Author Topic: tube bender  (Read 26546 times)

Offline Baloo

tube bender
« on: November 21, 2011, 11:59:55 AM »
thinking of building a tube bender for christmas as a present to myself  eyes

plenty of examples around the net including this one http://reference.toolandfab.com/writeups/hydrobender_webpage/index.htm

would this work as an upright unit ? l was thinking it would take up less real estate when not in use if l could just push it in the corner and put a sheet over it,

same as cebby's but with the backend of the ram on the floor and the cylinder upright, would that work  ?

Andy

Offline vidio1

• Fabricator
Re: tube bender
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 02:52:31 PM »

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 03:02:15 PM »

Offline Baloo

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 10:59:55 PM »
Have you seen these?

http://www.gottrikes.com/Tube_Bender.htm

well l guess they work work in the upright position ok then, thanks for that, that is the way l am heading then

Offline Baloo

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 11:04:31 PM »
This is right up your alley...

http://www.dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=3673.msg62802#msg62802

that is cool, will keep my eye.s open for a truck ps box, l think you could make an interesting bender out of one of those,

but for now l will go with something like cebby's as l have a hydraulic ram and just aquired a powerpack of a lift ( elevator )
l have ordered a couple of dies as they seem to time consuming to make, 1 1/2"  and 1 3/4" for now
will be on it before the weekend lol
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:08:53 PM by Baloo »

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 10:00:28 AM »

Baloo     

Here are a couple threads to another forum where you might see some ideas you might like to incorporate.

OFN Bender area here at this link

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95

This link below is more of bender stands and carts and it is in the link above somewhere too.

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531&highlight=slow

One thing I HAVE to point out.

If you read all those posts at the links above you will see more than a couple guys who build them like Cebby's have bender arm issues due to the angle the hydraulic cylinder is pushing on the moving arm. (There are some who have not. But many have)

Its not applying the force as much to bend the tubing as it is to trying to shear the pivot pin.

The Cylinders as the factory hydraulic setups push near perpendicular to the arms. While benders like Cebbies are almost parrellel to the arms.

I have seen more than a few guys who have the pivot pin bind and gall and wear the pivot hole out quick. Others get the two mounting bolts that cannot hold the stationary arm solid due to the forces of the wrong angle and these move and cause uneven or non repeatable bends.

Also using a tierod cylinder its not supported in the center and this causes the weight in the center to put a large load on the bender pivot again its not supposed to see and the rest or the load on the cylinders other end. This sagging cylinder causes other issues.

There is a pretty neat soulution to this to where a guy used a type of ball bearing on a flat plate to support the weight.

If its not in that other thread I linked it near there somewhere in those other threads. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 10:03:37 AM »
I will add that if I were not so deep into my bender I would have went with a Got trikes bender too. I have seen 20 some people who have them and all seem to love them.

I would just not use air over hydraulic. I would use electric over hydraulic as I am with my current one if I ever get to finish it....

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 11:50:28 AM »
Hi  Nutz

thanks for those links l will have a read through them tonight,

l can see the angle of the ram is critical and a few degrees will make it shear the pins instead of rotating the arms, l have put a couple of hours into it today, l have set mine at more of an angle to get the arms moving easier, the plates l have borrowed of some one l will get my own water jetted out once l have the thing working,  l was thinking of making curved arms to throw the hole where the ram attaches further out  from the die ?
anyway heres a few pics of where l got to today

l was also looking at the track motor on a 13 ton excavator that was in the yard today, if l mounted one of them in a sturdy bench/stand and had a way of dropping the dies onto it, hex shape drive ?,  then l could just rotate the die with a simple lever valve,
 plan B then if this fails lol 

Offline Baloo

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 10:17:01 AM »

chopped a bit of the legs and fitted the castors

starting to look like a hat stand now  eyes

back on the bench and have a bash at making it pedal operation as well as lever

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 07:43:55 PM »

l was also looking at the track motor on a 13 ton excavator that was in the yard today, if l mounted one of them in a sturdy bench/stand and had a way of dropping the dies onto it, hex shape drive ?,  then l could just rotate the die with a simple lever valve,
 plan B then if this fails lol
+1!!!!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 10:08:15 PM »
How did you bend the tubes to build the tube bender with....

Looks nice BTW. ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 06:32:37 AM »
ring roller
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Baloo

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 08:16:18 AM »
ring roller

correct master

l had been looking for a ring roller for a long time but they dont seem to come up for sale very often,  when this one did come up for sale l had to dig deep into my pockets even though it only had tooling for box section, till this appeared l was planning on making one out of 3/4" steel plate and hydraulic motors, might even still make one yet,
as this had no round tooling l was limited to square/rectangular section untill one of my pals bought a cnc lathe  8)  dident take long to knock out 3 rollers for 1.5" tube  8)  have to work on him for the other sizes soon  ;)

l will be trying to "roll" a buggy out soon, l have this engine and box

the only thing different to normal is that the gearbox is cvt, same gearbox as you would find in the bmw mini over there, they are quite cheap over here as no one seems to like them as the engine revs bear no relation to road speed, being as they are not popular no one seems to know anything about them like are they strong enough for a buggy will they last or blow up on the first lap,  so since l have one l thought l would do some research, like test it to destruction lol,  am planning on making a rolled tube buggy to put it in, not to fussed about about using fancy suspension on it just want to see how the gearbox holds up,  in fact it might be better to run it on the standard nitrogen suspension that the doner car had as Alan has my old buggy that l built with the same engine but manual gearbox

my old buggy

which alan turned into this

so if my buggy is the same weight same suspension and same engine and same tyres as Alans then we can pit one against the other and see which is quicker/better, if l put long travel on this buggy and was 10 secs a lap quicker l wouldent know if the gearbox was  5 secs a lap quicker as well as the suspension or the suspension was 20 secs faster and the gearbox was 10 secs slower

anyway drifting/rambling a bit now but l will be rolling a buggy soon
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 08:17:54 AM by Baloo »

Offline Baloo

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 09:19:17 AM »
Baloo     

Here are a couple threads to another forum where you might see some ideas you might like to incorporate.

OFN Bender area here at this link

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95

This link below is more of bender stands and carts and it is in the link above somewhere too.

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531&highlight=slow

One thing I HAVE to point out.

If you read all those posts at the links above you will see more than a couple guys who build them like Cebby's have bender arm issues due to the angle the hydraulic cylinder is pushing on the moving arm. (There are some who have not. But many have)

Its not applying the force as much to bend the tubing as it is to trying to shear the pivot pin.

The Cylinders as the factory hydraulic setups push near perpendicular to the arms. While benders like Cebbies are almost parrellel to the arms.

I have seen more than a few guys who have the pivot pin bind and gall and wear the pivot hole out quick. Others get the two mounting bolts that cannot hold the stationary arm solid due to the forces of the wrong angle and these move and cause uneven or non repeatable bends.

Also using a tierod cylinder its not supported in the center and this causes the weight in the center to put a large load on the bender pivot again its not supposed to see and the rest or the load on the cylinders other end. This sagging cylinder causes other issues.

There is a pretty neat soulution to this to where a guy used a type of ball bearing on a flat plate to support the weight.

If its not in that other thread I linked it near there somewhere in those other threads.

Nutz

l read through a lot of them links you posted some interesting stuff on there, found myself on a cnc forum eventually :o  could easily get sucked into a cnc plasma table  eyes

found this pic which shows little angle to help the ram to move the arms

compared to mine which has much more ??, my guess is that it will work but l dont know how to calaculate it so l will just have to finish it and see what happens ?

think l need me one of them fancy degree rings you all seem to have  :)

Offline Baloo

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 10:17:03 AM »
this is gilding the lily a bit, english phrase for OTT  :)  but if l had an open/closed valve and mounted it above the hyd cylinder as in the sketch below l could use it to release the pressure going into the cylinder to stop the bending,  if l mounted a 1" round bar to the travelling end of the ram using a rose joint and suported it at the end of the cylinder with a bronze bush it would follow the piston in and out accuratly now mount on this a sliding collar with locking thumb screw that can be slid along the 1" bar, as the bar moves out the collar at some point would contact the valve and push it open stopping the cylinder ??
machine a flat on top of the 1" bar and fix a tape rule on this flat with now have a reference and it wouldent take long to work out what 45*, 90* etc was on the rule,  now you could set the slider to whatever angle you required stand on the pedal and the bender should stop at the set angle,  l guess l could reprint the tape measure in degrees if l was fussy

any of that make sense ??

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal