Author Topic: tube caps??  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
tube caps??
« on: February 24, 2010, 04:27:01 PM »
What are you guys using for the end of open tube?  Was looking for something more interesting than welding it smooth.  Thought about the handlebar end caps for motorcycle's, but just thought I would ask.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: tube caps??
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 05:27:22 PM »
What are you guys using for the end of open tube?  Was looking for something more interesting than welding it smooth.  Thought about the handlebar end caps for motorcycle's, but just thought I would ask.

Engine soft plugs work good.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 05:45:24 PM »
i weld some metal plugs on some, grind sand and then paint.  But I was looking at something w/a little more shine like these....

You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

LiveWire

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 12:31:26 PM »
On some tubes that I am not concerned about adding strength, I used some plastic end caps. I'm not sure what their normal use is for. They have 3 flexible ribs that hold them on after being pounded in.

Odyknuck

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 12:55:18 PM »
AA-MFG.com sells Square and round weld in tubing end caps pretty cheap.

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 08:20:47 PM »
On my quad frames, I use quarters for 1" and dimes for 3/4". Cheaper than making or buying.
In the words of my father "Never give up too soon, you might miss a good piece."

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 09:51:03 PM »
On my quad frames, I use quarters for 1" and dimes for 3/4". Cheaper than making or buying.

Defacing Money.........  nono     Good idea.  ;D

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 02:09:37 AM »
How does it look? rofl
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 10:36:54 AM »
that woul be neat with the coin showing its detail. With he metal of the coins how does it weld? I nice clean tig weld would look best aginst the coin IMO

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 05:18:07 AM »
that woul be neat with the coin showing its detail. With he metal of the coins how does it weld? I nice clean tig weld would look best aginst the coin IMO
Yeah I reckon that would look great, that's why I asked what it looked like, and I put rof in cause I think it's funny that he used the coin instead of cutting something out.....
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 05:35:59 AM »
Crazy enough is the money is likely worth MORE as an end cap on a tube than it is AS money!

Be neat if you could still cut a round tube cap and drill a little hole in it and weld a rosette type weld to than back of the coin only then weld the metal to the tube. IF you could do this without destroying the look of the coin at all.

Of course the tubes diameter would have to be a bit larger than the coin to do it.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 08:18:51 AM »
Yes tig is what I do. I learned this trick from a sprint car builder. He used nickles on 7/8" rear bumper ends. It cost more to cut a cap out, than a nickle. Most of my projects are worth change even when crashed. The pictures aren't real clear, but you get the idea. Don't tell the treasury. Tim
In the words of my father "Never give up too soon, you might miss a good piece."

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 08:20:50 AM »
Oops didn't get other side.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal