Author Topic: question of fox damping.  (Read 6538 times)

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: question of fox damping.
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 09:48:54 PM »
My build log may not be quite up to date.  ;)

But I have been busier than heck as well. 

If you are going to do it I would be glad to help.  I can take shocks on and off, and observe the inner shock surgery to see what I am in for.  rofl

odypilots

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 04:24:42 AM »
Ya,I agree. I'd probably go in 10# diffs myself.

Yup, I should have added, "You may find yourself needing to pull them back apart to back track if making changes of 20". Also, the shocks I was tuning are on a ATV Racing long travel kit on a Honda Pilot, which has the shocks nearly vertical. I believe the motion ratio is 1:1. I not sure, but my pea brain thinks changes will be less pronounced with that ratio.

Offline sandracer1

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 05:28:46 AM »
Maybe this will help you. My Revolt is 850lbs without me in it. I believe my shocks are set up 120/90 from fox. I got alot of body roll out of it so I added 30cc of oil which helped a lot and lowered my ride height but also helped on landings. I pumped up the nitrogen pressure by 40 lbs when I rode at LS versus where I normally ride. You really must have a Nitrogen set up if you have these shocks. I think I put my rig together for about $200.00. I would just call Fox and tell them what you have and they can suggest a starting point for you. They will revalve them for free once after you have bought them so you can get a second set of valves for free if you do that.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 05:56:41 AM »
I don't think that you are right on the valving you have. Fox runs their system on percentages of dampening fro 10%to 90%. 100% would lock the shock theoretically. I may be wrong but that's the way I understand it.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 07:50:58 AM »
Is oil level a variable for the coil over shocks as well?  And viscosity?

Adnoh

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 08:07:20 AM »
Oil levle no and viscosity yes on shocks with rezzies. The airs use oil and gas as an adjustments used in conjustion with the shim while coil over use spring rates and transitions /pre load collors. Gas pressure can be a slight varible in coil overs to the point of cavation.  It's harder to dial out body role with airs with out changing ride height than with coil overs and transition spacers ( on dual rate set up) and compressiion adjusters. This refering to slow shaft speed ( low speed ) good for body role and woops.

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 08:54:25 AM »
Why is it that nobody tries different weights of oil? Is 5w the only weight Fox recommends?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 07:54:53 PM by Enemy »
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 05:06:44 PM »
My build log may not be quite up to date.  ;)

But I have been busier than heck as well. 

If you are going to do it I would be glad to help.  I can take shocks on and off, and observe the inner shock surgery to see what I am in for.  rofl

I posted this over a year ago for the 2.0 fox shock guys.
http://dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=1051.0
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 08:16:21 PM »
2.0 coil overs are pretty much the same thing. Minor differences. If you can do one you know how to get the other kind done.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Adnoh

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 08:30:24 AM »
Make sure to take a temp gun with you to log the numbers. If you traction increases due to better valving than the temp should so up. The heat increase means the shock is working more and not skipping over the bumps.  Than you can compare the numbes to the viscosity of the fluid. The non rezzie shock should have a higher heat reading than a rezzie if pushed long enough. One can also take different reading for longer and short section and and see if the shock damping will loose some of its effectivness as the heat builds warrenting a viscosity change.

Offline sandracer1

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 03:14:10 PM »
Why is it that nobody tries different weights of oil? Is 5w the only weight Fox recommends?

I forgot to mention that. I went to a 5W oil as well instead of the 0 weight or whatever Fox uses, it is very thin.

Offline sandracer1

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 03:17:54 PM »
I don't think that you are right on the valving you have. Fox runs their system on percentages of dampening fro 10%to 90%. 100% would lock the shock theoretically. I may be wrong but that's the way I understand it.

You are probably correct. I was going from memory of what I thought I was told about a year ago. The 30cc of heavier weight oil helped me so much I moved back to the clutching and turbo issues at hand. I will try and check it out again.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal