 11:07:53 PM »
 I aint 100% sure BUT if you use approved screen (if there is such a thing?) Or is it just metal screen?) they might be truely legit. How its held there should be of no consequence. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2009, 11:13:28 PM »
Well they use a 3/8" diameter rod. A good tight (or not tight?) metal screen should work well. For a clean look, a split aluminum clamp should hold it.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2009, 11:22:57 PM »
I would think tight is better. (as would most........  :P )

Might take a peek at some sparkies necx time your at the ATV shop to try to find screen that si at least close jsut in case they peek at it and go Hmmmm. Being the clamp is not going to say "US forrestry approved".

Or is it???  ;D 

That might be one you don't wanna touch.

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2009, 11:39:50 PM »
simple engraving right?  :P   ;D   8)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2009, 11:47:17 PM »
IF (I AINT condoning it!!) it was done the times I have seen it its fine STAMPED letters.

Take a peek at a couple sparkies to see it.

CNC it aint!   :police:

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2009, 06:46:10 PM »
OK SINCE YOUTUBE IS NOW CENSORING MUSIC!!
I cut it down and put it on photobucket with audio, here it is
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 07:43:22 PM by Dsrace »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2009, 06:47:59 PM »
my tail pipe is 3" od  and the last 1 1/2" to 2" is swedged down 3/4".
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2009, 09:21:45 AM »
Can we park in our camp spots and drive our rails to the gate? Or do we have to trailer them to the gate unload, go out the gate play reload trailer back to camp ground???????
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2009, 10:18:22 AM »
Can we park in our camp spots and drive our rails to the gate? Or do we have to trailer them to the gate unload, go out the gate play reload trailer back to camp ground???????

Maybe I should let Doug handle this one.... Nah!

Now before you take ANY of this to heart I am describing the worst case scenes. This is usually the Labor day, Forth of July, and Memorial day weekends. These ARE the best times to see idiots being stupid out there but the crowds to fight to get in are a PAIN IN THE ASH! The weekends before and after are not so bad but a lot of folks now go before or after just to avoid the worst crowds. Two weeks before or after a holiday and its no sweat (Unless an unusually lot of folks decide to show up just cause they did)

If the sands been dry its smooth of course but if its been raining in the last couple days before you get there on a busy weekend it gets pretty rough with ruts in many spots. Another GREAT reason to go on less busy weekends. Or to get there say Tuesday or Wednesday. The dunes have time to smooth out.

This below is worse case. If you go on a non holiday weekend you should have no real issues getting in the parking lot WITH your trailer

Here's a link to a nice Silver Lake cite.

http://www.silverlakeforum.com/

This link shows the dune are and parking lot in a decent drawn pic.

http://www.silverlakeforum.com/index.php/topic,2888.0.html

The nearest campsite to the parking lot area is a about two miles. You have to go thru the parking lot area to get to the dunes too (see second link above). There ARE poeple who drive paddle tired vehicles from thier campsites to the dunes ON the paddle.

(Heck you wiill even see the occasional fool doing paddle tire burnouts on the asphalt with HUGE paddles! Usually jeeps and trucks. $$$$ crazy) 

As long as your not driving like a Hooligan the cops will not bug yah with the non street tires.

Many buggy guys run the desert tracks as they work well in the sand but have the smoother center rings for the short road trips.

The rail SHOULD be street legal! Many are not and get away with it but many get tickets.

Towing IS allowed but on the street no straps. It MUST be a solid connection like a hitch towbar or specially built for the rail bar. (There are some folks around here who have some really creative towing bars and setups that keep the $$$ paddles off the ground yet allow them to get in on the busy weekends easier).

People also ride in the towed buggies. Some days some cops let this slide. Others they do not. 

But as mention if Doug sets it up on a non Holiday time you will be able to get in the dunes parking lot with little to no delays.

Some people like parking in the far South east corner of the duens as its a short walk out to the stores. DAR (David Allen Racing) and Appletree, and The Chassis Shop.

Others like the far South west corner as its near the Flush toilets. The other South East corner is in ground vault toilets.

If you got a rig with a toilet you will be envied!   

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2009, 10:29:21 AM »
Sounds like a cluster fook. How many acres are usable for full size buggies?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 10:31:17 AM by Masterfabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2009, 10:32:24 AM »
I don't see any map with the second link.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2009, 10:40:56 AM »
I dunno 3 or 4 acres...........  ;D

The map is the first post in the second link. Its a Jpg. Img.

On the holiday weekends its a cluster fook indeed.

BUT those ARE the best weekends to see a fool in a full size blazer or extended cab pickup bouncing literally three to four feet in the air over the moguls at the base of test hill doing 50 mph!!!!

I have seen quads and dirt bikes fly up when the straps break or let loose and get SLAMMED into the truck bed bottom then bounced out.

Yep! They try this with quads and bikes in the back. It makes it worth the trouble getting in when really stupid ones are out there. 

They get a big run at the hill only to realize toooooo late they are in a section best reserved for long travel buggies!  Hilareeeeeeous!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2009, 01:31:43 PM »
Do you have to be a member to see pics there? Nothing shows up .
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal