Author Topic: Belly pans  (Read 5777 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Belly pans
« on: April 14, 2009, 07:36:32 AM »
For a mid/full size buggy.Would you prefer an aluminum bolted on belly pan or a welded steel belly pan? If aluminum ,how thick.If steel ,how thick?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: Belly pans
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:54:06 AM »
For a mid/full size buggy.Would you prefer an aluminum bolted on belly pan or a welded steel belly pan? If aluminum ,how thick.If steel ,how thick?

Well!!!!!!!!! Aluminum bolt on of coarse. Better to get to stuff when you need to. Big difference in weight to.  .190 aluminum verses .125 steel. Less you use expanded metal of some kind. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

SPEC

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 08:03:17 AM »
16 Ga. steel for me rolled around the chassis so no snags, For you sand guys I think aluminum would be fine...You guys don't have to worry about rock and stick/stump enima's like us woods guys do ;D

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 08:06:09 AM »
16 Ga. steel for me rolled around the chassis so no snags, For you sand guys I think aluminum would be fine...You guys don't have to worry about rock and stick/stump enima's like us woods guys do ;D

Take some kind of rock or stick to penetrate .190 7075 T656 Al. Mite step out back and put a 45ACP into a piece and find out just how good it is. ;D ;D ;D

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 08:13:30 AM »
Now you've done it.  I can see the gun control debate spilling over into this thread now.  The folks from down under will just have to take your word for it. ;D
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 08:16:04 AM »
Now you've done it.  I can see the gun control debate spilling over into this thread now.  The folks from down under will just have to take your word for it. ;D

O-sheet :o :o :o

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 08:19:43 AM »
Those poor ozzies that don't even have a slingshot can't do that kind of testing.LOL!!!!

I was/am considering welding in a steel pan of 1/8" with ample cutouts for sand escape/lightening while adding strength to the chassis. I agree with the easy removal for possible repairs. But on the other hand I have never had to remove a pan. Sure as hell I'll weld in one and have to remove it tho!LOL!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SPEC

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 08:30:28 AM »
Take some kind of rock or stick to penetrate .190 7075 T656 Al. Mite step out back and put a 45ACP into a piece and find out just how good it is. ;D ;D ;D

I got rocks and shit up here that leave you walking back to the truck...These fookers are trained attack rocks...just looking for some poor fool not paying attention...I mangled the axle,smashed off the starter,and put a scratch on the bellypan...too b ad I left the skidplate at home...
I rivit mine on...so a few minutes with a 1/8" drill bit on the air drill and it's off

artie on edge

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 11:38:09 AM »

and I do....

trojan

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 12:18:15 PM »
4-5mm ali. I've abused it like brother Spec ;) I've got chequerplate but I think it's passe. I'm using 5mm plain with skateboard grip patches on my current build, looks much nicer ;)
Everything comes lose, tek screws, rivets, nut-serts. I'm going with tabs, countersunks bolts and nylocs this time.
I've found tek screws surprising effective. they can be re-tightened easily and when they inevitably eat the hole out from abuse you replace it with a bigger one - good as new.

Admin

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 12:32:27 PM »
A steel pan will look exceptionally shitty after paint as well, and a bit of abuse, If your gonna use steel IMO may as well do like yoshi and use expanded... Sorry yoshi, Cheapest looking part of your car IMO... ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 12:56:35 PM »
Ever hear of powdercoat?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 12:57:14 PM »
You know ,the stuff that the frame it is welded to will have on it.  ;D ;D ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
Sorry,bug, you left yourself open for that one. ;D ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

trojan

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 01:09:05 PM »
He he... powdercoat is tough, but it's not perfect. Ali has it's own "self healing" finish ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal