Author Topic: Carl's new Build  (Read 88965 times)

trans man

Re: Carl's new Build
« Reply #165 on: September 16, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
It runs!  It runs!  It runs!
Glad to hear. Now get done in time for the trip! 8) 8) 8)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #166 on: September 17, 2012, 01:29:49 PM »
Gas pedal, cluch slave cylinder, intake boots, brake caliper, pads, fan temp switch, wheel adapters(paddles) all shipped today.  See I should have 2-3 days before trip.  rofl drowning rofl
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #167 on: September 17, 2012, 06:47:39 PM »
Congrats on bringing it to life!

I have heard that another build has fired off as well....  ;D  :-X

Damn, ya'll know how to take it down to the wire, don't ya!
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2012, 07:28:45 PM »
i was surprised to see those steel wheel adaptors bend like that but now after talking to transman he has seen several break and/or bend on vw's. going to have to beef those up. lol  that is and will be one hell of a motor..........nice work!
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #169 on: October 08, 2012, 06:56:39 AM »
Thanks!  It wasn't too bad considering first actual drive was down dunes access road to Dueces.  rofl drowning rofl  Driving half way across USA working for a day to take first ride is not the way to do it.

But my list of fixes, upgrades;
Brace frame under floor better for big ass feet.  rofl
Move rad up 6-8" for better cooling.  Ran a little hot after hard fast runs.
Fix cv/boot
Finish exhaust
Tune motor
Few more brace tubes in frame
Do something else for wheel adapters/wheels

Also get my butt in gear on trailer, although using it empty gave us a better idea of what we need and want.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #170 on: October 08, 2012, 07:16:01 PM »
Thanks!  It wasn't too bad considering first actual drive was down dunes access road to Dueces.  rofl drowning rofl  Driving half way across USA working for a day to take first ride is not the way to do it.

But my list of fixes, upgrades;
Brace frame under floor better for big ass feet.  rofl
Move rad up 6-8" for better cooling.  Ran a little hot after hard fast runs.
Fix cv/boot
Finish exhaust
Tune motor
Few more brace tubes in frame
Do something else for wheel adapters/wheels

Also get my butt in gear on trailer, although using it empty gave us a better idea of what we need and want.

amen to that!!!!!!    rofl
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #171 on: October 09, 2012, 05:26:14 AM »
amen to that!!!!!!    rofl
As long as you move at speed of sound its pretty quite.  LMAO  Enemy has that on video where Candice and I pulled that roller at 8K and you and wife nearly came out of seatbelts.  It should be good!! ;D

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #172 on: November 08, 2012, 06:30:32 AM »
Alright, after recovering from trip I've spent some more time shopping.  The two biggest problems I had where not enough bracing in floor which caused the alum to bounce and since the pedals (GAS) bolted to it it would cause the "death hop".  So I've got some new bracing ideas for bottom and couple additional side tubes too to weld in. 
2nd issue was Empi steel wheel adapters; Tehy make a 5x4.5 to 5x205.  Meant to put dodge/jeep wheels on wide five VW.  I had flipped them around and I must say that was a waste of $46.85 ($50 for adapter less the $3.15 I got for them at scrap yard).  So I spent the extra for some billet alum ones.  Pics soon.
Also had some cooling issue after hard runs, rad is prob too low, but I'm gonna put the shroud on 1st before I move it up.
I scored a steal on a Bazzaz FI control with auto tune.  A new used one actually for a CBR1000.  They dont make one for the 12, but tech said it dont matter what bike, if your running the tuner it will learn the map.  Bazzaz tech support has been great!  A few wires will have to cut but not a big deal.  This should really fill in some dead spots on this motor, now to finish the exhaust so I can install the O2 sensor.
And lastly, I had many thing temp mounted, switches, gauges, keyed ing, start button because I knew I was gonna try my hand at a bad ass dash/hood.  Will try to upload CAD drawings on those.

But what took me down a day early was torn cv boot.  Easy? Nope!!  N over cv boots in Waynoka.  Said they didnt sell many, but had a shit pile of the chromo boot flanges.  So I've already got the flanges to protect boots from bolts, and new boots.  Outter f150 boots from Orielly , lifetime warrenty and $15. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:28:08 AM by Carlriddle »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #173 on: November 08, 2012, 11:42:32 AM »
smokin deal on the bazzaz for sure and you'll get the rest done this winter. I can't see the attachment you added tho?

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #174 on: November 19, 2012, 07:31:32 AM »
Ok so I got the new brace tubes in floor.  Sorta hard to make out new tube from the silver paint get out your glasses.  2 tubes from cradle tubes in rear all way to front cradle.  Then 2 outside tubes come off rear cradle just in front of 3rd arm and those run to cross tube at front of seat.  Gotta few more small tubes in side of rail and want a X or Y behing seat.  Prob gonna have to make removeable to get motor out so I'm on the fence on that so far. 

last few pics are of the new alum wheel adapters for rear.  Real happy with them and should be no more problems there.

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #175 on: November 19, 2012, 07:42:27 AM »
Next part was I always knew I was gonna put a dash to hold all the switches and gauges.  Maybe music or GPS.  Had to scratch the 40" tv idea cause nothing would work with vibration.  rofl thumb down rofl  So first part was the hood; it looks like it floats out on the point at the nose.  No real stuctural benefit, just for looks.  Then dash was CAD'ed up along with the scoops from the hood.  All taken apart to lay flat and cut out of the alumilite.  This stuff is lighter than alum and quite, only a thud when hit so hopfully no ringing.  Down side is can't weld it, and bends are tricky, but I already had a plan for that and we'll have to wait for pics.  The side panels will be made from it too.  And if I get froggy I'm hoping to have center part open but I could be  drowning drowning drowning.

Offline sandycrack

« Reply #176 on: November 19, 2012, 10:07:21 AM »
Dash looks good!  I like the way you make the risers on the hood.  Really enhances the hood area.
You smell that?

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #177 on: November 19, 2012, 05:23:33 PM »
Dash looks good!  I like the way you make the risers on the hood.  Really enhances the hood area.

+1 on that! Giving the middle passenger a hump too eh? 
Looking good!
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #178 on: November 19, 2012, 05:54:16 PM »
Could go five humps?  Pretty sure can squeeze five wide.  LMAO
Few more hrs or prep and ill have something.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2012, 07:37:21 AM »
Totally think you should make the car a center steer.  You sit in the middle.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal