Author Topic: Summer Upgrades  (Read 27989 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: Summer Upgrades
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2017, 08:21:34 PM »
Done.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2017, 07:38:57 AM »
Perfect. Thank you!
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2017, 07:51:09 AM »
really like what you've done with the rail......so out of curiosity what did the turbo and bov cost? and how close to the comp housing did you mount the bov? does it have a removable outlet so you an screw a fitting in to recirc back into the air cleaner inlet tube if you wanted to?
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2017, 10:32:57 AM »
the reason i ask..........after talking to ian at turbo lab about which turbo i am looking for and what i want it to do and camparisons to the borg warner efr series. the efr has a built in bov and  waste gate. so after buying a turbo then waste gate and good bov your not far off. now we were talking about the bov being a recirc rather than atmosphere. now when i say this ....prob miliseconds or seconds but......ian says placing the bov as close to the comp housing is the best way to go. he says if you place it at the throttle body then the bov dumps the system. if you place it at the comp housing outlet then it dump the pressure right there rather than the whole system but still drops the pressure that would have an effect on the butterfly plate. this discussion was based on my statement of on and off boost repeatedly as opposed to on the strip racing, in comparing diff turbos. ian is a nice guy and takes the time to discuss such things with customers, not to many do anymore.

the efr has the bov built in to the comp housing to recirc for the fastest re spool response and that is why i asked. i know some will post there opinions on this and i would like to read them as it does make sense but tried and true is always better than speculation. i have found several bov's that the horn un threads and one could recirc that back into the inlet stream on the air cleaner side.   thoughts anyone?????????????

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2017, 01:23:35 PM »
Here is one of the pulls

Sounds VERY healthy.  I like it! 

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2017, 07:23:10 PM »
really like what you've done with the rail......so out of curiosity what did the turbo and bov cost? and how close to the comp housing did you mount the bov? does it have a removable outlet so you an screw a fitting in to recirc back into the air cleaner inlet tube if you wanted to?
The turbo was $780 and the bov was $250. I did not mount it to the intercooler yet since i did not have enough time before this trip. It will be mounted on the intercooler tank on the throttle body side. It has a nipple that i will be putting a filter on.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2017, 07:26:03 PM »
Took the car out in the dunes today. Car is a whole new machine. I was pulling way harder than i ever have and going way faster than ever. Had a great day till i blew 3rd gear on the mendeola at the sand drags.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2017, 09:22:28 PM »
was that a fresh trans? glad to hear it is meeting your expectations and sounds like it's running very well but not good on 3 rd gear that always sucks

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2017, 09:42:01 PM »
was that a fresh trans? glad to hear it is meeting your expectations and sounds like it's running very well but not good on 3 rd gear that always sucks
Fresh out of the trans shop

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2017, 06:18:20 AM »
Well,I'd be soooooo happy about how it ran but any idea why it let go?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2017, 08:53:16 AM »
Well,I'd be soooooo happy about how it ran but any idea why it let go?
Im very happy with the motor. Not sure on the trans problem. It either was already fatigued by my buddy or maybe when i shifted to 3rd the motor was still on the turbo. I put it in 3rd and as soon as i released the clutch it made a bad grinding sound and kicked out of 3rd. I was not babying it either. 5:

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2017, 12:01:01 PM »
Well,as we know,stuff happens. Good to hear the motor is making you happy! Just curious,did the trans shop mag the gears and such while it was down?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2017, 02:45:29 PM »
Well,as we know,stuff happens. Good to hear the motor is making you happy! Just curious,did the trans shop mag the gears and such while it was down?
My good buddy had it rebuilt before he sold it to me and said everything was magged.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2017, 09:02:30 AM »
I got an update from the trans shop and it was a bad shift fork. Hope to get it back next week and get everything back together for a trip at the end of the month

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2017, 09:46:12 AM »
the reason i ask..........after talking to ian at turbo lab about which turbo i am looking for and what i want it to do and camparisons to the borg warner efr series. the efr has a built in bov and  waste gate. so after buying a turbo then waste gate and good bov your not far off. now we were talking about the bov being a recirc rather than atmosphere. now when i say this ....prob miliseconds or seconds but......ian says placing the bov as close to the comp housing is the best way to go. he says if you place it at the throttle body then the bov dumps the system. if you place it at the comp housing outlet then it dump the pressure right there rather than the whole system but still drops the pressure that would have an effect on the butterfly plate. this discussion was based on my statement of on and off boost repeatedly as opposed to on the strip racing, in comparing diff turbos. ian is a nice guy and takes the time to discuss such things with customers, not to many do anymore.

the efr has the bov built in to the comp housing to recirc for the fastest re spool response and that is why i asked. i know some will post there opinions on this and i would like to read them as it does make sense but tried and true is always better than speculation. i have found several bov's that the horn un threads and one could recirc that back into the inlet stream on the air cleaner side.   thoughts anyone? ??? ??? ??? ???
I also got my BOV mounted while the intercooler was off the car.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal