Author Topic: mill  (Read 10682 times)

trojan

Re: mill
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2009, 09:50:53 PM »
+1

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2009, 10:04:56 PM »
As long as you take it slow, it should work out. My uncle borrowed a mini lathe/drill combo thing from a friend. It worked fine as long as you didn't take a big cut. Anything cut close to what a large lathe would take would cause chatter.

Chatter? or flying parts and burned up motors?  I got one of those tiny bench lathes that I borrowed to make some small spacers and that thing scares me.  When I say tiny, I mean anything over about 1 1/4" OD, and you have to flip the jaws. It's like a 4"x12" lathe or something. Yes those are inches. :o
This post has been edited due to content.

plkracer

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2009, 11:00:25 PM »
No, it would pull it, just the whole unit wasn't heavy enough to take the load. It has a 1hp 110v motor and the chuck was 6 inches. I want to say the bed was 30 inches??

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2009, 04:55:10 AM »
Ha ha ha, how did I know you post pics of your shop Adam? Ya pretty proud of what ya's have got aren't ya?? Guess I would be too! ;D Old iron would be good iron, but unfortunately I wouldn't have a clue how it works or to fix it so you are very lucky in that respect Adam.. Not only that in OZ I haven't seen too many old quality American machines. I'd love to have a shop full of those sorts of machines!! ;D ;D ;D
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

artie on edge

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2009, 05:14:25 AM »
Following this thread cause I completely agree. Watched an old yankee mill, with worn bearings etc etc go for several thousand. Seems lots of people think the same....

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2009, 05:22:38 AM »
Not wrong Artie, you gotta have a wallet full of hundreds and be straight onto the adds where eva they maybe!  ::)
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline Grimm Reaper Racing

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2009, 09:54:52 AM »
Ha ha ha, how did I know you post pics of your shop Adam? Ya pretty proud of what ya's have got aren't ya?? Guess I would be too! ;D Old iron would be good iron, but unfortunately I wouldn't have a clue how it works or to fix it so you are very lucky in that respect Adam.. Not only that in OZ I haven't seen too many old quality American machines. I'd love to have a shop full of those sorts of machines!! ;D ;D ;D

The point I was trying to make is, if your patient, and you know where to look, you can get a great deal.

I live in the States, so I take for granted that we have boat loads of old machines flying around for sale.  I get at least one ad a week at the shop advertising used machinery.  There are lots of good deals too. (some not so good as well)  With the economy in a state of $h!t and lots of places closing their doors, there are some really good buys right now in the states.  My boss goes to auctions about once a month and finds a steal.

As for, you wouldn't have a clue on how it works or to fix it?  I don't understand that, if you can't work on an old mechanical machine with very simple circuits, how would you be able to work on a newer machine that has more complex bull crap for internals?  That's just my opinion.

I'm proud of my boss for starting a business from the ground up and sticking with it all of these years.  As for me being proud of the things I don't have...???  Hell I'm the luckiest mofo on this site.  I don't take that for granted either.  I was just letting everyone know you can find a deal every once and awhile, and I would put my money into a good quality piece of machinery.  Most of what's in our shop was inexpensive because the Chief is so tight he squeaks ;D 
See you all duneside.😎🤙

magnum4598

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2009, 04:53:31 PM »
i have the same 12 x 36 laithe i love it i know thats there is better out there but with the addition of a quick change tool post and propper cutting tools
i am able to reproduce dim with out troghble its just practice with that machine
i have the mill its not great like my laithe but i use it..... i have a chance to get a b/p mill and ill still use my mill for a heavy drill it works awsome for 1" holes with out chatter
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 05:18:04 PM by magnum4598 »

magnum4598

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2009, 04:56:28 PM »
my father worked for the comp in cinci that built those mach he was a machinist for 40 years i still have his tools

magnum4598

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2009, 05:01:37 PM »
doug i saw a pic of a guy that got sucked into a laith is on the internet somewhere
you could not tell it was a person  looked like a hunk of meat with legs

magnum4598

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2009, 05:15:25 PM »
you all have seen my shop im my pic i wish i could keep it clean lol
right now it looks like a tornado hit it
and i just cleaned it last week omg its nasty now but that is my secret to getting a sand rail fabed out in a week i dont pick up or clean till i am done most of the time
all that time is spent working on my jobs lol

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2009, 07:26:29 PM »
the link im about to post is of the aforementioned pictures of a lathe accident. if you cant look at stuff like this please dont click on the link. it made my stomach hurt.. 

http://www.lildobe.net/gallery2/v/Disasters/indacc/Lathe_Accident/
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

SPEC

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2009, 08:44:50 PM »
OH MY GOD
That is horrible

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2009, 08:50:40 PM »
That's horrible.TAKE SAFETY SERIOUSLY!!!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2009, 09:50:55 PM »
that gives me a whole new respect for those kind of tools.. the thought of being alone machining something and slipping.... then a loved one finding you? with the lathe still turning... ugh.. makes me sick..
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal