Author Topic: ECU wiring  (Read 3654 times)

Offline BrianN

ECU wiring
« on: March 01, 2020, 05:26:02 PM »
I am getting close to wiring (attempting) my buggy for new engine  management.  Do you guys suggest any kind of connections, shrink tubing, wire loom? I want the cleanest connections possible.  Anything better than just solder and shrink tubing? I refuse to use that frickin' plastic, split, corrugated loom anymore. Hoping to find some type of mesh or fabric loom. No luck yet. I am sure there is a company out there that specializes in automotive wiring.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: ECU wiring
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 06:46:27 AM »
fabr actually has a place he gets some of the best connectors from. he listed them in a post sometime back but cannot remember. i'm sure he'll reply soon.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 06:47:34 AM »
Del City has several loom options

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 08:34:52 AM »
thats a good place budlight.

i went heat shrink and solder myself. i know that a quality crimp with heat shrink is better, for a couple reasons . i agree on the plastic corrigated loom. its cheap , its crap but its cheap and readily available lol

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 09:54:07 AM »
Del City is the place I buy from. Fair pricing and always in stock.

Del City  https://www.delcity.net/ 

I use the Duetsch compatible connectors   https://www.delcity.net/store/AT-Series-Plugs/p_808421  I prefer the solid barrel pins/sockets as they are much easier to crimp. Open barrel are cheaper but somewhat a PITA ass.I do use both though. Buy the correct crimper!!

I use cross link GXL wiring. They also offer it in lighter TXL and heavier SXL insulation but I find the mid weight GXL insulation the best for our use.

Del City has all the wiring and accessories you need to do a top quality wiring job that will not cause issues.

I buy 100 foot spools of non adhesive lined heat shrink tube in several sizes for my loom. I buy it from Fastenal. Not the cheapest but high quality. I absolutely hate split loom and honestly,all loom is just a pita.  The heat shrink is much neater. Plan your wiring out well first though.

Since It is hard to find uninsulated terminals I buy the insulated ones,heat slightly with a small butane torch and the plastic insulation slips right off. I then use adhasive lined heat shrink to act as a strain relief . Works rathe nicely,IMO.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 10:11:56 AM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 01:28:49 PM »
Good advice fabr.

Del City also has clear heat shrink, which works great for applying over labels for what each wire goes to. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 03:13:00 PM »
Good advice fabr.

Del City also has clear heat shrink, which works great for applying over labels for what each wire goes to.
Just be sure to use adhesive lined clear for that. Works great. I bought a DYMO wire/cable label maker.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 03:16:44 PM »
thats a good place budlight.

i went heat shrink and solder myself. i know that a quality crimp with heat shrink is better, for a couple reasons . i agree on the plastic corrigated loom. its cheap , its crap but its cheap and readily available lol
I'll never do solder again,too slow and not as reliable over time.Must use high quality crimp terminals though. That means ,usually,no parts store crap.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BrianN

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 06:09:39 PM »
Thanks for the info. I didn't  realize that there were respectable crimp style connectors. I do the same with the plastic covered spades and rings as far as removing the plastic, but I still solder the connections and use shrink tube. I just don't  care for the bulge that crimp connectors leave. I did get heavy adhesive lined shrink tube and several sizes of expandable loom. I like the idea of using the shrink tube for loom in some cases, and am definitely going to look into the clear shrink tubing.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 07:29:26 PM »
Proper size terminals that fit the wire being used leave almost zero bulge. Before you solder ,do a bit of research and I'll bet you change your ways like I did. I was a die hard,solder is the ONLY way to do it right guy once upon a time.For starters,have you seen any solder connections on aircraft? There is a reason you don't.  The case against solder connections is just too much to continue doing so,IMO.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:53:55 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BrianN

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 08:40:04 PM »
The Del City site is exactly what I was thinking of. 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 01:01:46 PM »
update??  ;D ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal