Author Topic: my trailing arms  (Read 1864 times)

455bird

my trailing arms
« on: May 18, 2009, 05:32:43 PM »
Do you think this will work or do i need to add some more beef up. They are 1 1/4 x 120 wall

Admin

Re: my trailing arms
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:03:53 PM »
How about posting up some more pics of that Honda trans in there... Im not to sure about the t arms...

455bird

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 08:42:01 PM »

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 08:54:49 PM »
What the........

You've been holding out on us.......

LOOKS GOOD!!

My vote is that those Yoshi-esk trailing arms will hold up much better than that tranny.  ;D

I hope I am wrong, but I can't wait to hear how it works for you.

Do you plan to keep Busa shifting, or leave the busa in gear and shift the honda?

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 09:21:23 PM »
After staring at your trailing arms for a while, I only see one potential problem.  They are probably fine but if something were to be a problem I think that it would be this.

The forward drive of the tire is trying to twist the bearing housing out and forward because the tire is hanging outside of the arm and it has leverage.  The cross brace you put in will prevent it from bending from where it connects to the two inner tubes back.  The outer tubes don't have any side to side support from where the top and bottom plating ends  If they were going to bend, they would do it right in front of where the plating ends.  If the inner tubes were to bend they would do it right where the cross brace lands.  Because the heims don't do anything to keep it in line, it could parralelogram at the two bend points and the heims.  1-1/4 x .120 probably won't be a problem.  Red line is where I would suggest adding a tube if you think there is merit.  Hopefully more experienced people will weigh in.

455bird

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 10:53:22 PM »

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 11:06:10 PM »
I am just happy to see that you almost have it together, and that we will know something one way or the other soon.  I know there are quite a few people wanting to do it, but are on the fence waiting to see if more people have success with it.

I was doing a double take trying to figure out what it was, then Bug piped up.   ;D

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 11:07:52 PM by Engineer »

boltz2012

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 11:36:53 PM »
I hope it works out for you to as i am doing the same thing. I will tell you ahead of time that you are gonna cook the chain being that short.better to move it back as one unit now while building the arms than to have to do it later. AH even had problems with the chain getting hot. Although he claims to have fixxed it with a 4" bilge fan off a boat. Just keep an eye on that area. I wish you the best of luck as you are doing yours considerably different than me. All the same it will either work or wont work.

SPEC

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 06:22:34 AM »
I'm with E-farmer on the added bar on the trailing arm...
I wondered why you had been so quiet 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal