Author Topic: Bending - Barracuda  (Read 1784 times)

Offline cleppla

• Fabricator
Bending - Barracuda
« on: May 21, 2009, 06:46:39 PM »
I took my tubing to my machinist.  After looking at the plans to bend it he asked if I could convert the degree's to radius's?.   Anyone might know what he was getting at?     I have never bend tubing and I am hoping someone here who has bent the frame might know.

Also what radius dies are used to bend the tubing? He has 4/4.5 radius.

Any tips for bending?

Thanks.
Chris
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 06:53:39 PM by cleppla »

Rick S.

Re: Bending - Barracuda
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 07:03:44 PM »
The 4" radius would be closest to what's specified in the plans.
He probably wants to know how many degrees each bend is.
For some reason the Barracuda plans show the end result angle, instead of the angle that you are actually bending.
Just subtract the angles shown on the drawings from 180 to get the actual degrees of each bend. But if he is a machinist I'd think that he would know this.

Offline cleppla

• Fabricator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 07:11:09 PM »
Yeah, He is not the one really bending it. He has people working for him. He also had me convert all the metric to inches.  He said his guys would shit if they saw it.  LOL    I guess less confussing is what we are really after.  I wish Edge would just make a US set of plans.

Thanks for the info

Chris

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 09:11:53 PM »
In their defence the materials would need to change as well. Most of the world uses metric and even as a machinist I have to convert prints quite often right here in the U.S. I even get prints written completly in German and I have to refrence a thick book to find out what some tolerances and call outs even mean.

The thickness of plates change as well and this effects some machine work and spacers to be made. This is Somthing that Tony is not intrested in or has the time for. Just my 2 cents.

I redrew everything in CAD using imperial hardware and materials. Most even superior to what the plans call for.

Offline cleppla

• Fabricator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 10:30:16 PM »
Good point.   I am not a machinist and never really had to deal with stuff like that from outside of the US.  Thanks for bringing that to light.

Chris

Offline Simon

• Fabricator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 02:35:17 AM »
He didn't mean converting the measurments from degrees into radians did he? I don't know why you would want to do it, but if that is the case, multiply the measurments (in degrees) by PI/180 to convert to radians.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal