Author Topic: lightweight rock crawler and Hydraulic drive options  (Read 57183 times)

Offline Baloo

Re: lightweight rock crawler
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 12:34:23 PM »

Alain from Drakart was thinking the same as you. He put them in his Drak Extreme. Didn't really catch on, though.

dont supose you have any pics anywhere of these buggys with the 3 cylinder suzuki engine fitted ?
l have to find an engine and box for my tripple e buggy and was wondering if this might be an option

Offline Baloo

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 12:41:01 PM »
 few more pics for you

odypilots

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 03:24:53 PM »
dont supose you have any pics anywhere of these buggys with the 3 cylinder suzuki engine fitted ?
l have to find an engine and box for my tripple e buggy and was wondering if this might be an option

No, I don't. Sorry. :(

SPEC

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 03:33:52 PM »
Ya Baloo,
It certainly won't win many drag races...But is a spunky little motor...Specinator, drivers hers 130 miles a day at 80 -85 MPH for the last 100,000 miles of it's life ;D...Just keep it cool and the oil clean...Ithink you wouldn't be disappointed ;)

Offline Baloo

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 04:23:42 PM »

cheers odypilots and spec

heres a few more for you

SPEC

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 05:18:14 AM »
Thanks Baloo...
You da man...Wanna tell your buddy I said great build ;D

Offline Baloo

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 12:05:14 PM »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 02:29:58 PM »
That is one of the coolest projects I've seen in a long time.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SPEC

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 02:55:30 PM »
I'm diggin it ;D

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 03:45:35 PM »
very cool.
For the new design, why not loose all the joints, chains, and sprockets and go with hydraulic wheel motors?  My zero turn lawnmower has two wheel motors and it will pull about 1500lbs and the mower weighs 600+ lbs.  It could be done with an industrial motor or a geared down sled engine to pump and then hoses to the wheels.  Top speed would be limited to 8mph-15mph,  but I didn't think rock crawlers needed to go too fast.  wheel articulation would be almost unlimited.  Could possibly make it crab too.  I'm sure that would come in handy.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 04:06:22 PM »
very cool.
For the new design, why not loose all the joints, chains, and sprockets and go with hydraulic wheel motors?  My zero turn lawnmower has two wheel motors and it will pull about 1500lbs and the mower weighs 600+ lbs.  It could be done with an industrial motor or a geared down sled engine to pump and then hoses to the wheels.  Top speed would be limited to 8mph-15mph,  but I didn't think rock crawlers needed to go too fast.  wheel articulation would be almost unlimited.  Could possibly make it crab too.  I'm sure that would come in handy.

l think l covered hydraulic drive 2 years ago with this post,  this will give you some thing to read
                               http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=10868&highlight=

l still fancy biulding a hydraulic crawler, l have a honda motor with hyd pump and 4 motors  ::)

SPEC

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 04:14:35 PM »
mmmmmmMMMMMMM
hydrostatic drives
I think I might have some parts like that

Offline Baloo

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 04:23:12 PM »

l think boostinjdm is right, hydraulic drive could be the way forward, best start choppin up your yellow thing to rob the bits off Spec
dosent look like you use it often anyway ;D 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 04:29:09 PM by Baloo »

SPEC

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 04:26:35 PM »
That's my skidder ;D
Fooker is HUGE But 100% hydraulic drives and steering...Tires about 60''tall and 30'' wide...I been knocking around the idea of using it for parts for some time now...Haven't driven it in 2 -3 years...

Offline Baloo

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 04:30:37 PM »
That's my skidder ;D
Fooker is HUGE But 100% hydraulic drives and steering...Tires about 60''tall and 30'' wide...I been knocking around the idea of using it for parts for some time now...Haven't driven it in 2 -3 years...

l see an axle at the back, is there a hydraulic motor driving the pinon flange then ?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal