Author Topic: One of my favorite toys  (Read 3246 times)

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
One of my favorite toys
« on: May 17, 2009, 10:02:38 AM »
I built this atv a few years ago. It started life as a Yamaha Blaster from the junkyard. I widened a arms,installed Banshee axle, lengthened swingarm so my son could ride it in the woods. The motor went away, so we bought him another Blaster. I started looking for a good reliable motor. I wanted more power[imagine that]. I found a Honda CR500 dirt bike on e-bay. I shoehorned the motor into the frame. I cut out 3 tubes and installed 4 new ones. The stock pipe fits with no cutting or bending. I did move the rear fender and airbox. I built several kick starters. It ain't purty but it is fast.  Tim
In the words of my father "Never give up too soon, you might miss a good piece."

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
Re: One of my favorite toys
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 11:53:21 AM »
your spindles are upsidedown......
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Admin

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 12:30:45 PM »
your spindles are upsidedown......

WTF are you talking about, The spindles look right to me, if they were upside down they would be front steer, Now the upper a arms may be on upside down but thats all i see...

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 02:42:51 PM »
Maybe it's that I used VW van tie rod ends for balljoints that is throwing you off. The upper arms are changed to get 12 degree caster. The lower arms balljoint mount was moved forward. It works real well. Tim
In the words of my father "Never give up too soon, you might miss a good piece."

Admin

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
Looks fine to me, figured there was a reason they were on like that, Voodoo speaks before he asks 99.9% of the time...

SPEC

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 07:28:07 PM »
Why would you go thru all that work.. only to go up to a CR500 motor?

artie on edge

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 07:59:27 PM »
Why would you go thru all that work.. only to go up to a CR500 motor?

and you would recommend a 1300 gixxer perhaps?

that I would like to see.... Cr was quite  ahndy engine though... but missing a few important parts....

Camshaft, valves, oil ring (common fault see prev thread).......  :P

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 08:29:48 PM »
and you would recommend a 1300 gixxer perhaps?that would be too much

that I would like to see.... Cr was quite  ahndy engine though... but missing a few important parts....

Camshaft, valves, oil ring (common fault see prev thread).......  :P
Yep.  I got that right with mine.  Kept it in the family with an SR500. ;DWe are talking about a light weight quad here.  One where it is possible for the pilot to weigh more than the machine in some cases.
This post has been edited due to content.

artie on edge

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 08:37:28 PM »
Yep.  I got that right with mine.  Kept it in the family with an SR500. ;DWe are talking about a light weight quad here.  One where it is possible for the pilot to weigh more than the machine in some cases.

Laughing my arse off... DEFINATELY in my case!  ;D

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 10:58:33 PM »
every 4wheeler spindle i have seen has the steering arm real close to the bottom arm... leading me to believe they were upside down..... SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 03:51:41 PM »
Artie, I wanted a simple light motor. This quad weighs 370lbs ready to ride. You will like the next quad I will build [LTZ400 frame with 550 suzuki motor]  Voodoo, That's alright . I sometimes do some weird sh$t, but somehow it seems to work. Just send us some more eye candy and  I will forgive you. lol  Tim

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 03:58:10 PM »
Spec, I know it is only 56hp stock and will only run about 90mph , but I ride in tight woods so it does ok. If you look close you can see one side of the bumper is bent from taking an inch of bark off  a 12" pine tree. ::)Tim

e-atv-racing

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 10:03:25 AM »
The biggest problem with a CR500 motor in a Quad frame is vibration. The CR500 is not a counter balanced motor. This seems to work fine in a bike, but tends to vibrate to much in a quad frame. Keep an eye out for cracks in the frame.

I have put bike a motor in blaster frame, but much smaller, cr85 motor. The frame did crack and I had to make repairs. So just keep that in mind.

I have another blaster that I can't seem to sell, so I have been thinking about putting a older WR250 (2 stroke) motor in it. The WR200 would be a better choice as it uses the same bottom end as the blaster, just liquid cooled and power valved.

Anyway, good luck with you blaster and enjoy.

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 03:56:23 PM »
Yes it has cracked. I think it is caused by lack of bracing under motor. I had to take out some triangulation there. I am putting another frame together with proper bracing. Thanks for comments, I wanted to use wr250 motor, but couldn't find one. Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal