Author Topic: need springs  (Read 3377 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
Re: need springs
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 10:27:48 AM »
not half assing anything.. the damn springs are not strong enough. why cant i get ones that are?  my mounting holes are only about an inch in further than the originals.. but whatever..  should just delete this thread since its worthless...
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Admin

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 10:35:03 AM »
You are using a component no were intended for the weight, I did not mean to be rude, You will pull out your hair indeed, you are much better off to remount the shock, the more spring you put to it, the more stress on the shock cups etc... I know its frustraiting, been there and done that... Sometime stepping over a dollar to get a quarter just is not worth it, springs are about 50.00 bux each, probbaly cheaper to rebuild the mounts...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 12:59:10 PM »
You CAN get springs that will be stiff enough. NOBODY said you couldn't. We're just saying that you are making a mistake in doing it tho. The loads put on the suspension components will be MUCH higher and things will break.The springs will be MUCH stiffer not just a bit stiffer. I'm also not intending to be rude but when you ask for info from those that have been where you're at and you chose to not accept their advice it gets a bit aggravating.We're just trying to HELP you avoid unnecessary frustration.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 11:27:02 PM »
i know what your saying. im an arguer for the most part.  i got pissed that im broke and the mount location was bullshit.. so i spent about an hour cutting and grinding my old mounts off and completely smoothed out the mouting surface.. once the remnants of the old mounts were air hammered off i have more room to mount the shocks back.. i moved them back to within 3/16" of the top ball joint.

so im eating my words and saying you guys did give the best advice!!!!!  now the buggy has a perfect feel to it..  12 inch ground clearance at the front. and drops to about 6-8" when two peopel sit in it..  i also moved the bottom rear shock mount out to the end of the arm.. way stiffer now.. i can now stand on the side of the buggy and it doesnt about tip over..  thanks for pissing me off enough to get the job done..   ;D :laugh:
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 05:45:19 AM »
There you go!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Adnoh

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 07:51:53 PM »
http://www.bluecoilspring.com/ Link to spring rates. you can calculate the rate. It look like a linerar rate spring so should be straight forward. thats to say if its a 100 lb rate it would take 100 pouns to compress it one inch and 200 lbs to compress it 2" inches so on and so on I think what they were leading to is the wheel rate. If you move the spring toward to wheel it changes the rate. Sometimes a change in weel rate is more effecitve than changeing the spring rate. It like changing the spring rate. If it's cota be there you would need to use a calculater to find a recomended rate based on you set up. I think FOA has one you can enter arm data and shock location and get recomended rate. Sound like your rate now has a 90% droop. Don't get mad get it done.

Adnoh

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 07:54:11 PM »
http://www.f-o-a.com/calculator.html. FOA's link and how to use. good place to start

Adnoh

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 08:05:18 PM »
Heres an example on how the foa works.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal