Author Topic: king vs fox vs ???  (Read 15136 times)

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
Re: king vs fox vs ???
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 09:28:06 PM »
Fox does not offer optional pistons but... I have made some custom pistons to suit FOX shocks for some serious race guys so it can be done on a custom application. The custom pistons I made also had a option on blocking off certian flow ports.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 09:30:24 PM »
why the flow port block?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 09:39:25 PM »
I have no idea. Just customer specs.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 09:45:25 PM »
it would be interesting to know! I know king told transman about fluttering the valve stack which was interesting as well but when I asked mark about fox shocks he said he'd heard of it but didn't think it would worth it on a fox shock.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

trans man

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 05:54:27 PM »
if you have 20/20 valving and need to slow the compression rate down but not the rebound does this mean you now 40/20 is it even possible? or should you just change pistons? does king end at 20 and then you have to change pistons? see these are the q's I don't understand. now with fox shocks I know I can go all the way to 2-1 valving maybe a step higher with out changing piston in fact I don't know if they offer different pistons.
The 20 valving is as big as King goes on the 2.0 air shocks. If you need to to go slower on rebound you have to get a different piston from King which will have small holes on the rebound side of the piston, but the same size holes on the compression side you already have. The price of a different piston from King is $35.

In the case of my shocks (King 2.0 air shocks) I am running 20/20 valving with .008 smaller holes in the piston on the rebound side verses the compression side.  8) 8) 8) 

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 06:49:37 PM »
The 20 valving is as big as King goes on the 2.0 air shocks. If you need to to go slower on rebound you have to get a different piston from King which will have small holes on the rebound side of the piston, but the same size holes on the compression side you already have. The price of a different piston from King is $35.

In the case of my shocks (King 2.0 air shocks) I am running 20/20 valving with .008 smaller holes in the piston on the rebound side verses the compression side.  8) 8) 8)

Holy crap, a 20 stack on rebound? How much unsprung weight do you have?

FWIW, you can do the exact same valving with a King that you can with a Fox. You just need to order your shims individually to create the same stack. The Fox stacks are set-up to be a little softer at high shaft speeds. While not digressive they aren't a linear rate like the King stacks.

Going with smaller holes or less holes in the piston will only effect the high speed damping, your low speed (which rebound is) will not be effected by the port size. IMHO, you should never close off ports as it can create pressure spikes. There are other better ways to deal with those types of problems.

People to talk to at King. Brett, Mike or Iribe.

Todd is the only guy I know at Fox other than John and he don't answer a phone...... I actually prefer the way Fox's are made in several areas over Kings.

If your going Bilstiens, Joel is the man.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 06:52:01 PM »
King shocks are a good shock to run.  IMO 8) 8) 8) The initial setup can vary so much from car to car and in what kind of a ride a person wants. My experience with air shocks are that King's need some modifications done to them. Kings run a solid aluminum puck to stop the shock then it fully extends. If that happens on a hard enough hit, there is a steel 3/16'' washer inside that will bend and the valve stack will become loose. Which loses the tension on the holding nut (nonlocking), causing it to back it's self off and the shock will fly apart. Fox runs an 80 pound spring instead of a aluminum puck and a locking nut for the valve stack. Then one of my kings blew apart the only thing that contained it was my 27'' limit strap, which be came 31'' long! :o :o :o In repairing my air shocks I got locking nuts and hardened steel washers from King and those 80# springs from fox. Installing the fox's spring in a king shock was a very easy change. After doing this to my front air shocks, I am very happy with them. The only man at King I will deal with from now after this experience is Brett. He spent a few hours on the phone helping me out! ;D ;D ;D

As far as figuring out spring rates on coil overs, king will exchange your coil springs FREE of charge for different springs if you buy the springs for them. The only thing I had to pay for was the shipping both ways which was $35 total for me in Nebraska. This is just my .02 and you can decide from there. 8) 8) 8)

If your limit strap is stretching 4" you need better straps. The shocks are not meant to be used as limit straps and if your strap was stretching that much, it is what caused the failure.

trans man

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 07:03:43 PM »

If your limit strap is stretching 4" you need better straps. The shocks are not meant to be used as limit straps and if your strap was stretching that much, it is what caused the failure.
I'm running Beard quad limiting straps then and now. That strap was the only thing that kept my shock from totally flying apart when the shock came apart interally. That shock would have became a flying missile with out those straps! 8) 8) 8)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 07:08:13 PM »
I have to agree that if your straps are stretching 4" you should buy better bungee cords.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

trans man

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 07:22:23 PM »
It only stretched that far the shock came apart interally before I knew that there was any thing wrong. The other side was only stretched 1/2" and still had 3/4" to go before that shock would be fully extended out. There's nothing wrong with those straps. 8) 8) 8)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 07:27:07 PM »
I still can't see how a strap stretched that far. Oh well.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

trans man

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 07:37:16 PM »
I still can't see how a strap stretched that far. Oh well.
DS and Doug were at LS with me when it all happened and seen it for them selves. I can't believe that strap didn't snap myself. 8) 8) 8)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 07:39:30 PM »
What stretched it?Couldn't be spring pressure.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

trans man

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010, 07:43:40 PM »

Holy crap, a 20 stack on rebound? How much unsprung weight do you have?

FWIW, you can do the exact same valving with a King that you can with a Fox. You just need to order your shims individually to create the same stack. The Fox stacks are set-up to be a little softer at high shaft speeds. While not digressive they aren't a linear rate like the King stacks.

Going with smaller holes or less holes in the piston will only effect the high speed damping, your low speed (which rebound is) will not be effected by the port size. IMHO, you should never close off ports as it can create pressure spikes. There are other better ways to deal with those types of problems.

People to talk to at King. Brett, Mike or Iribe.

Todd is the only guy I know at Fox other than John and he don't answer a phone...... I actually prefer the way Fox's are made in several areas over Kings.

If your going Bilstiens, Joel is the man.
I don't know the weight off the top of my head, but that's the setup that works to me. As I have said before, every car is different and everybody drives differently. 8) 8) 8)

trans man

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 07:47:52 PM »
What stretched it?Couldn't be spring pressure.
It was caused by the shock going farther out then it should have. With the shock apart interally it was going past the factory shock stop and hitting the limiting strap. 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 07:54:29 PM by trans man »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal