Author Topic: Tubing prices  (Read 5263 times)

Offline jsbm

• VIP
Tubing prices
« on: May 10, 2009, 08:53:29 AM »
I know prices are different around the country, I'm just curious what everyone else is paying?

I'm in FL about 40 miles north of Tampa. I have contacted all the suppliers I could find with in 75 miles of my location and only found one that carries dom and that was Applied Racing Technology which is a drag car parts supplier not a steel yard. So that makes me think I should be able to find it cheaper if I could find a steel supplier that carries it. Whats really funny to me is that most of them did not even know what dom is.

I am looking for 1.25" and 1" dom .095 wall. The only place I could find has the 1", but only 1.25x.120 and both are $4 a foot.

Thanks, Jeff

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
Re: Tubing prices
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 09:23:04 AM »
the average around here is 3.50$ a foot......  1$ a foot for pst.
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 10:04:04 AM »
WOW! I paid $4.05 a foot for 1-1/2 .095 chromoly about 6 months ago
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline jsbm

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 10:22:11 AM »
$4.95 a foot for 1.25x.095 chromoly and $2.25 for 1.25x.120 hrew, all at ART. Even hrew and crew are hard to find around here most places only have pipe.

Admin

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 02:58:51 PM »
Check with your local fastenal, they may beat that ungodly price, but they are expensive... With the current market price on steel, id expect to see 3.50-4.00 per ft across the country right now... My local steel yard has it if you wanna drive 6 hrs... :)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 03:31:13 PM »
4$ a foot, for an average of 220ft....... $880.... ungodly???  pfffftt... lol

Offline jsbm

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 03:58:23 PM »
I'll check fastenal tomorrow there is one about 20min. from the house. ART is about 2-2.5 hours away, sad thing is its only about 60 miles but with about a 100 lights.

Offline cleppla

• Fabricator
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 05:14:03 PM »
From what I understand steel prices should be coming down as the bottom for scrap steel has fallen out.  I went to my local steel supplier about 2-3 weeks ago. I was quoted 1.25" .095 for $2.20 a foot and 1" .095 $2.50 a foot.    I had even got quotes for Crmoly for around the same price (cheaper).   I am going to try to call a few other sources tomorrow,if I can wake up early enough.

Chris

I know prices are different around the country, I'm just curious what everyone else is paying?

I'm in FL about 40 miles north of Tampa. I have contacted all the suppliers I could find with in 75 miles of my location and only found one that carries dom and that was Applied Racing Technology which is a drag car parts supplier not a steel yard. So that makes me think I should be able to find it cheaper if I could find a steel supplier that carries it. Whats really funny to me is that most of them did not even know what dom is.

I am looking for 1.25" and 1" dom .095 wall. The only place I could find has the 1", but only 1.25x.120 and both are $4 a foot.

Thanks, Jeff

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 09:16:37 PM »
Yep steel has been droping pretty well.  It's about 1/2 price of what it was last summer.  It's a good idea to shop around because places that bought it high retain that high price until they move the inventory.

SPEC

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 09:20:57 PM »
I'll get a quote tomarro what it is here...

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 09:36:23 PM »
for either 1" or 1.25" O.D .095 wall DOM its an average of $1.80 / ft. if I buy 20 sticks. Each stick is 20'. Thats my cost buying in bulk delivered through my work/ Just had it quoted last week so the prices are up to date.

I do not re sell tubing unless it is a small amount to a customer already buying other components.

Offline jsbm

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 03:22:03 PM »
Called fastenal, guess what he didn't know what DOM was. I had to explain to him what it was. It is on there web site, not the exact sizes but still there, he will call tomorrow after he does some homework to give me prices. Not just bitchn about them but steel suppliers in general in my area. Out of all the places I called (9or10) I had to tell them dom stood for DRAWN OVER MANDREL or seamless and only one knew what I was talking about when I said seamless. That's how I got hooked up with ART. Has any one else ran into this problem.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 04:28:22 PM »
Called fastenal, guess what he didn't know what DOM was. I had to explain to him what it was. It is on there web site, not the exact sizes but still there, he will call tomorrow after he does some homework to give me prices. Not just bitchn about them but steel suppliers in general in my area. Out of all the places I called (9or10) I had to tell them dom stood for DRAWN OVER MANDREL or seamless and only one knew what I was talking about when I said seamless. That's how I got hooked up with ART. Has any one else ran into this problem.

People not knowing what DOM is?  YES!

Actually DOM is not seamless.  I like to think I have a knowledgeable supplier.......  Of the 10 salesmen there I only talk to one.....  to her!  I got a quote on some tubing recently.  She quoted it three ways.  HREW, DOM, and Seamless.

HREW Hot Rolled Electric Weld.  You can see the seam on the outside, and likely see and feel it on the inside.  Depending on the run of tube I have seen it from no rough seam to a seam almost .1 tall on the inside.

DOM This is HREW that has been run though a die / over a mandrel to bring the tolerances down very close.  The inside and outside are smooth with no apparent seam, and the tolerances of the ID, OD, and Wall thickness are very close.

Seamless  Seamless tubing is extruded with no seam, then run through basically the same process as DOM to bring the ID and OD to size.

Just my $.02, and what I was told by someone I trust.

Here is a site I googled that seems to agree.

http://www.xxxoffroad.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49:whats-in-a-name-dom-erw-hrew&catid=31:general&Itemid=46
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 04:29:54 PM by Engineer »

Admin

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 05:13:16 PM »
Generally DOM starts at a higher grade of material than Hrew to begin its process.. hrew generally is 1010 were dom is generally 1020 diameter play a big factor in this as well..

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 10:23:27 PM »
bushing stock is even worse... 21$ a ft was the cheapest i found.. for 3/4 id and 1" od

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal