Author Topic: longer rack arms ?  (Read 1555 times)

Bug

longer rack arms ?
« on: May 03, 2009, 01:54:58 AM »
Hey all,
The steering rack I have been looking at is listed at 14 inches from center to center on the eyes.  I need somewhere between 18 and 19 inches center to center.  I've seen mention in here of making or buying extenders to widen my rack to the width I need. Is this something I can buy from somewhere like Dan's or do I need to get with someone in here to have them made special and if so do I need to purchase a specific rack ?

And besides all that, is there a specific brand, type or favorite rack for off road or woods use that I should be looking for ?
And last but not least, I know Edge racks are suppose to be quick with a short throw,  do those steering quickener thingee's really work well without getting all sloppy - as in -  are they worth a hundred bucks or so ?  Thanks,  8)

If I'm missing something on the steering, feel free to start yellin ;D

artie on edge

Re: longer rack arms ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 02:36:21 AM »
wow.. ahm... racks are made in all sorts of sizes... naturally you need to find the one that is closest to your needs. The Edge rack is very narrow so no where near what you need and yes it is very quick (2/3 rds of a turn lock to lock). Rack extenders are no problem if you cant find a rack near the width you need. Talk to Ricks about this (DTSfab), Im sure he will have plenty off sensible ideas and is a whizz with the technical side of this stuff as well.

Have a chat to bug re quickeners, he sells em so he will be able to give you the good oil, so to speak...

As for brands, well mate you will find that all these things (almost) that are for sale originated in  lands far afield. (somehow china springs to mind). How else could you buy a unit this complex for less than $100? (or not much over...). 10 years ago these things were $300 each.

Sounds like you ar looking for an end load rack, I wouldnt be too fussed about the brand though... good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers

SPEC

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 06:36:13 AM »
Mumbler turned mine,
I'll get some pix...they have worked great

Admin

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 06:40:41 AM »
you definitely do not want the 89.00 14" rack... Them thins are like sardine cans, they make a much beefer one for a bit more money, adjustable to like 16 5/8...

Garbage=

Much Nicer=

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 07:08:14 AM »
I agree.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Bug

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 11:40:01 PM »
Looks fairly easy to modify the better one to my needed length. Spec, unless you got some nifty photo's, looks like home made extensions should be pretty easy to come up with. But I'm game to see some real purdy ones at a fair cost ?   :P

( I figured up to 300-400 bucks for steering stuff so the better one is a for sure bet ! )  saving money but unable to dodge a tree wouldn't make sense now would it ?  lol    Thanks guys   8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal